? about HD Sportster

08fz6

Bullsh*t!!!!! and beyond that you are the typical BS artist that doesn't have a clue what you are talking about other than to bash Harley. Go for it because I have seen folks like you come and go so many times I don't care to remember. I haven't hard the opportunity to run down the new 1300 yet but I don't see it as being a problem

Warrior, now theres a laugh.....
sold them for ten years bud and have converted many! little hard to care about a frame when they are constantly breaking down! and wait a min i got yelled at for the swearing and i see one of this forum's finest is swearing... hmmmm thats speical.... you dont know me and guess what you never will! so lets keep the whining to a minimum and crying because there are many more people here that don't like Harley than there are here that do.... As said before Harley is a lifestyle end of story....

B

Bo67

There was a huge amount of R&D that went into the building of the XR1200 because Harley didn't want the let down that occurred with the previous attempt known as the XR1000, which was the old iron head. They also failed with the XLCR 1000 Cafe Racer, which was also an iron head. They out all the good stuff in that XR1200 and to think it's only the beginning for that bike. When they first came out I went to Skip Fordyce in Riverside California and told them I would put up a $1,000 deposit and my FZ6 for trade and they wouldn't take it. They couldn't take it because they knew it was never meant for sale in the US but this may change as demand for the bike is huge among Sportster riders. That bike has major potential and the aftermarket Harley folks would have a field day with it.

I wonder how many people would need to 'ping' H-D to get them to bring the XR1200 to the States?

To expand on this, I would love to see a naked FZ6 sold in the States. I love my ride but if i drop it it's just more plastic that I need to shell out money to replace...

I don't know much at all about Harleys but I've ridden a lot of them. Most of my instructor buddies have at least one of them; as a matter of fact, I think I'm the only instructor that has JUST one bike.

The one thing that kinda bugs me about the Sportsters is the air cleaner. I'm a "knees on the tank" kinda rider but that air cleaner bugs the heck outta me; me right knee keeps hitting it.

I like Harleys for what they are but to be honest, I'm on a limited budget so the FZ6 is great for me now.

I did take out a GSX1000R last week and fell in love with it. Great bike! I'll have to paint it red though if I get it so that my wife thinks it's my FZ6!

I'll also have to come up with some excuse as to where the extra money is going from the checking account every month... ;)

08fz6

Being that its an "American" Company you would think the US would be the first place it came out.... but as far as that goes prob has to do with regulations and how well they think it will sell.

DefyInertia

Hav, you don't like the Warrior or the Raider? Maybe the finish isn't as nice as a similar HD in classic car type terms but still great bikes in terms of ridability and value, no?

sold them for ten years bud and have converted many!
you've been selling WHAT since you were 12? You're 22, right? Just asking...

H

HavBlue

Being that its an "American" Company you would think the US would be the first place it came out.... but as far as that goes prob has to do with regulations and how well they think it will sell.

In some ways I agree but the MoCo has been hit 3 times in the past with failures on a tech driven machine for them. The V-Rod is an awesome machine and it's sales in the US have been well below the MoCo expectations however, that same bike does quite well in the EU where things tend to be more techno driven. So, rather than take the chance on a fourth outing failure the bike was introduced in Europe and so far it seems to be gathering steam. If you ask Sportster folks about the bike it's what we have been waiting for but this isn't enough in terms of sales to drive what the MoCo wants for it's effort. I have a feeling the outcry for the bike will bring it here in the future if it continues to develop a following.

08fz6

yup thats right believe it or not when i wasn't in school I was at my dad's shop and sold my fair share of motorcycles, ATV's, Snowmobiles, and Generators.... When all the other little kids were playing I was working! worked 6 days a week for my dad from 11 years on up when I wasn't at school. I didn't do the paper work but I made the deals after double checking prices with the boss (dad).

H

HavBlue

Hav, you don't like the Warrior or the Raider? Maybe the finish isn't as nice as a similar HD in classic car type terms but still great bikes in terms of ridability and value, no?

you've been selling WHAT since you were 12? You're 22, right? Just asking...

It's not that I don't like them DI. As it is I have their sibling and don't use it. Here, it's going on 3 years old and has less than 2,000 miles on it. trust me, it wasn't my idea to get it either as I just ain't old enough for that bike yet but the misses is and she likes that back seat pad. The bike hasn't been a problem but then again it hasn't been out long enough to be one either. I will however say it has the fuel gauge issue they all do. Yeah, and the fuel mileage on that thing sucks too (36mpg). I think the kids had it out twice last year and I rode it for about 30 miles one day. That seat is flat huge and it is pretty comfortable but I still hate floorboards.......

Attachments

H

HavBlue

sold them for ten years bud and have converted many! little hard to care about a frame when they are constantly breaking down! and wait a min i got yelled at for the swearing and i see one of this forum's finest is swearing... hmmmm thats speical.... you dont know me and guess what you never will! so lets keep the whining to a minimum and crying because there are many more people here that don't like Harley than there are here that do.... As said before Harley is a lifestyle end of story....
Sure ya did.... Why don't you whip out that neat New York auto/bike sales license on us....

08fz6

It's not that I don't like them DI. As it is I have their sibling and don't use it. Here, it's going on 3 years old and has less than 2,000 miles on it. trust me, it wasn't my idea to get it either as I just ain't old enough for that bike yet but the misses is and she likes that back seat pad. The bike hasn't been a problem but then again it hasn't been out long enough to be one either. I will however say it has the fuel gauge issue they all do. Yeah, and the fuel mileage on that thing sucks too (36mpg). I think the kids had it out twice last year and I rode it for about 30 miles one day. That seat is flat huge and it is pretty comfortable but I still hate floorboards.......
Too old? Wow ok.... i could understand maybe if it was a Silverado... but what does age have to do with a cruiser? back seat pad aka sissy bar, back rest etc.... you can get them for your fz6..when you refer to being too old I would say it is when you hit the Trike stage and have no medical reason for it.. Thats when your old....

R

Raid The Revenge

You want a motorcycle that was involved in WWI and WWII?

Survived the depression?

You need a Harley Davidson.

HD helped make some of the coolest films like, "Big Trouble In Little China," "Knight Rider TV," "Terminator 2," "The Scarecrow," "Easy Rider" and "The Punisher (The one I liked but nobody else did?)."

Sportbikes are great, but not on the BIG SCREEN man.

Look at this movie:

I tried VERY HARD to like this movie, but it just SUCKED!! There were sportbikes everywhere, so why did it fail? It's because it had NO APPEAL whatsoever.

Check out this movie:

What happened to this movie? There was an AWESOME motorcycle scene near the end!! I liked it, but nobody else did...why??? It's because it had NO APPEAL again (plus a weak story and bull**** stunts).

I think Sportbikes are the coolest vehicles in the world, but they just don't have as much ego as cruisers like Harley or Triumph. Even Vstar has a greater selection of bikes available than YAMAHA sport/street ones.

Look at AMERICAN CHOPPER!! That's one of the biggest shows on TV, yet they're working on CUSTOMS!! Why so popular?? Because it HAS APPEAL.

Have you ever gone camping? Bringing just a tin-pan with a leaky tent and a can of beans? That's awesome. (Look at "Easy Rider!!" That happened HOW MANY TIMES??)

Some people go camping with a giant RV that has more features than my cave I call a home!!

It's more appealing to go camping with a leaky tent than a motorhome.

With that mentality in mind, you can understand why people buy Harley Davidson.

Attachments

W

wolfc70

I like the VRSC Night Rod, but at $17K I think it is about $3000 too dear for the market, if the prices were closer to that of say BMW, HD would meet their sales goals.

H

HavBlue

I like the VRSC Night Rod, but at $17K I think it is about $3000 too dear for the market, if the prices were closer to that of say BMW, HD would meet their sales goals.
MSRP on the 2008 Night Rod is like 14,990. The Yamaha Warrior midnight is like 12,990. I'll take the V-Rod....

W

wolfc70

MSRP on the 2008 Night Rod is like 14,990. The Yamaha Warrior midnight is like 12,990. I'll take the V-Rod....

If dealers here actually went by MSRP, not the "market price" I have seen, I would seriously consider the Night Rod at $14k. That is one sweet looking bike. If I could only win the lottery..

08fz6

Sure ya did.... Why don't you whip out that neat New York auto/bike sales license on us....
The shop needs the license not the employees, you really aren't as smart as you think you are! When its a family owned age doesn't have a whole lot of say besides I had my working papers....

wolfc70 may be talking about the night rod speical that one is $16,695, night rod is $14,495 and the regular Vrod is $16,695. Not digging the flat black! has anyone here ever tried to clean bugs off of flat black? not a whole lot of fun....

The performance of the warrior is drastically changed with exhaust and fuel map. lets see you do that and you are in the wopping $13,500 range....

H

HavBlue

The shop needs the license not the employees.

The performance of the warrior is drastically changed with exhaust and fuel map. lets see you do that and you are in the wopping $13,500 range....
Correct, so where's the dealer license?

The Warrior, standard would have to make up over 30hp and better than a second in a quarter mile to start off with and this was the 1150 VROD. The 2008 is 1250CC and has even more HP with a better quarter mile than the early model and you don't have to touch it at all so you can spend the the difference in goodies and gas. Care to try again....

F

FZSex

2 things about HD. They never seem to go very far and they appear not to be that reliable.

A really good metric cruiser is the old Suzuki Intruder 1100. I think they finished making that model in about 1996. If you search for Intruder Alert Cafe and go into the 1100 section you will see how much the guys love them.

I had the 800 but if I went back to cruisers it would be the 1100 for me.

HD is more of a lifestyle, not just a motorbike.

Steve
LOL HD's are great bikes and I'm proud that we STILL MAKE SOMETHING in the USA that is reliable and looks great. Don't hate on the last great american company. I cant even buy DINNERWARE made in America.

Also, I had a nightster and got more complements on that bike than any other I've ever owned. Don't think twice about owning a Harley. :rockon:

Hellgate

Hey Everyone, just a reminder to play nice in the sandbox, we are all here to have fun, learn from one another and discuss our passion: the FZ6 and motorcycling. :thumbup:

F

FZSex

You can just throw a briggs and stratton on any old minibike frame and it's essentially the same thing.

No bang for the buck, and they NEED to be rebuilt after 20,000 miles or so. I don't see the attraction myself. A kid at the station got one for $6,000, and it had 28,000miles on it. It runs like crap, handles even worse, and actually has to be choked manually to run right from starting. Not a fan of the V-twin, and I'm even LESS a fan of Harley's 1200 or 883.

My brother had an 883 for a year, and it was a sled. He got it brand new, but soon ran out of puppy love for it. I took it for a cruise and remembered thinking, "It's no KZ1000!"

To each his own, but I don't get the mystique surrounding them. They're crap!

A good friend of mine just got his SECOND Kawasaki Vulcan 1800, this time with the hard bags. He loves that bike, and got 20,000 miles or so out of the last one he had. I'd say go check those out before a Hog POS.
OK my last view and post on this sad topic... read everything from vstars being easier to work on (I can't remember removing my exhaust to change oil... plus in less than 400 miles, I sold my 2nd vstar 650 for my fz ... cause the 650 quit running......) ...oh and no valve adjustments on those crap harleys, folks..

My nightster had a "ancient primitive" 1200cc motor (twice that of our awesome fz) and still got the same mileage ... plus its a heavy bike. Perfect FI, paint, you name it.

My warrior was a great bike, just like the vstars and roadstar 1600 I had but it didn't have that vibe like the POS nightster gave me :confused:

08fz6

Correct, so where's the dealer license?

The Warrior, standard would have to make up over 30hp and better than a second in a quarter mile to start off with and this was the 1150 VROD. The 2008 is 1250CC and has even more HP with a better quarter mile than the early model and you don't have to touch it at all so you can spend the the difference in goodies and gas. Care to try again....
so wheres the dealer license what you want me to take a pic of them and put them on here nice try... I was told I have to be nice to you, so I am trying it is very hard! enough about the Vrod this was started as a sportster thread and as usual you got it into a downward thread about a totally different bike... so back on topic the sportster. HavBlue takes so much personally.... Think he needs to act his age never meant to insult him as a man...... Wow....:ban: