A solemn question about life and how you would react?

MustGoFaster

but my question is what will YOU do?
.... Check my first sentence, last paragraph, sir. It states that I would try to survive as best I can. In addition to that, yes, I too, would be afraid. It's what keeps you alive. I'd try to keep my loved ones safe as best I could. If that wasn't possible and it was time to die, then I'd try to leave this plane of existence being at peace with myself and surrounded by those I love.

CrazyCawi

.... Check my first sentence, last paragraph, sir. It states that I would try to survive as best I can. In addition to that, yes, I too, would be afraid. It's what keeps you alive. I'd try to keep my loved ones safe as best I could. If that wasn't possible and it was time to die, then I'd try to leave this plane of existence being at peace with myself and surrounded by those I love.
I read it but I was curious of more detail as in whats important to you when that time comes, but you awnsered and said the parts I wascurious about :)

Spunky99

Not to start a religious fight or anything, but to proclaim you have zero fear of death whatsoever because you are a Christian is nonsense. When the situation happens, you'll be afraid. it's a natural, automatic chemical reaction that doesn't care what your creed is.

But saying you won't be afraid at all when the time comes because you have religion is kind of like saying you could knock out Junior Dos Santos because you watch Billy Blanks Tai Bo videos. Or you could outrace Casey Stoner because you killed it at your last local club track day.

Facing real death is not going to be a situation you can prepare for, unless you've faced it before. And even then, you'll probably know it's something to be avoided, and hence feared. People fear death. It is natural. It's a defense mechanism bred into our genetic makeup that conveniently helps us avoid it for as long as possible.

So to the original question, how would I react? I'd be afraid./ but hopefully I would handle my fear, push through it, and persevere as long as possible. I sincerely hope I would never give up, and fight the good fight right until the end.

Fear is unavoidable. How you handle it is what defines your end.
I agree somewhat with what you are saying but being a 58 year old Vietnam era vet who surfed 14 foot Pipeline and raced motorcycles, I really don't have much fear anymore. Doing aerobatics doesn't phase me either. Just because I'm scared of the unknown doesn't mean I'd drop a load in my shorts or be paralyzed especially if I have to show bravery and calm to help calm my loved ones. Remaining calm when TSHTF is what distinguishes us from mindless animals and all combat veterans know this.

myard12

I think I would just spend it with my friends and family and hope for the best. Maybe sit there and play Black Ops 2 the whole night. And when the world doesn't end, I think there are going to be a lot of babies September 2013.

CrazyCawi

I agree somewhat with what you are saying but being a 58 year old Vietnam era vet who surfed 14 foot Pipeline and raced motorcycles, I really don't have much fear anymore. Doing aerobatics doesn't phase me either. Just because I'm scared of the unknown doesn't mean I'd drop a load in my shorts or be paralyzed especially if I have to show bravery and calm to help calm my loved ones. Remaining calm when TSHTF is what distinguishes us from mindless animals and all combat veterans know this.
Thank you for your duties. My father was a vietnam vet, crew chief on a ch47, purple heart and a few other distinguished awards as well. I have heard his stories and appreciate the things you had to do, and thank you for enduring the piss poor welcome home.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member
Last edited:

Spunky99

I totally agree, and that was essentially my point. Everyone faced with death will experience fear. How you handle it tho is a different story.

Also, shame on me for assuming you were just a run-of-the-mill dude who loves to proclaim he has no fear of death because he found jesus and yet the most dangerous thing he's done is go grocery shopping. had I known you were a fellow veteran, I would have worded my response very differently. Cheers!
No shame....you were right. Most guys don't know what it's like to stare death in the face. I just happen to like to do it for fun. Try landing an airplane solo for the first time...LOL...that is scary and if you are a wanna be hero, COD player without the proper training, you will have "short gravy" running down your leg. My first solo, I looked to the right and imagined Jesus sitting there as my co-pilot and I was calm and completely in charge.
It takes some serious training to keep a cool head when all hell is breaking loose around you and that is what the Military teaches you.
Thank you for your service Mike

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

DragonBlu

Having been to the edge a couple times it is amazing the calmness that comes over one. I'm sure I would piss myself but then probably just say,well I guess this is how it ends. :)

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Spunky99

Having nearly drowned when I was young, I remember one thing about facing death; there's an eerie calm and peace before you lose consciousness.
Not for me....I spent 5 miles in the Kern river in unrated rapids and mostly underwater in the deepest river depth ever recorded. There was no peace...I fought like hell with every ounce of strength I had even when the darkness came and I got a small bit of air. I almost drowned many many times and all I thought about was staying calm and to get my head up where I could get some air to stay alive. I saw the light turn to a small pinhole over and over again as I was losing consciousness and believe me..there was no peace. I was at war.....

CrazyCawi

Not for me....I spent 5 miles in the Kern river in unrated rapids and mostly underwater in the deepest river depth ever recorded. There was no peace...I fought like hell with every ounce of strength I had even when the darkness came and I got a small bit of air. I almost drowned many many times and all I thought about was staying calm and to get my head up where I could get some air to stay alive. I saw the light turn to a small pinhole over and over again as I was losing consciousness and believe me..there was no peace. I was at war.....
thats extremely intense and humbling, both yours and alaska's stories.