A Nail? Really? Should I replace it? Ack!

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

Neme

Same thing happened to me. Less than 100 miles on brand new tires and I get a nail in the rear. I've been riding with a plug for about 1200 miles. I should replace that pretty soon. I'm testing my luck.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Brock Kickass

I work in the tire business, and I deal with plugs every day. A plug is not intended to be permanent repair. It is only intended to get you off the side of the road and to a shop to have the tire repaired properly or replaced. This goes for any type of tire. People will argue this point ad nauseum, but it is a fact.

People have told me that they use plugs and they never leak. Sure, it can happen, but they aren't designed to work that way. Lots of people smoke and never get cancer, but cigarettes still CAN cause cancer and you are INCREASING your risk of cancer if you smoke them. Lots of people use plugged tires and never have a problem, but plugs CAN fail and you are INCREASING your risk of a tire suddenly failing at high speed and causing a crash if you use one.

If you have a leaking tire, plug it, and then ride CAREFULLY to the nearest reputable tire shop and have them assess the proper way to fix it. Same goes for automotive tires. People underestimate how unstable and dangerous a car or truck can become if a tire suddenly fails at highway speed. Remember; all that is between you and 60mph of very abrasive asphalt is a couple of patches of rubber smaller than a playing card. Think about that when you are thinking about having tires repaired or replaced.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Andy

That Sucks.....Been There

That sucks. Happend to me with 200 miles on bike. Like mentioned before plug is very temporary repair. Their really made for low pressure tires. Taking tire of and patching on the inside would be perfectly fine repair. No shop will do it when they can sell you a new tire. Thinking back I should have asked for 200 mile tire back and had it patched at tire shop and had a friend that works at dealership mount it back on next time its needed. Before anyone says you can't "patch tire" go to Dunlop site and check it out. Here it iz. Never go over 75...LOL never mind.

12 - Tire Repair

Some punctures in motorcycle tires may be repaired.

Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum 1/4-inch diameter) tread-area punctures from within the dismounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after repair, and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Advise your customer to check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected. See the Dunlop Service Advisory for additional motorcycle tubeless-tire repair information. Follow the same repair procedures for tires on rims requiring tube replacement. The repairer is solely responsible for the repair and any instructions to the repaired-tire user.

Advise your customers that no form of temporary repair should be attempted because secondary damage caused by a penetrating object may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.

Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form of temporary repair, and they may adversely affect ply material and mask secondary damage caused by a penetrating object. Advise your customers that reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and accident.

Last edited:

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Neme

I never really thought much of it but now after reading your reactions I'm scared to get back on the bike with a plugged tire! i like to push her quite often and get up to higher speeds. With a plug. How am I still alive?!?! Time to go get me a new conti-motion rear. May even jump up to a 180-55? Or 170-60.. hmm

Last edited by a moderator:

RoadTrip

I have used a goo product called 'Ride On' several times for tires that have been punctured, I just kept an eye on the tire frequently to monitor the puncture hole and checked pressure for excessive air loss. I have been happy with the product and feel it is a safe alternative to replacing the tire.

Andy

I dont really care, just hate when people say you cant repair.

The Dunlop site says this:

Jumps out and says "do it!" no? If you're pulling the tire off to patch it right anyway, why not spend the extra money to put a new tire on?
If I had a auto tire that has @ least half tread I'm spending 12$ to get it repaired rather than putting on a new $100 tire, and have never heard of speed limits on a auto tire after a patch repair has been made. They dont charge $50 to mount and dismount auto tires. Bike shop could fix it and charge $75 compared to $130-$190 for a new rear plus mounting. Parts wouldn't get to sell a new tire.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Brock Kickass

I work in a small independent shop. We specialize in custom and high performance applications. Motorcycle tires can be more difficult to repair than car tires because of the curved profile. I also have a hard time trusting a repaired motorcycle, again because of the curved profile. When repairing an automotive tire the patch is applied to a flat surface. A patch/plug that pulls through the tire from the inside out and applies a patch inside the tire attached to the base of the plug is the best way to repair a motorcycle tire, but I prefer to replace any motorcycle tire that will see a high speed (and therefore high heat) situation.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

xleeb0y13x

Bummer on the nail. I got lucky with the dealer I got my bike from and got a tire replacement plan. Pick up a nail get a brand new tire.

Sent using Jedi mind tricks!

FastFreddy

I did a repair once from a screw in that position, the tyre was too flobby after that, it wrecked the tension in the ply.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

I work in the tire business, and I deal with plugs every day. A plug is not intended to be permanent repair. It is only intended to get you off the side of the road and to a shop to have the tire repaired properly or replaced. This goes for any type of tire. People will argue this point ad nauseum, but it is a fact.

People have told me that they use plugs and they never leak. Sure, it can happen, but they aren't designed to work that way. Lots of people smoke and never get cancer, but cigarettes still CAN cause cancer and you are INCREASING your risk of cancer if you smoke them. Lots of people use plugged tires and never have a problem, but plugs CAN fail and you are INCREASING your risk of a tire suddenly failing at high speed and causing a crash if you use one.

If you have a leaking tire, plug it, and then ride CAREFULLY to the nearest reputable tire shop and have them assess the proper way to fix it. Same goes for automotive tires. People underestimate how unstable and dangerous a car or truck can become if a tire suddenly fails at highway speed. Remember; all that is between you and 60mph of very abrasive asphalt is a couple of patches of rubber smaller than a playing card. Think about that when you are thinking about having tires repaired or replaced.
Just one question, do you recommend that a car or truck tire be replaced if punctured?
Have run several tires on a car and truck that were patched by a tire shop after I made it there on a plug, wore them to the cord, and yes I did drive at high speeds on them.
Just curious!

Brock Kickass

Just one question, do you recommend that a car or truck tire be replaced if punctured?
Have run several tires on a car and truck that were patched by a tire shop after I made it there on a plug, wore them to the cord, and yes I did drive at high speeds on them.
Just curious!
A properly installed inside patch is a perfectly acceptable way to repair an automotive tire, and should not cause any change in the performance or lifespan of the tire. We charge $20 to patch a tire; much better than replacing, especially when you're running a 305/30R19 or something.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member