8000 miles... should I replace tires?

Rat

Using bike everyday (ride to work, lunch etc)...
So done like 8000 miles in 3 months and now I'm worrying about tires...
I did not notice any issues yet - but I'm worrying if they can still provide enough grip for tight turns etc... From another side riding season is about to end - so don't want to spend money on new tires and they will lose their capabilities through winter...
Any suggestions?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

stuna

I wish i could get 8 k on my tires :(
but you look in the tread there will be small bumps in there , those are the wear indicators
if your tread is wore flat with the indicators then your ready for tire

Rat

if your tread is wore flat with the indicators then your ready for tire
Thanks Stuna. Checked that... Seems like ready for new front tire... Rear still good since I replaced that like 2 months ago due to a puncture... But just not sure how it will impact handling if i will replace only front... Perhaps need to replace both...

stuna

Front only will be fine my current set up is conti road attack f
dunlop q2 rear works great . I really like the conti front :d
i will se how long the lop lasts
IF YOU HAVE A BRIGS FRONT , YOU WOULD LOVE THE CONTI FRONT . ITS SO QUIET

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Roaddawg

I rode mine to over 17,500 miles, and like Dart, they had a pretty flat center. I knew to keep it easy in the turns later in thier life...and, most of my riding has been freeway commuting. But, I just got new tires put on and I now realize how flat my tires really were. It feels like a new bike now when I turn in. The old tires felt like truck tires compared to new ones. I'd wait until the end of the season (if its gonna be short for you) and then replace the tires come spring time....unless, they feel too bad right now.

Funkmaxtor

Check out Tomahawk tires. They are only available online (that I found). They are actually a retreaded race tire. Very inexpensive and a race compound. Not great for touring but if you rip you will love these tires.

Welcome to Cycletires.com