500 miles - need a new chain!

ramflyer1899

So I took my bike in for it's first service today and got a real good lesson.

First let me catch everyone up. I bought my bike in IL this summer before I moved to Germany. So my first service is being done by a German dealer and not the dealer that sold me the bike.

Well I was expecting just to drop off the bike and pick it up tomorrow, but what happened was completely different.

They make you wait for the mechanic and he goes over the bike with you and shows you what's up. Checks the oil, tires for nails etc. Standard stuff. Then he measures the lag on the chain asking if it has ever been adjusted. Of course not! I say - that's why I'm here.

Well it turns out the IL dealer just put the bike together and sent it out. The German dealer showed me the booklet of things that have to be done before the bike can be given to the new owner.

One is that the chain comes too tight from the factory because of the way it's crated. The dealer should be loosening the chain before putting it on the road. If the chain is too tight it'll stretch unevenly and quickly start making strange noised and become a danger.

So now I have to figure out how to get the dealer in IL to pay for a new chain. The German dealer also showed me all the places that should have been greased or lubed by the IL dealer but they were all bone dry.

So 500 miles on the bike and I'm having the pre-delivery checklist and actions redone. :banghead:

Oh he also mentioned that all the FZ6R's they've gotten have had too much oil in them so the first they they do is take some out.

llervero

I was station in Germany for 5 years and one thing I did learn from them is that they all take their jobs very seriously and everytime I had to take a bike or a car to the shop they were very explanatory on what they did how they did it and how it was supposed to look like. Professionals at best. Not to bash on shops in the US but personally, here in the US I rather do maintenance myself.

ramflyer1899

I think it was great! Learned a lot and feel good about giving the dealer my bike for winter storage.

I know with them all will be 100% correct and in the spring I can trust that the most dangerous part of the bike will be me!

Oh - I just got off the phone with Yamaha USA and of course they say the warranty is not valid in Germany.

arcflash316

proud to be an American, but this makes me even more proud of my Deutsch roots!! NO I AM NOT CLAIMING WHITE POWER.... NO I AM NOT A SUPREMECIST..... Been called that too much so just clearing it up beforehand

arcflash316

ya I know, I got fam in Wiesbaden and Frankfurt My mom and g-pa grew up there and still speak it, I want to take my wife there soon

BluePill

I've worked for 2 motorcycle and 3 auto dealers through the years. It is scary to see how often PDI (pre-delivery inspection) items are overlooked by the mechanics (and sometimes pretend mechanics) that are being paid to do the work. It's a testimony to the quality of the Japanese workers who assemble most of the bike's parts that many more problems don't happen. I think you should get your German mechanic to state clearly on his invoice exactly what he found, then submit a complaint in writing to Yamaha USA. If they won't help, send another copy directly to Japan. My experience is that too FEW people complain, and the s**t just keeps going on.

Hope you're at least enjoying Octoberfest!

amirw

If I can't trust the dealer who should I trust?
I bought the bike to enjoy it not to check it everyday, not the cahin not the oil level and not nothing else. I want to ride it as I am driving my car.
I wanted to install K&N oil filter during the 600 service but the dealer told that it could void my warranty, did you hear it before ???
As a result of that I got to conclusion that they would probably do everithing to void the warranty, so why giving them the chance? Let the dealer do the services and log it in the book and then you are cover. Cost 300$ per service? so what, I am sure the chain and labor cost more.
Think about it

Amir

zig308

Could this explain the loud chain noise that some people have reported?

Mine isn't really noticeable, but it looks pretty well greased up by the dealer.

FitZ6R

I bought the bike to enjoy it not to check it everyday, not the cahin not the oil level and not nothing else.
No one said anything about "every day," but regularly checking the chain, tires, and fluids are part of the basic responsibility of operating a motorcycle.

Riding is a privilege, not an entitlement.

JSP

Super Moderator
No one said anything about "every day," but regularly checking the chain, tires, and fluids are part of the basic responsibility of operating a motorcycle.

+1

You should be doing those things quite frequently no matter what. Oil, chain, tire pressure, etc.

bsoder

I used to be stationed in Friedberg and anything mechanical I had done by a German was done right. There is a real sense of pride in their work that I wish we saw more of here. Not that it doesn't exist here but it's not as common as over there. I guess that's why the Germans are known for making such well built automobiles.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

itsmejaytee

+1
So does anyone know what the "regular lubing" would be? I usually check the coolant, tire psi, chain slack, and oil level every couple days or 50-100 miles or so (city riding miles). What else am i missing that needs some attention?? IMO i would want to take care of the maintenance/lube stuff myself because it is basic and i can be reassured that its done with quality. The dealership for me would be to bring it in for abnormal/warranty stuff...

FitZ6R

+1
So does anyone know what the "regular lubing" would be?
I usually get flamed :eek: for suggesting that people RTM, but it's all in there.

Basically, any moving part that's not internally lubricated will need occasional external lubrication. Levers & cables, pedals & linkages, swingarm bearings, sidestand, and of course the chain.

Heineken

Elite Member

itsmejaytee

I usually get flamed :eek: for suggesting that people RTM, but it's all in there.

Basically, any moving part that's not internally lubricated will need occasional external lubrication. Levers & cables, pedals & linkages, swingarm bearings, sidestand, and of course the chain.

Heh.. Sorry for being a noob. I guess i understand that certain things need to be "lubed" but how? and with what? Do i clean it off first or just squirt some WD-40 every so often?

cbzdel

I keep forgetting about my chain!! I probably need a new one to!! I lubed it probably 3 times in 4000 miles :(

I can never remember it at all because I am not use to that kinda of maintenance!

JSP

Super Moderator
I keep forgetting about my chain!! I probably need a new one to!! I lubed it probably 3 times in 4000 miles :(

I can never remember it at all because I am not use to that kinda of maintenance!
I'd put the rear up on a stand and in neutral. Spin the tire and check the slack at all points on the chain. Any binding in the chain or abnormally large slack points or tight spots, I would change it right away. Check the side that faces the right side of the bike also for rust.