4000 Mile Service Cost

Let me preface this by saying I usually do my own oil changes, coolant changes, etc. However, the bike now has 4000 miles and I've never taken it to be professionally serviced, so I thought I would get an estimate from the Yamaha dealer for this. I was a bit shocked when they came back with a price of $482.

I realize they are doing a lot of inspection (checking plugs, etc.), but this seems very high to me. Anyone else had this done for a better price?

Thanks.

latony007

holy crapoly, for 4000 miles? what do they actually do other than change the oil and adjust the chain? everything else is "inspection" right? I don't have my manual at work. I let them rip me for the 600 mile but I am skipping the 4000, I changed the oil myself, which is much better than the yamalube crap they have there, chain seems ok to me and I clean/lube it all the time. I may go back and get ripped for the next one depending on what they do but im going to insist they deduct the oil change cause I don't want their crap filters or oil. Castrol or Mobil 1 4t and K&N filters only for me.

Having coolant and brakes flushed on my cruiser and that's running 85 a piece plus fluids but that looks like a major PITA taking off the tank and stuff.

blkbrd

Elite Member

Blue-Sun

Elite Member
I emailed them back and said that their price was steep, asking if they would reduce it. If not, I'll just do most of it by myself. As was said above, most of it is inspection, or stuff that's probably not really necessary. For example, the service manual says to check and re-gap the spark plugs. After 4000 miles? Don't think that's necessary.

I'll do the oil change, chain maintenance, check the clutch, brakes, tires, etc. and then use the money I save to put toward a new helmet.

Strange thing is that if they would have done it for $250, I would have bit the bullet and taken it in. So, I guess they ultimately lose out of any money.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

latony007

I did my own oil change for the 4k service so it only cost me like $36 or so.
As you said it is mostly checking things over, not actually doing anything.

Check some other dealers. Also check on price difference if you do your own oil change. Around here hourly labor is around $89-$100/hour. I think they say oil change is typically base rate 30 minutes, so right there you would shave off say $50, plus the cost of oil that you would have purchased. Ultimately I bet you would shave off about $80.. Still though that overall cost is pretty high. Check around if you want dealer inspection but dont go for the cheapest also..

I always do my own oil, filter, sparkplug services. But I do pay for the shop to do everything else just to make sure it is all good. I can do the basics but prefer a shop for the other things to give me a better sense of feeling my bike is "safe" as I am not as mechanical as many others on here.

As far as price goes, My dealer mounts front/rear for me bringing my bike in for new tires for only $36. I had new tires mounted and braided brake lines installed for only something like $70. They also put on my new sprocket and chain last year for only about $40.
OMG If I would not freeze to death I would bring my bike up there to get it serviced lol. I am the exact same as you, I would like the "safer" feeling of having the dealer do the service and is one reason I bought a new bike so I didn't have to worry about someone elses problems. But 400$ for 4000 mile basically oil change is too much. I agree taking off the oil change at their ridiculous rates for oil and everything I bet would be $100. Don't you have to take the tank off to get to the spark plug? I am getting tires done tomorrow and that's around $100 to mount both, granted my cruiser is shaft drive so that probably makes it more of a pain to get the rear off. $85 an hour and they say an hour each to drain and replace all the brake fluid and the coolant (another have to take the tank off operation)

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

latony007

Thanks for all the info. The frustration is what kills me, I have the patience of a 12 year old. I think I will go ahead and pony up for that one at the next major service :)

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member
Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I did call another dealer who just quoted me $247 for the service, but he's two days late. I already decided to do it myself. Changed the oil and filter, lubed and adjusted the chain, inspected the brakes so far. I'm going to inspect/lube the other items on the list, and just omit the spark plugs this time, since there's only 4000 miles. I'll replace them at the 8000 mile mark.

On top of that, I went out to the original dealer ($482 quote) to get the Yamaha oil filter. They recognized the name and tried to get my business by offering a reduced cost for reduced services.

Interesting thing is that once I got home and started doing the oil change, I discovered they gave me the wrong filter (not intentional but incompetent), so I had to go back out there. Their service is good, but apparently sometimes their parts people get mixed up.

Anyway, I'm fairly confident in my own mechanical skills, just short on time usually, and want to spend it riding instead of working on the bike.

latony007

Thanks everyone. I did call another dealer who just quoted me $247 for the service, but he's two days late. I already decided to do it myself. Changed the oil and filter, lubed and adjusted the chain, inspected the brakes so far. I'm going to inspect/lube the other items on the list, and just omit the spark plugs this time, since there's only 4000 miles. I'll replace them at the 8000 mile mark.

On top of that, I went out to the original dealer ($482 quote) to get the Yamaha oil filter. They recognized the name and tried to get my business by offering a reduced cost for reduced services.

Interesting thing is that once I got home and started doing the oil change, I discovered they gave me the wrong filter (not intentional but incompetent), so I had to go back out there. Their service is good, but apparently sometimes their parts people get mixed up.

Anyway, I'm fairly confident in my own mechanical skills, just short on time usually, and want to spend it riding instead of working on the bike.
what did they charge you for the filter? Its K&N with the nut welded on the end only for me from now on. Man it made it so much easier and was like $11 on Amazon. What oil did you wind up with?

They charged me about $18 for the filter, which kinda shocked me since it used to be much cheaper. I like the filtration and structure of the Yamaha filter best, and I only buy about one per year, so I'll probably stick with it. My new 65mm oil filter wrench works great too (the 65/67mm one was garbage).

I decided to try Amsoil 10w40 synthetic since I like synthetic oil better and have a local dealer. I'm sure there are plenty of other good oils out there though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

latony007

They charged me about $18 for the filter, which kinda shocked me since it used to be much cheaper. I like the filtration and structure of the Yamaha filter best, and I only buy about one per year, so I'll probably stick with it. My new 65mm oil filter wrench works great too (the 65/67mm one was garbage).

I decided to try Amsoil 10w40 synthetic since I like synthetic oil better and have a local dealer. I'm sure there are plenty of other good oils out there though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ouch on the filter, I don't know about the filtration structure though lol. if you got a good filter wrench then I guess no worries but so limited room I really like the nut and socket wrench of K&N and 40% less, I barely had to move the fairing. I hear amsoil Is really good a lot of guys use that. I agree on the full synthetic I use the Castrol 4t syn. seemed to make shifting smoother than the yamalube semi. I put their Vtwin syn in my cruiser as well.

Oconer

Got my bike just about 2 days ago new 2014, wow I'm seeing a lot of different prices for the 600 mile service.. I'm getting quoted here in Houston $250

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

latony007

Got my bike just about 2 days ago new 2014, wow I'm seeing a lot of different prices for the 600 mile service.. I'm getting quoted here in Houston $250
its ridiculous. I did the first service there cause i just wanted them to make sure nothing was lose or going to fall off, mostly from their own assembly job. I am skipping the 4 and doing my own oil. may go back to them for next not sure yet.

SixRFixR

Don't the Yamaha filters have cardboard end caps like those junk Fram filters? I use the Mobil M-108 filter. My 65/67mm wrench has always worked well, even on the first one! When you do get around to the spark plug change, like Greg said, put in iridiums and forget about 'em.

I have no faith in dealers and try to do my own maintenance. I'm cheap. Just ask my wife. She keeps a steady supply of WD-40 around the house just for my wallet hinges. It's not just about the money, though. I feel safer knowing "I" torqued those bolts and "I" double checked everything. An underpaid dude with a jerk boss just doesn't care as much as I do.

I took delivery of a new Honda 750 years ago. I got it home and the kickstand almost fell off. One tire was underinflated and the other was over 40 psi. I've heard it too often that someone paid for a valve check and they later find the valve cover bolts weren't even touched. Maximize profits in the short term. Screw everything else. Too much greed at the dealers.