2nd gear does not engage all the time (from neutral)

fz6r marc

First off, just want to add that I have been riding cycles for about 20yrs, just not my FZ6r.
I have had problems with my 2nd gear, mostly with shifting from neutral strait to 2nd. I hear and feel a slight grind and then have to forcefully pop it in. Anyone else have this problem? just wanna hear your thoughts.
thanks

ChUcK

A couple times, but not regularly. I think it is operator error more than tranny error. I have had other bikes behave like that as well.

DragonBlu

Just curious why you are going from neutral to second? Also how many miles on your bike? Mine was a little sticky at first but smooth as silk shifting now with a few thousand miles on it.

Y

yellowfz

A couple times, but not regularly. I think it is operator error more than tranny error. I have had other bikes behave like that as well.
Funny my wife asked the same question , we use to split the case and take the gears down and have the gears Teflon coated for smoother shifts when racing , kind of extreme but it worked , not saying to do that , just it has been a common thing for years .

Detrich

i have the same problem, but going from 1st into 2nd at high RPMs. i had the dealer re-inspect it. but they claim they couldn't reproduce the issue. low rpm's it engages smoothly. it's not that big of a deal to me- just annoying.

on my R6 it glides from 1st into 2nd smooth as butter... so i know the dealer is full of shit. :sigh:

maybe they were just too lazy to fix it. i dunno. but, it's just more of a nuissance than anything i suppose.

First off, just want to add that I have been riding cycles for about 20yrs, just not my FZ6r.
I have had problems with my 2nd gear, mostly with shifting from neutral strait to 2nd. I hear and feel a slight grind and then have to forcefully pop it in. Anyone else have this problem? just wanna hear your thoughts.
thanks

Last edited:
Y

yellowfz

i have the same problem, but going from 1st into 2nd at high RPMs. i had the dealer re-inspect it. but they claim they couldn't reproduce the issue. low rpm's it engages smoothly. it's not that big of a deal to me- just annoying.

on my R6 it glides from 1st into 2nd smooth as butter... so i know the dealer is full of shit. :sigh:

maybe they were just too lazy to fix it. i dunno. but, it's just more of a nuissance than anything i suppose.
Yeah will have to admit it is a little hard on the FZ6Rs , but my wifes VStar does the same thing , my FZ6R is bad at low speed 1-2 shifts , I normally don't use the clutch that much for shifting (beginners please do not attempt , I have been riding for 43 years) so it is less noticeable , it seems it gets better with time .
It is the gearbox and gear design , some do some don't .

ichimarugin

Same here, I was thinking going to the dealer to see if they can do something about it.

fz6r marc

Just curious why you are going from neutral to second? Also how many miles on your bike? Mine was a little sticky at first but smooth as silk shifting now with a few thousand miles on it.
When u are coming to a stop, put it in neutral, and then traffic starts up again
And ur speed is 15 mph. That's when u might go from neutral to 2nd.

Deanohh

When u are coming to a stop, put it in neutral, and then traffic starts up again
And ur speed is 15 mph. That's when u might go from neutral to 2nd.
If I'm coming to a stop where I think I'm going to shift into neutral from 2nd, I'm going pretty slow as if I was going to 1st before I come out of 2nd to neutral, so even if I stayed in 2nd without going to neutral and traffic started, I'd have to go to 1st to get going again anyway. So it would make no sense to me to go from neutral to 2nd.

porky45

you can ride away in 2nd. It's without sluggish, but it can be done. Try shifting with diagonal pressure (sounds weird but here me out). Instead of pushing it straight up. Put your foot towards the outside of the lever and try to shift up and to the right at the same time / <--- like that . it sounds silly but i swear it fixed my rough shifts and misshifts. Also make sure to preload.

Fogride

When the bike is cold started I always go to second and then first. Much smoother with no klunk or grinding.This being said, this bike likes to have the clutch adjusted cold. It's the only way I get smooth shifting when it's hot or cold.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member