2013 Honda CBR600RR

I had a chance to test the new 2013 CBR600RR for about hour.

-Foot pegs are really high. It took a few turns to get used to this.
-Low speed handling is seems more difficult due to forward lean angle and high pegs.
-Engine is super smooth. Not FZ6R smooth and quiet but kinda feels like you can feel and hear all the valve train in the engine.
-Tank feels really comfortable in the tuck position. Feels like a glove or like it was made for me.
-Weird had a hard time putting down the side stand.
-Exhaust is sweet. I loved keeping the engine in the upper range of 7k. I didn't feel any problems with under tail exhaust or needing ear plugs I had full helmet.
-Throttle is very responsive and bit too much at the low rpm range. I found it more difficult than FZ6R to drive slowly. Couple of slow tight speed turns I had a difficult time to power out of because of throttle almost felt twitchy because 1mm of movement in throttle and thing would like to accelerate or engine brake just couldn't find sweet spot I guess. Maybe it was the specific RPM I was in but didn't have a lot of time to test this out. Higher speed turns were no problem. From stop to a left turn was better than FZ6R because I didn't have to switch to 2nd like in the FZ6R.
-Engine braking is very strong. Almost didn't have to use any brakes. Tried to get the rear ABS to activate but with the strong engine braking couldn't get it to pulse. Bike had about 900km on tires I think. Thinking about it I could have held the clutch but I don't brake holding in the clutch so didn't come to me then.
-Front brakes are super strong. Felt like 3 times stronger than FZ6R almost unreal how strong they are in comparison. Very surprised.
-Acceleration felt strong as well. I thought the effortless feeling was a combination of the forward lean angle and maybe higher rev's of the motor. Definitely above 10 or 11K you can feel the difference and the surge of power to the red line. Around town below 6K it is hard to tell if it is really that much faster than the FZ6R. In 2nd gear it was very easy and quick to get to 135 near red line. I checked my FZ6R after and I need to be in 3rd to get in the same speed but it didn't feel that it took that much longer maybe if bikes were side by side it would be different but doesn't feel that much quicker riding my bike the day after. So for motor I think it's only feels around 10% to maybe 15% stronger than FZ6R but when you get up there past 10K it is pure sweet for the two seconds your there and then you need to switch or back off. I didn't do any first gear red line as I never felt the need. 2nd gear red line is sweet and then to 3rd was also sweet but by then it's license suspended where I live. If I was doing mainly illegal speeds I would definitely see the advantage but for normal or spirited riding on the street I don't see enough benefit. Maybe the sound and cool looks though.

I'll end it here. I'm a little sad because I really wanted to upgrade to Honda this year and I can't see the extra coin being worth it for me. I'm not saying people shouldn't upgrade as the CBR600RR is an awesome bike and yes it is better than the FZ6R so if I didn't have the FZ6R and more money it might be different story. I also think the Honda seems to be built better and higher quality. For me right now I can't justify it yet. I'm glad I had the test ride.

I've made arrangements to test the new 2013 Kawasaki 636 next week. I'm hoping this test will make me want to upgrade. If not I will try to find a test ride with the legendary 750.

Alex6

I had a chance to test the new 2013 CBR600RR for about hour.
I'll end it here. I'm a little sad because I really wanted to upgrade to Honda this year and I can't see the extra coin being worth it for me. I'm not saying people shouldn't upgrade as the CBR600RR is an awesome bike and yes it is better than the FZ6R so if I didn't have the FZ6R and more money it might be different story. I also think the Honda seems to be built better and higher quality. For me right now I can't justify it yet. I'm glad I had the test ride.

I've made arrangements to test the new 2013 Kawasaki 636 next week. I'm hoping this test will make me want to upgrade. If not I will try to find a test ride with the legendary 750.
I think the it would be fairer(sp?) if you compared R6 vs. CBD600RR. FZ6R is an entry level sport(ish) bike targeting the beginners and women. Yamaha cut quite a few corners to keep the cost down.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Yes CBR500R is a nice bike it was too bad Honda didn't release it in 2009 when I bought the FZ6R. But since I already have the FZ6R it wouldn't make sense to me to test the CBR500R. Curious if insurance would be cheaper though. Also I was really surprised how the white CB1100 looked in person as it reminded me of my old 440 LT but in a modern version. Wish I had a ride on that bike but someone crashed it in the morning and the one in the showroom was sold.

Obviously the R6 is more of a comparison for the CBR600RR. I've never tested the R6 but in the super sport class for me it's either the kawi or honda. For more coin I would love the 675R or duc. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to compare super sport bikes to the FZ6R but rather looking at it in my specific situation where my current bike is the FZ6R. Yes the FZ6R has some cost savings but that's a good thing as we don't want all 600's to be super sport race replicas. If 600's were all race bikes some of us like me could only afford used 600's.

Best upgrade for me from the FZ6R would have been the ninja 1000. Last year I was shocked as the insurance companies around here wanted crazy money for that bike. Too bad as there should have been lots of those bikes around and even honda must have liked it because they have similar CB1000R. Hopefully dropping the CBR name might trick the insurance companies. I prefer the ninja 1000 styling though so who knows.

Reason why I posted was I thought some might be considering the CBR600RR as an upgrade from FZ6R and wanted share some thoughts. Of course I'm also interested in other opinions as I'm sure someone would see things differently than me and thats cool. Thanks.

Alex6

The insurance cost for Ninja 1000 in the US ridiculous high as well. I think it it the bad word "Ninja" because the Z1000 is less than half for the same coverages.
And thank you for your review. I am thinking about the upgrade in the same terms as you. Like the Ninja 1000 but put off by the insurance cost. Kawi 636 and Suzuki 600 are under consideration as well...