2009 Yamaha FZ6R for sale

JSP

Super Moderator
Well, I started on a honda elite 80cc scooter, Although I rode dirtbikes a little the scoot was my first road bike. BTW riding dirt does in fact give you a hell of a lot of experiance on two wheels, but You should still start small. After the scoot, I got a ninja 250, which in my opinion is the best starter bike ever made! I rode that for 1 1/2 years then I got the bright Idea that I wanted a big bike. I was looking at 600/750 katanas and then I saw an ad in the local paper, 2003 Yamaha R1 $4000 must sell. I called him and jewed him down to $3500 cause he was desperate. I was only 18 when I bought it, and looking back on it, I CANNOT BELIEVE MY PARENTS LET ME BUY IT! I acted like a total jackass on that thing. I actually considered myself to be uber-responsible but that bike brought the worst out of me. I never dropped any of those bikes at speed or stopped (came close though). If I could go back though, I would have just bought a katana 600 and moved up slowly.

Sorry for the long post, the point is that you will actually be happier in the long run by moving up slowly. You greatly increase your chance of survival and it will enhance the overall experiance.

After having the speed of the R1, everything else is just a dissapointment.
I rode my buddies R1 for a little bit and yeah, that thing is jet engine, rocket ship fast! My R6 is close, but the R1 is just plain out scary.

Rat

Friend of mine decided to move with R6 or even R1.
He is investigating how it's possible to decrease power by using some additional control units etc - to be safe first time and to avoid such scary things like accidental acceleration etc.
He doesn't want to buy beginner bike because he think he will lose money and time in months or two when he will want more power.
He has solid experience with cars and even some racing experience there.
He is 27 and he understand that riding has nothing to do driving and this would be a big challenge for him but he decided to take it.
And he rode R1 once... :))) Like several feets on parking lot... LOL

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
He will make most if not all of every penny back on a starter bike. A 250 Ninja will hold its value. He doesnt have to buy it new. Find a decent used one to learn on. He will get most all of it back.

R1??? :confused::eek:

Well, let us know how this all turns out.

MikeN02

Friend of mine decided to move with R6 or even R1.
He is investigating how it's possible to decrease power by using some additional control units etc - to be safe first time and to avoid such scary things like accidental acceleration etc.
He doesn't want to buy beginner bike because he think he will lose money and time in months or two when he will want more power.
He has solid experience with cars and even some racing experience there.
He is 27 and he understand that riding has nothing to do driving and this would be a big challenge for him but he decided to take it.
And he rode R1 once... :))) Like several feets on parking lot... LOL
Not to be bashing like everyone but I just want to get my opinion out and give him a few more options.
For the R1, my friend just bought one and he says they put a limiter on it to only go about 187 mph, but if you take it off i'm sure it'll go over 200 mph.

Lose money in the long end if you buy a slower bike? Consider the money lost if you bought a bigger bike. Accident's aren't cheap, hospital bills, days off from the job, trashed bike, buying a new bike, etc etc

But I also heard that 28 is where people start to really mature and give up riding fast, and loud noises so it depends on how he is.

If you really think he can handle it and not injure himself then it's all yours. I know I'd fell terrible if I was in this situation, a friend teaching another friend on a powerful bike all he can yet he injures himself.