+2 rear sprocket?

csinsc

Hi All,

I am thinking about changing out just my rear sprocket for a 48T (+2).

looked at the results on gearingcommander and it will raise my RPM's about 400 at 60mph.

Has anyone done this?

Will I get a little more oomph on take offs?

Thanks and any links to sprockets would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Chris

csinsc

Has anyone here done this?

I think I will sacrifice 6mph...I want to try it, but wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with this.

Last edited:

csinsc

Thanks!!!

wasn't planning on the front.. the back sprocket is very plain looking and figured I would change it and get a little more pop.

Thanks again,
Chris

JonKerr

Elite Member

vitrox

usually its the sprockets that will go first on a bike. The chain will almost always outlast them with proper maintenance.

You may need a longer chain since the rear sprocket will be larger, without getting a chain you'd have to move the wheel all the way in. Also make sure you get the right size, i'm not sure what the stock is on the fz, but my r1 came with a 530 chain, and I swapped everything out to a 520. So if you do just a sprocket, make sure its the right width.

oh, and i swapped everything on my r1, both sprockets and a new chain.

JonKerr

Elite Member

travstoll

has anyone done a -1 in the rear or +1 in the front? Wouldn't this give a higher top end and theoretically better mpg?... and I wonder how much low end torque would be sacrificed.

vitrox

i don't think it'd be worth it, the bike is already low on hp, and that would just hinder it even more. I don't want to go slower. The rush getting to top speed is more of a thrill than the top speed itself.

Craxican

I have a -1/+2 setup on my bike..top end is lower...but get up and go is awesome...I also have a power commander, so my top end is actually just shy of stock...118mph on the red..(closer to 140mph with pcV and no sprocket swap) but I can go 0 - 118 pretty darn fast...just depends on what you are planning on doing with your bike (i love it)

travstoll

I have a -1/+2 setup on my bike..top end is lower...but get up and go is awesome...I also have a power commander, so my top end is actually just shy of stock...118mph on the red..(closer to 140mph with pcV and no sprocket swap) but I can go 0 - 118 pretty darn fast...just depends on what you are planning on doing with your bike (i love it)
So I guess if I am looking to just do commuting, and some occasional touring, stock would be best to still retain a fair amount of power and not sacrifice mpgs....

pilninggas

has anyone done a -1 in the rear or +1 in the front? Wouldn't this give a higher top end and theoretically better mpg?... and I wonder how much low end torque would be sacrificed.
thats what im think of doing 17/45, mainly as the bike is a teensy-bit revvy at 90mph on the motorway; it should make it feel a tad more long legged.

travstoll

thats what im think of doing 17/45, mainly as the bike is a teensy-bit revvy at 90mph on the motorway; it should make it feel a tad more long legged.
That has kind of been my thoughts as well. I just rolled over 1000miles on the bike today, so I guess I will wait it out and see how used to it I get over the next 10,000 miles before its time to replace the chain.

AfDevin86

I have a -1 +2 set up on mine. I love it. Around town I would say the Mpg is better. As for on the road. I don't speed (that bad) so 85 is my max. It still gets 38-42 (that's a civic hybrid).

porky45

I have the -1/+2 setup as well. You don't need a longer chain if you go -1 in the front, however you may need to add a few extra links if you just go +2 in the back.

Another thing to note: my chain rubs noticeably loud on the chain runner now with this set up.

As craxican said..you're looking at 118mph with this gearing change and that's a bit past 12k on the tach. (118mph is actual speed with speedohealer).

Sure is fun flying through the gears.

Bigevildoer

CZDBEL's got a +1 on the front. Says it makes the Speedometer 100% accurate according to car pacing and GPS. I also recall him saying it gets better MPG - you'll have to ask him for exact numbers...

Big E.

vitrox

i don't know bout you guys, but i didn't buy a motorcycle to get good mpg. Its just a side effect of having fun.

porky45

My feeling exactly! Although a lot of people do buy motorcycles for commuting to save on gas money, so for those of you, more power to you. I for one, bought it for fun. The fact that it gets better gas mileage then my Buick is a plus. Just can't lug the hockey equipment to the rink on the bike haha.