1st time on freeway and great ride!

JoshF

Hi all,

I have had my bike for 2 weeks and so far my rides have consisted of riding from North Beach to the Presidio and back home. Today I decided to try taking Geary Blvd all the way to the coast. I got on the Great Highway and headed south on 35. The ocean smelled great and I was having a blast. Next thing I know I am entering Highway 280 South. This was not planned but I had no other options at this point. I figured I could get on for 1 exit and turn around. I was wearing full leather gear so I was comfortable with my protection. When I was on the freeway I just concentrated on relaxing and being alert of the road and any cars around me. It was an interesting 1st day to ride on the freeway because we are having some serious wind today. Really serious wind that you really feel at speed. Once I was on the freeway I decided to go with it for a while. I never rode more than 20 miles at a time yet and I was already on the freeway so it was good practice. As I rode along I saw a sign for 92/Half Moon Bay. I know this road well from my road biking days so I decided to take it. I was leary about X-Mas tree shoppers but I would be cautious. I rode to Half Moon Bay and thought that riding Hw1 1 back home would be a great road. The view was amazing on a motorcycle but the wind was really killer again. I was out for a while at this point so I decided to take 280 back to SF instead of getting back on 35. What a great ride! I did 70 miles today for a total of 152 on my FZ6R so far. :D

Congrats, sounds like a great ride, hope I can make it to cali on a bike someday soon.

Dude, riding on the freeway is the best! I actually enjoy that more than back roads! LOVE IT! Mainly cause the back roads here are terrible! They have more traffic than the freeway!

fz6rwolf

I prefer 2 lane but once in awhile will just do a highway ride for few hours and don't mind it. Pulled my back at work few weeks ago (only missed one day) so have been babying my back and haven't gone on the bike. Not much riding left this year:(

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I like to mix it up, highway and two-lane back roads. I usually commute on the interstate to work to avoid all the school zones and inattentive drivers. But on the weekends, the back roads are my playground! :rockon:

gearhead

Sounds like fun. I just got back from driving 926 miles in a car. Wish it was on the bike!

JonKerr

Elite Member

Roaddawg

Nice ride, but that wind yesterday was crazy...I can't believe you went riding in that! Maybe it was worst up here in the north bay. Like Jonkerr, I think the freeway is safer than city streets. You just have to worry about lane changers and people flying up behind you. Looks like we have another week of clear weather for riding.

Roaddawg

Sounds like a nice scenic ride. I like riding up and down our coast on highway 1. But here highway 1 is largely a 2 lane street going along the beach and through the small beach towns. Not freeway.
I've driven Hwy 1 all along the west coast of the US, from Canada into Mexico. Most of Hwy 1 is two-lane road, not freeway, that's what Hwy 101 is for. Hwy 1 up here is mostly a curvy ocean cliff roadway...great for a scenic cruise.

JoshF

I've driven Hwy 1 all along the west coast of the US, from Canada into Mexico. Most of Hwy 1 is two-lane road, not freeway, that's what Hwy 101 is for. Hwy 1 up here is mostly a curvy ocean cliff roadway...great for a scenic cruise.
Hwy 1 was a nice 2 lane road that curved along a canyon. The freeway experience was 280. The wind was very scary but I figured I need to know how the bike feels in all conditions.

JonKerr

Elite Member

amirw

Hwy 1 was a nice 2 lane road that curved along a canyon. The freeway experience was 280. The wind was very scary but I figured I need to know how the bike feels in all conditions.
Good job !!
Now go for 101, but be aware of hazards especialy near sfo
And of course hwy-35 to hwy-9 and Santa Cruze
I did it with a Harley two weeks ago and it is a great ride