1st service not done yet (<600mi, +2months in)

cyberal

Hi guys,

I'm a new rider and I bought my bike around Dec. 15th, 2011. I use it mostly to commute to work, but my commute distance is pretty short. A month passed by and I took the bike to service but since I had only accumulated about 150miles on it, they refused (understandably?) to service it. They told me to come back when I have around 600 miles.

It's now March and since my riding pattern is still the same, I only have about 350 miles. Since the user manual says that the bike should be brought for service after the 1st month or 600 miles, I'm getting concerned that it won't be about 6 months until I get there.

My train of thought is that if Yamaha says 1 month or X miles, it means that whichever happens first, no matter what; but the technician's arguments made good sense too, and since this bike shop is an authorized dealer/service center, I assume they know their stuff too.

What should I do? Should I even be concerned about this?

PS. I know the obvious answer is to ride it more, but most weekends I can't take my bike for long rides because I'm busy with other stuff.

PPS: I can't do the service myself because a) I don't have the experience, b) I live in an apartment complex that forbids you from even washing your car inside the premises.

Rookasaki

Don't stress. They told you to come back because it would be pointless to do a service so soon. The engine and parts need time to break in, and the oil will pick up all the metal shavings etc... Just keep your RPM's down and ride. There are people who say, ride it like your stole it and there's people who baby the bike during the break in. The bike it be fine. Congrats on the Bike!

Last edited:

Superzoom

Bike break in and maintenance isn't really an exact science, nor is it a mystical art. I wouldn't sweat it while waiting to hit 600 miles. Just be patient. The bike will not "spoil". Important parts won't corrode or break. Sounds like you'll hit 600 miles in a few more months, which will be just fine for your first service.

By the way, the only critical thing that will occur during that service will be getting your oil and filter changed. The rest is just some basic checks. Your break in oil sitting in your bike for six months or more won't hurt the bike. These modern bikes are really tolerant of a wide range of break in techniques, and unless you do something really far out (never change the oil, redline it all the time, etc.), it will break in fine.

See red

OH noes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 they are gonna void the bike!!!!!!!!! not the warranty, the bike. (work with me here I am slow today) Yep it will turn into a aw crap I got nutin.

It's fine.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member