1st maintenance 600miles yourself or dealership

yfz6r

If you run over a pedestrian you have bigger problems than claiming warranty on your broken throttle cable.
The warranty will claim faulty parts. If you have any sense, you won't do anything to cause something to break.

I do oil changes with super tec oil and filter from wal mart. Change every 2k miles or every other month in both cars, my bike, and scooter. (scooter doesn't need filter lol).

Can't believe some people let other people feel up on your vehicles!

rjohnson5481

The best part of all this is the trust in dealership mechanics, on a time pinch. Don't get me wrong some are trust worthy, but the only way to know that it's all been looked over is to do it yourself. Who says they don't drain the oil and change the filter then send you on your way..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miketriebsch

I get free tires for life so long I do all the services with them. So for now Im doing just that.

You know now that I think about it, my dealership told me that my warrenty wouldnt go into affect until after I got my first service. So if I didnt do the first service there I would have no warrenty. Again thats just what they said to me and may not be true.

Last edited:

rjohnson5481

untrue man, sorry to say but if you're like me and moved before the first service was in effect the dealer had no idea of knowing whether it was done. I moved and rolled 600 shortly after getting here.

walter kanov

its all about your dealer

This discussion reminds me that there are some bad dealers out there. The place where i got my bike was straightforward, when i asked about break-in, maintenance and warranty they just said "follow the manual". So I did and took it in for service at 595miles. My bill was $51.85. Yes, it is twice the cost of the oil & filter, but nowhere near $100+ prices others are posting.

Last edited:

FitZ6R

I get free tires for life so long I do all the services with them. So for now Im doing just that.

You know now that I think about it, my dealership told me that my warrenty wouldnt go into affect until after I got my first service. So if I didnt do the first service there I would have no warrenty. Again thats just what they said to me and may not be true.
The free tires thing is usually a scam. By the time you're eligible for "free" replacement, you'll have more than paid for the tires in inflated service costs.

And they're flat-out lying about the warranty. I'd look for a better dealer.

KeysRider3

Do it yourself

unless you have absolutely no mechanical aptitude. Check your owner's manual to see what needs to be done. Most of what is noted the mechanic will not bother to do because that would take time, and thus diminish the dollars per hour per mechanic the service department needs to generate. What you'll get is a very expensive oil/filter change, chain adjustment (if necessary) and lube, and fluids level check. Besides, you'll learn a lot about how your bike is put together by doing it yourself, and with the money you save you can buy some riding gear and/or aftermarket parts to customize your bike. Good mechanics are hard to find in a dealership because most leave for their own shop. The mechanic I use for things I can't do myself used to work for a dealer but wouldn't go along with the dealership's shop policies (quantity v. quality). I'm not saying that you can't find a good, conscientious mechanic in a dealership, but changing the oil/filter, checking/topping off fluids, and putting air in tires is something you'll enjoy doing for yourself.

ScottM

I agree with the previous post. My FZ6R rolled new out of the dealer a year ago and has never been back. I did not like the way they were giving me the hard sale on their maintenance program. They said that it was priced so low that they were losing money. Yea right!

txjames

Elite Member

miketriebsch

You guys are making me thinking twice about going to them for service lol