180 Tire

Stricken

My Bridgestone BT021 that came with the bike is almost due for a replacement (Im at 8200mi) and saw Cyclegear has a huge sale on tires. Problem is that the sale is only on a set of 120/70-17 and 180/55-17's. I am wondering if our bike with the stock rear wheel can accommodate a 180 tire. Has anyone done this? I have tried searching for it on this forum and can only find 2 threads about it. One thread was an XJ6 with an R6 rim and the other one had no details. Any help would be appreciated :)

6R Blackout

Just my opinion I would't go that big. The biggest I would go is 170, I know the tires aren't cheap and you have to try to jump on a sale when you can. I don't think our bike can really accomadate a tire that size. I think its possible but really not practical. Well good luck on finding your answer. :don'tknow:

Detrich

Stock size for rear tire is 160/60ZR17M/C (69W). Not sure but search for the thread on the aftermarket handlebars. There was mention of tire sizes on that thread. I'll try to find it

Speedv1

I recall reading in one of the other threads that the one user found that 180 WOULD fit, but it actually went to waste and that user said that 170 seemed right.

That being said you're not gonna have much of a gap between the swingarm and the tire with a 180.

Personally I intend to go 170 at some point, but NEVER any larger.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Briguy453

Actually a 170 was even a waste IMO. Any tire wider than a 160 will get pinched in our narrow 5" wheel and the side walls get so steep, you can't use all the tire. Not to mention the fact that now the profile of the tire has been altered severely from what it was designed to be and will not handle the way it was intended. My 160 BT016 I had on last (before I put the 023's on) ended up actually being wider than the 170 in the same tire because the 170 was pinched so much. I don't want to even think about how badly deformed a 180 would be.
I dunno Jon, i'm using 170's now and I love them. No problems

Stricken

I have since replaced the stock BT21 with Michelin Pilot Road 2's. So far so good.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Briguy453

170 in what tire? When I had the 170 on in the 016's I thought it felt fine, just noticed how narrow and odd it looked and how I couldn't get anywhere near the edge of the rear tire yet I was using 100% of the front. Then when I put the 160 on in the same tire, it felt so much better. I realized that it felt like the front and rear were fighting each other before. (Don't know if that really makes since to anyone, it's kind of hard to explain.) But with the 160 it just felt right.
Yeah. Im using the michelin pilot powers. Might make more of a difference. Either way they're light years ahead of stock

lowjulz01

My 160/60 Metzeler m5 is due to change... compared to the stock dunlop, the Metzeler was narrower and taller.. oval shaped.. my feeling about the 160 M5 was confidence in carving and very precise leaning, but mileage was horrible... 2500 miles only...just ordered a 170/60 M5..I'll come back with feedback as soon it is installed