150 miles for lunch? Sure, why not?

creggur

Wife and I had the day to kill. Weather perfect, bikes in the garage, what to do? Well, go for a ride of course! We set out with no real destination planned, and no real idea of how far we'd ride. Well, we ended 150 miles from home for lunch at a Cracker Barrel - original I know - but the choices in Valdosta, Georgia were somewhat limited...

Self portrait - On the VFR800 and on the road= Happy Creggur

Yeah, after a couple of hours you need to stretch the legs a bit - even if you're 5'1"

Ended up at a Cracker Barrel in Valdosta, Ga. - the rocking chairs were a nice respite from the motorcycle seats.

After some tasty fried yard-bird and people-watching (the people giving us funny looks for our stylish leather couture) it was time to gear up and head home.

In Florida this is what we call a curve. Sad, I know, but really the only place to drag a knee is freeway cloverleafs.

No more death grip on the bars - she's learning to relax on the bike - a very good thing.

She's even learned the all-important "One-Handed Lay On the Tankbag Technique"

We've got lots of long, straight roads here.

I mean lots and lots of long, straight roads.

I mean lots and lots and lots...You get the idea...

311.6 miles added to the odometers today and she's still smiling! Motorcycles just plain rule!

Tracie has been riding since December 27th of last year. I got her a foo-foo watch for Christmas and imagine my delight when she told me to: "Send it back - I want a motorcycle!"

She started on a Ninja 250 and graduated to the FZ6R for her birthday on July, 31st. Today was her longest single-day ride to date. Can't say enough good things about the FZ6R - she just loves it. All in all it was a great day with great weather and a great ride! Even if the roads are too damn straight;)

Superzoom

I'm jealous of the power-to-weight ratio that Tracie must achieve!

Very happy to see newer riders grow. Congrats.

creggur

Yeah, fully geared she only adds about 110 pounds to the bike. I can't fully appreciate the FZ6R's acceleration like she can - the extra 70 pounds surely makes a big difference!

gearhead

Cool pics. I love posts like this, almost like going along for the ride.

IMO: It should be illegal to have speed limits on roads that straight. If you ever wind up in CA, do yourself a favor a do NOT ride the I-5 between Bakersfield and Sacramento. It is boring and yawn-inducing at any speed. I find myself saying, "Are we f'n there yet?"

porky45

Cool pics. I love posts like this, almost like going along for the ride.

IMO: It should be illegal to have speed limits on roads that straight. If you ever wind up in CA, do yourself a favor a do NOT ride the I-5 between Bakersfield and Sacramento. It is boring and yawn-inducing at any speed. I find myself saying, "Are we f'n there yet?"
try san diego to sacremento.... even though i'm not on the bike it's still boring as hell.. i feel your pain!!!

J.J.

Great pictorial.... and yes would gladly go that far for lunch and back.
Hey do they have long straight roads your way?? LOL....:D
We did a quick 100 mile ride today, I christened my FZ6R on Rt 17 Appalachian Gap with 15% grades & lots of switchbacks. I loved my bike!! Sweet in the curves.
Glad you had a great ride & again great pics!

MikeN02

Yeah, Florida is mostly straight roads like that...

I've going to St. Pete, Daytona and Jacksonville when my bike gets fixed. St. Pete and Daytona are regular trips to me but I'll stop by Jacksonville from time to time, maybe I'll stop by to see the bikes.

Btw she looks like she can/will kick my :spank:

CtrlAltDl

try san diego to sacremento.... even though i'm not on the bike it's still boring as hell.. i feel your pain!!!
I agree, but I think 99% of I-5 is boring...
...Thank God for 101!:thumbup:

creggur

As it turns out this jaunt was a great confidence builder for her. I've been telling her for months that she rides much better than she gives herself credit for - she really picked up on things quickly. We were talking last night and she said that after the ride was the first time she felt like a 'real rider' - which is good - she's gaining confidence, but not getting too cocky.

Finally realizing that she is in control of the bike, not the other way around...

Thanks to all for the compliments - hope to have a really good ride report after the first week of October. We're riding the bikes to Helen, Ga. to enjoy a little Oktoberfest and explore the mountains in N.Ga, Tenn., and S.C...

DanielW0830

Do you have any mics?

I thought about long rides, but without music or being able to talk to the other person your riding with and experiencing the trip though each other comments would be strange.

Nice pics and looks like you guys had fun. I've done 100 miles from 8am - 11am one morning. wasn't too bad. On a Ninja 250. :)

creggur

Do you have any mics?

I thought about long rides, but without music or being able to talk to the other person your riding with and experiencing the trip though each other comments would be strange.

Nice pics and looks like you guys had fun. I've done 100 miles from 8am - 11am one morning. wasn't too bad. On a Ninja 250. :)
Yeah, we use the Sena SMH10 communicators and they work great. If you look at the first pic in my series you can see the unit on the side of my helmet. It has really improved the riding experience being able to chat. It's also helped me to help her learn things in 'real time' out on the road.

Can't say enough good about the SMH10s - they are easy to use, good sound quality, bluetooth(or cable) music from the iPod, and it overrides the music when you start talking...And they are waaaay cheaper than most of their competitors...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

creggur

Great pics! I agree with you about Florida... all straight curves... lol Hey maybe we should all meet up sometime next month for a ride. Seams to me that Daytona is kind of in the middle... My girl is thinking about getting a ride herself later on. But we do enjoy riding together.
I'm always up for it - Sunday works best because that's usually Tracie's weekend day off - Maybe lunch at Houligan's by Rossmeyer's (great wings) and a little tour around the area.

PhatPhizzixxer

As it turns out this jaunt was a great confidence builder for her. I've been telling her for months that she rides much better than she gives herself credit for.
That's what my hubby keeps telling me, too. I'm just trying to practice, practice, practice. BTW, what are the pants she's wearing? They're hella cool. Roll Tide!

Insure Gal

Excellent post creggur.... often times on a bike the journey far out weighs the destination! We have a friend who often rides 300 Kl just for pie and coffee.:)

WTG Tracie, you go girl!!!! (Love the riding pants BTW!)

If you are ever on the rock, you'll enjoy our twisties. (They don't know how to make a straght road here! We've got our own (Sort of :rolleyes:) version of the Dragon's tail. A friend has dubbed it the Tail of the Cod! :D

Insure Gal

Is there Fish N Chips at the end! :rof:
:rof: in fact there are lot of little great fi and chi places along the entire route :rof:

creggur

That's what my hubby keeps telling me, too. I'm just trying to practice, practice, practice. BTW, what are the pants she's wearing? They're hella cool. Roll Tide!
They are Teknic Vogue Pants

Teknic Women's Vogue Pants - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore.

I'll tell ya, we had a hell of a time finding good protective pants that fit her petite frame. These are still a bit large on her, but at least have armor in the right places...

And, yeah - it's all about the practice. She'd gotten very confident on the Ninja 250, and the FZ6R's increased power and throttle response threw her a little bit at first, but a little parking lot time really helped a lot. She's handling it like a pro now!!

Roll Tide Roll!!

PhatPhizzixxer

They are Teknic Vogue Pants

Teknic Women's Vogue Pants - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore.

I'll tell ya, we had a hell of a time finding good protective pants that fit her petite frame. These are still a bit large on her, but at least have armor in the right places...

And, yeah - it's all about the practice. She'd gotten very confident on the Ninja 250, and the FZ6R's increased power and throttle response threw her a little bit at first, but a little parking lot time really helped a lot. She's handling it like a pro now!!

Roll Tide Roll!!
Thanks! LOL...maybe they won't fit me as I'm 5'9". I have a heck of a time finding pants for me!

Ha ha ha...talk about "throttle response"...there are times when I accidentally roll on it a bit too much & it will literally throw my head back...and then I have to sit there & just laugh because it must look hilarious. I don't think men realize how different it can be for women to learn this skill. I have had to strength-train my neck, arm, wrist & leg muscles so I don't get so tired at the end of the day. Riding on the freeway at first was difficult because the wind would just push my head around...doing a shoulder check was a comedy because it was hard to bring it back around! LOL...anyway, she looks cool & glad she's enjoying it...we have the same white one.:D

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member