150 Miles and my *** hurts

Rich007

Any advice for a seat from any FZ6R owner. When I first picked up my new bike last week the seat felt pretty good but after a 150 mile trip to the mountains and back my butt hurts.

Only 260 miles so far and only been close to the redline trying to keep up with a friends CBR1000. Very surprised at the power of my FZ6R and so was a friend of mine on the CBR.

BKP

Brock Kickass

The stock seat is less than perfect, but if you ride it lots you will get a bit more used to it. My longest day on the 6R was about 300 miles on the stock seat. It was, well, it was, ummmmm, ok, it made my arse hurt but I was just glad to be riding. I did 1000 miles in 3 days on my FZ1 on the stock seat and it was a numbing experience too, but liveable. Marthy did over 1000 miles in a day (was it 1500 altogether?) on a 6R but I'm not sure if it was the stock saddle or not. Either way, put in some time and see if your butt gets more used to the saddle before you blow a pile of cash, IMHO.

...as for keeping up with a CBR1000, well, ummmm, yeah. It's not exactly what the 6R was designed for. If you flog the piss out if it you won't be too far behind, but I would recommend managing your expectations; the 6R is great for a lot of reasons but it is not a superbike. It really is amazingly close to one considering what it costs to buy and run, but it is not a superbike.

Last edited:

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

BoneJj

Mod your original seat, take the staples out of the bottom and peal the cover back, but first note what areas are giving you the problems and then take a knife to them and cut away little bits until you get a better fit to your butt...

I typically don't have issues until I hit about 2 hours on the bike so I haven't done mine just yet. I can't remember where I recently read an article on modding the seat but it was pretty good. The guy used some powder on his butt or something like that and then sat down and noted where the hot spots were and slowly cut away areas until it felt right.

Just take some time and go slow. you can also add layers of different types of foam.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

BoneJj

Imagine 1550 miles in 24 hrs!!! You'll grt there...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
I'm not that crazy... lol.

I would like to do 500 in a day maybe but more than that is just excessive IMO.

One of these days I'm going to get around to modding my seat.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

FastFreddy

Keep riding for a month at least before doing anything.
You've got to build up the hide on your butt, put weight on the pegs and squeeze those thighs in.
The FZ6R is one of the more comfortable bikes.

arse

Lol I loved my fz6r but no way it would keep up with my Cbr 1k

Bert-Aus

Soft!

Toughen up princesses, if moto were comfy we would all be riding Goldwings

Been said before no other way to earn a moto swagger than time in the seat.
Most km's I have ever done in a day was around 1200km. Was a bit numbing but still wouldn't have done any other way. I have driven 1600km in a car in one stint and that was mind numbing as well as body numbing. Atleast on moto you can stand up, dance, stretch and move around the seat.

BoneJj

Soft!

Toughen up princesses, if moto were comfy we would all be riding Goldwings

Been said before no other way to earn a moto swagger than time in the seat.
Most km's I have ever done in a day was around 1200km. Was a bit numbing but still wouldn't have done any other way. I have driven 1600km in a car in one stint and that was mind numbing as well as body numbing. Atleast on moto you can stand up, dance, stretch and move around the seat.
ok, so 1200km = 745ish miles, that's a good bit of miles but not that huge of a number, IDK if there is an iron butt one for that but there is probably.

1600km is 994ish miles, I used to do that from home back to the base when I was active duty when I first got in the military a few times a year, I completely agree on the mind and butt and body numbing aspect there. I was physically exhausted as well as mentally at the end of those drives. I don't miss them one bit... It was right around 1000 miles one way from my home town back to the base for the first couple years of my time in the military and I used to drive back on long weekends, what a stupid thing that was to do... I actually had one accident as a result of that. Only accident I've had since driving that was my fault, the other one someone drove straight across the interstate in front of me and I T-boned them.

I used to just drive straight through all with only short stops for food and coffee. Now I like to take my time and take a nap halfway through, sounds sad but I get there safer and more relaxed.

I can see doing 750 straight through though, it doesn't sound as bad, though I might have to pull off and rest for an hour or so, depends on the rest I did or didn't get the night before. I've been known to take a sleeping pill early the day before so I can wake up refreshed and ready to drive for stupid lengths of time.

Bert-Aus

The biggest sucky thing about doing big stretches in Aus is our speed limits are so slow!

Even the interstate highways are at best no faster than 110kmh (roughly 69mph) -well thats if you want to keep on the right side of the law.
Even bigger issue is our interstates (except for near major cities in the Eastern States -Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria) are single lane country roads!

Kangaroos, Emus are out around sunrise, sunset and night time, they generally wiegh in around 60Kg+ for average adult (90kg+ for adult male Red Kangaroo) and they sit on the side, middle of the road eating grass shoots, only to go shit-crazy just as you go past:eek:

During the day farmers shift cattle (cows, sheep etc) between paddocks, so if it isnt a roadblock, they leave whopping great shit piles all over the road.

BUt on the flip side it is Australia, and we have got great pubs, beer, beaches and plenty of twisties to navigate! Oh and the scenery (both natural and female) are great too:D

...sorry that wasn't too much of a Travel Agent pitch was it?

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

bloodypulp

I've done 300 in a day. The thing that helped me a bit was shifting my butt farther back or farther forward. If I shifted it back enough I could actually sit on my thighs. Just make sure at the end of the ride all parts that can tough the seat hurt equally, better than one part taking all the brunt :thumbup:
Huh........

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Rich007

#1 I know the CBR would blow me away but the FZR did put up a good fight to keep up. They are two completely different bikes but the FZR will surprise you if you open her up in the high revs.

#2 You guys are right, I probably need more time in the seat and get accustomed to it.

I did forget that my sister owns a upholstery shop and I could probably have one of her guys put some foam together for me in the future.
With the rain coming in for the next week the FZR will be parked till the orange orb in the sky's of Seattle reappear. I should have a little time to find a more fitting windscreen. What in the hell were the designers of this bike thinking with that crappy windscreen? I am only 5'7" and there is not enough protection even for me.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Rich007

I add high density foam and a gel pad on mine. Also reducing the downward slope help a lot.
Off the subject Marthy, can I just by a silencer from you and weld it on myself and if so how much and would I have to add a programmer? I think the FZ6R is too quiet at idle at a light and hard to hear in traffic when I take off.