12 Volt outlet help

ArkAngel06

Going off of this thread:

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/best-place-12-volt-power-point-18599/

Specifically this post:

I'm using this adapter from Harbor Fright Tools, plugged into my Battery Tender pigtail under the passenger seat. I plugged in my GPS power cord and ran the wire under the edge of the seat up to the front.
I bought one of them from Harbor Freight, but I can't find where they are talking about to plug it in. Anyone know? Have a pic or something?

Thanks

FitZ6R

I bought one of them from Harbor Freight, but I can't find where they are talking about to plug it in. Anyone know? Have a pic or something?
"They" is me, so I'll explain.

A lot of bike dealers pre-install a connector for battery charging (I suspect Deltran, maker of the Battery Tender, provides the connectors either free or very cheap as a sales incentive). If you have one, it should be in an obvious place under the seat, typically strapped to the tool pouch.

If it's not there, you could ask your dealer for one, or buy one for a few bucks, or use the one included with the Battery Tender (which you're going want unless you ride all year).

ArkAngel06

"They" is me, so I'll explain.
Sorry.

I do not have one....Do you know a good place to look for such a thing?

And I live in Florida, so I do kinda ride it all year, at least a little bit. So I shouldn't need a battery tender.

Last edited:

FitZ6R

JonKerr

Elite Member

pyrocpu

Your dealer should have them or be able to get them. I live in San Diego and ride all year and have a Battery Tender. If you're going to have more than 2 weeks off the bike for any reason (vacation, weather, etc...) you should plug in a battery tender. Using that harness makes it so easy. I have it installed and wired so it's tucked right under the seat. I just reach in, pull it out and plug in. Don't even need to remove the seat to charge mine.
+1

I do the same exact thing, except mine is under the passenger seat/cowling. Batt tender normally, but I'll plug in the Harbor Freight connector to power my GPS. Awesome solution; I couldn't have done it w/o FitZ6R!

FZ6R-HWD

Used Powerlet products

Hi,
I have two powerpoints on the bike. One under the rear seat on the colored section of the bodywork and the other mounted right on the front fairing next to the dash. Since they are smaller and water proof they easily flush mount and work very well. Have them on both my bikes. You need to use an adapter if you only have a cig. plug but they are sooo much better then anything I have found and they can be used to charge the battery if you want.

Ed

ArkAngel06

I've got another question pertaining to this. I got it all hooked up with the Batter Tender pigtail, with the HF 12v adapter, and it keeps my phone charged...But thats all it does.

For example, on a 2 hour trip, I plugged my iPhone in while it was at 29% and when I took it out, it was only at 32%...Is that normal?

pyrocpu

Check the connection. It's not unusual to have 12V cig lighter power plugs lose contact as the bike's going down the road.

I'm only using the HF 12V converter socket as an inter-rim step. Eventually will be going to Powerlet products.