+1 in FRONT - ME LIKEY!! ALOT

tractorboy

Did a bunch of stuff on the 6r with adding a fender eliminator and new signals and a back off brake light deal. BUT THE BEST thing I did in my Opinion was the +1 up front. That 17 is great!!

Now my speedo is correct and with the taller gears first if MUCH better, for me atleast, now you can get through the turn before having to shift up and it just gives me the extra bit I desired in first. about 500RPM lower on the scale so need to get used to that and change my shift points but NICE.

My wife does not like the back off as much as she was hoping. its blink 3 with a longer 1/5 sec and three again. she said its like you dont know what your doing with that light "thingy" blinking all over. ( after following me to gas station) we will see.......hey it got her attention!!

Chucker

I like my +1 too.;)
Laurie, did you have the same speedo experience? Did it correct it? I don't even know if mine's off, but I assume it is based on the number of reports of them being off.

DragonBlu

The +1 front was the best thing I did to mine. That and a center stand. I just like the gearing better now especially in first.

Roaddawg

++1

Still has enough uummph when needed, but cruises nicer. One of the best and cheapest mods if you commute/ride freeway a lot...imo. If your the weekend warrior...don't bother.

Superzoom

Is the front sprocket switch straightforward, or does something need to be ground down to make room? I thought I remembered someone mentioning that you need a little more clearance.

Roaddawg

Last edited:

RedDeadRaven

Don't take this the wrong way, cuz I'm not doggin the +1, but several people in the various threads on the subject have remarked how much better 1st gear is. More specifically a few people have mentioned that 1st is pretty useless before the +1. I don't understand why its considered useless. Yes, its pretty short, but its good enough to hit 50 mph. Sooo.....yeah.....whatever.

CDN6R

Laurie, did you have the same speedo experience? Did it correct it? I don't even know if mine's off, but I assume it is based on the number of reports of them being off.
I changed to +1 mainly because everyone mentioned that the speedo was off (reading high). My bike only had a few KMS on it when it was done,but I do like the lower RPM's at 110KMS/HR

tractorboy

I did it too mostly for the speedo portion being spot on.

replacement is VERY straightforeword....I didnt have to grind a thing. snug but fits fine.....had to take off chain guide and slide both on at same time.

very easy.

nucmedman63

I just put the +1 on about aweek ago runs much nicer between 70-80mph on the highway and gears 1-5 love it but 6th gear feels alittle under powered just doesnt have that snap to it, but I do over 90% of my riding on highways im gonna stay with it. concidering getting the exhuast and pc to help it out.

CDN6R

People have posted that the 6R with a new aftermarket pipe or one made by Marthy along with either a PCV or 2 Bros Juice Box Pro really strengthens the mid range of our bikes. So the mentioned setup along with the + 1 sprocket should really make the 6R fly.

Roaddawg

I just put the +1 on about aweek ago runs much nicer between 70-80mph on the highway and gears 1-5 love it but 6th gear feels alittle under powered just doesnt have that snap to it, but I do over 90% of my riding on highways im gonna stay with it. concidering getting the exhuast and pc to help it out.
I think of 6th gear more like 'overdrive' for when your cuising freeway speeds. You do have to shift down to 5th if you need to pass or get up and go...but that's really the only negative about it.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Won't be night and days, but get enough out of it to make the bike funnier to ride.
cant wait to mod mine to be funnier to ride as well :eek: lulz

bigddy263

like my +1 too

I did the mod too. It was easy and straightforward. The post helped, but I didn't have to remove as much as a lot of guys. I left the chain guard in place and the shift linkage. I just had to loosen the clutch thingy (sorry) and took off the front sprocket cover. The front sprocket and chain came off in one piece and the fwd chain guard wiggled with it. Once I made enough slack in the chain, the 17t went back in the same way, by hand, no pounding necessary.
I have about 500m on the new sprocket. Some freeway, some around town. The friction point in the clutch seems wider, (a little easier to shift smooth.) I put 60 miles on it with my wife on the back. If I was going to ride two up all the time, I would put the 16t back on, but it wasn't bad. for the 55mph stuff, I just kept it in 5th gear. I even passed a couple of cars, just required a couple downshifts. Its really nice not haveing to do math to figure out your true speed. I checked mine with my garmin nuvi 750, which I mounted and ride with often. Riding by myself I like the new ratio better. I am not a super aggressive rider though. I do think the new gear keeps plenty of pull on the freeway and there is less shifting around town. I would highly recommend the gear if you don't think of your bike as a sport bike, but a sport tourer.