'08 GSX-6R - should never have gone

Grinch79

The 6R is all I have ever know when it comes to bikes....however I was with my friend today when he was getting a new jacket and I sat on a 2008 GSX-6R on the showroom floor. It was left over stock, 0 miles, black, and the dealer was willing to work with me.

Needless to say I've been interested in a different bike within a month of owning my 6R. Whether I go to one extreme of a super sport or jump into a straight up cruiser I may be done with the in between. It isn't that I feel the need to go 150 mph, do wheelies, or anything like that there are just so many more options for a more popular bike. I like options, and after doing a little more research on what bikes have or have available as options the FZ6R really is bone stock with a limited upgrade selection.

Anyone out there have any experience with a GSX-6R or have an idea on what I can expect when I test drive it tomorrow?

owldaddy

While the 6R doesn't have a lot of after market stuff available for it at this time. I suspect that will change. What farkles are you interested in that is not available, that you must have? So far I have found the things that I wanted to make it a better bike. Not all of them are made specifically for this machine, such as the Stebel horn I just installed. Some are, such as the center stand, which for the life of me I can not understand how a bike can be sold without (especially considering all the maintenance that requires the machine to be upright and vertical). If the GSX6R has all those things you want on a bike, then go for it, you will take a big hit on the depreciation on the 6R. While aftermarket stuff is nice, nothing beats a bike that is already set up the way you want it from the factory. Buying a bike that doesn't require a bunch of after market stuff is the best way to go, if you can find it. That is why I bought the 6R, I don't need to make many changes to make it the machine I wanted all along. The bargain basement price was icing on the cake. I had the same concerns as you when I bought my BMW. Which I took out today on a nice 200 mile ride. I got reminded just how nice it is to ride.

Mart Man FZ6R

While the 6R doesn't have a lot of after market stuff available for it at this time. I suspect that will change. What farkles are you interested in that is not available, that you must have? So far I have found the things that I wanted to make it a better bike. Not all of them are made specifically for this machine, such as the Stebel horn I just installed. Some are, such as the center stand, which for the life of me I can not understand how a bike can be sold without (especially considering all the maintenance that requires the machine to be upright and vertical). If the GSX6R has all those things you want on a bike, then go for it, you will take a big hit on the depreciation on the 6R. While aftermarket stuff is nice, nothing beats a bike that is already set up the way you want it from the factory. Buying a bike that doesn't require a bunch of after market stuff is the best way to go, if you can find it. That is why I bought the 6R, I don't need to make many changes to make it the machine I wanted all along. The bargain basement price was icing on the cake. I had the same concerns as you when I bought my BMW. Which I took out today on a nice 200 mile ride. I got reminded just how nice it is to ride.
What I want to know is are you as fast through the twisties on the BMW as you are on the 6R. You smoked my a$$ the day we went riding together. I know you have the fork emulators up front, but you left me like I was standing still. Embarrasing. HEHE

owldaddy

What I want to know is are you as fast through the twisties on the BMW as you are on the 6R
I'd like to think so.......:) We can set up another ride MartMan, I'll let you decide. Riding the BMW today was a reminder what a great bike it is. That suspension is awesome. I feel guilty, since I got the 6R, the BMW has been covered in the garage, and plugged into the tender. I got the 6R because it is a different riding experience, and it has ergonomics that fit my body well. Something that is hard to acquire, even with a ton of after market stuff. We have a bike that is just fun to ride, which is why the BMW has been parked. BTW I rode today with a guy I met at Knight's Ferry a couple weeks ago, he rides a 97 Valkyrie, think he kept up with me? :D Not a chance, the Valkyrie isn't designed to carve back roads. The Roadster is. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy my ride though, I don't have to go fast to have a good time. Which brings me back to what an outstanding bike the 6R can be too. No it isn't the fastest, not the best handling, not the most technologically advanced midsized bike, but it is fun, and the price is hard to beat. It can be a very good street bike with just a few mods. Since I'm not racing, I wasn't looking for a race bike, I was looking for a fun street bike, I got it. IMHO, the emulators should be standard equipment. The forks are the weakest link on the 6R. Something that can be fixed without to much trouble if you have the tools and mechanical ability.

Last edited:

MikeN02

Get both =D

In honestly, it depends on what you use the bike for... Toy?Travel? etc

What aftermarket items are you specifically looking at? I know what you mean by that... I wish they made some FZ6R stuff like shirts, gas tank covers, or keychains like they do with the Yamaha R6 and R1.

On the other hand, I see the same bike over and over, Gixxer Boys or Gixxer Girls.

Halon

I wouldn't mind seeing more gixxer girls... ;)

streetmaster

I know where you're coming from.
My bike was recently totalled & wondering whether to get a new FZ6R with the insurance money.
My local Kawasaki dealer has a 2008 ZX10R showroom display unit (never ridden) for $5000 off RRP.
They are around $20,000 ride away out here!

MikeN02

I know where you're coming from.
My bike was recently totalled & wondering whether to get a new FZ6R with the insurance money.
My local Kawasaki dealer has a 2008 ZX10R showroom display unit (never ridden) for $5000 off RRP.
They are around $20,000 ride away out here!
Hole-Le Cow...

$20,000 for japanese bike that isn't a chromed/tricked out busa!? That's insane...

Highest I've seen for a liter is about 12,000...

Must be the exchange rate there.

streetmaster

Hole-Le Cow...

$20,000 for japanese bike that isn't a chromed/tricked out busa!? That's insane...

Highest I've seen for a liter is about 12,000...

Must be the exchange rate there.
Everything is more expensive out here!
You can pick up a 2010 ZX10R on road (Reg, taxes etc) for around $18,000 ($15,600 US) with a bit of dealing.
The FZ6R is around $12000 on road!!!!! ($10,400 US)
Prices could be because of a smaller market here (Population around 22Mil)
Sux Deluxe on the prices in Aus!
Example http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bikes/bnbis/details.aspx?R=8671387&__sid=1295235C5315&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=p_RankSort_Int32|1||p_Make_String|0||p_Model_String|0||p_YearMade_Int32|1||p_PriceSort_Decimal|1&keywords=&__N=1432 604 1430 1429 1428 4294967215 4294960972 82&seot=1&__Nne=3&__No=0&trecs=22&silo=1402

Last edited:

Mart Man FZ6R

Everything is more expensive out here!
You can pick up a 2010 ZX10R on road (Reg, taxes etc) for around $18,000 ($15,600 US) with a bit of dealing.
The FZ6R is around $12000 on road!!!!! ($10,400 US)
Prices could be because of a smaller market here (Population around 22Mil)
Sux Deluxe on the prices in Aus!
Example New KAWASAKI Ninja ZX-10R Motorcycles For Sale - bikesales.com.au
Man that just plain suxxx. Owl Daddy and I got our bikes from the same dealer (we didn't know each other at the time) for $6200 out the door. They were brand new TYB which were the last two they had in stock in this color. The dealer sold a yellow one the same day (we haven't run into this guy yet) at the same price. We didn't even have to brow beat the dealer, they had the bikes advertised on the internet for this price.

steve b.

i just went from a cbr1000rr to a fr6r the cbr was to fast, 90 in first gear and my hands and neck hurt after 10 miles . the fz6r is not as fast but very comfortable , just my two cents. steve b.

Quietwhisper

I went out riding with a buddy of mine the other day who had a Honda CBR 600RR and we stopped for a fill up at a gas station. He turned to me and said, "have you ever drivin a supersport before?" I said, "nope." So we switched bikes. Your body position is completely different and the feel of the bike is extremely changed. Even just standing the bike up when I sat on it I could tell how much lighter it felt.

So we took off. I drove his bike for nearly 2 hours, didnt have any problem with back or arms getting sore and also noticed I could take corners extremely smooth with this bike. The speed and torque difference was also amazing.

I love my FZ6R because it is my first bike I have ever ridden. But I'm sorry to say that I too have regrets on buying the FZ6R over a true superbike first, and come next riding season (MN winter sucks) I will be going new bike shopping as well because I was so extremely happy with the way the CBR600RR felt.

Superzoom

Triumph Street Triple

Personally, I think the Triumph Street Triple is a more logical upgrade for a person who likes everything about an FZ6R except for the power and the suspension. The Street Triple has a similar riding position, but is better in almost every other way. The price reflects this, but the bike is in no way overpriced for what you get.

The looks, however, are debatable. I was very, very close to buying a Street Triple, but the crazy low price on new leftover '09's swayed me to buy the FZ6R. I love my FZ6R, but I strongly suspect that in a few years, I may "upgrade" to a Street Triple.

streetmaster

I love my FZ6R because it is my first bike I have ever ridden. But I'm sorry to say that I too have regrets on buying the FZ6R over a true superbike first, and come next riding season (MN winter sucks) I will be going new bike shopping as well because I was so extremely happy with the way the CBR600RR felt.
I think it is a very bad thing for any inexperienced rider to hop straight on to any super sport bike as their first bike.
There is no way a noob is going to have the exerience needed to truly handle one of these weapons!
We all want 'more power', but try to make the learning curve easy!
I started riding 30 years ago & after a few years break, decided to get back into it, thats why I chose a mid sized bike.
Here in Aus we have restrictions on the size/power a new rider is allowed to have. I personally think it is a good thing. My 2c.

Note, as said earlier in this post, my bike was totaled. Not my fault!!:D
Cager that had his licence for 4 months decided to overtake me coming up to a blind corner. (we were doing 50mph.)
Swerved straight into me as a 4x4 came around the corner! Ouch!!

Last edited:

streetmaster

Man that just plain suxxx. Owl Daddy and I got our bikes from the same dealer (we didn't know each other at the time) for $6200 out the door. They were brand new TYB which were the last two they had in stock in this color. The dealer sold a yellow one the same day (we haven't run into this guy yet) at the same price. We didn't even have to brow beat the dealer, they had the bikes advertised on the internet for this price.
They dont even advertise the FZ6R out here. Dont have too! Not enough in stock as it is!!
Dealer told me that if any dealer doesnt have one to sell you, you have to wait untill the next shipment!!
My dealer only has their demo unit left & dont want to sell it as they dont know exactly when the next ones are due & they are whats called a "Platinum Dealer" & they get first pick!
Also, we only get the choice of black or white out here. Dont mind the white, but would much rather it with black seats!

owldaddy

I went out riding with a buddy of mine the other day who had a Honda CBR 600RR and we stopped for a fill up at a gas station. He turned to me and said, "have you ever drivin a supersport before?" I said, "nope." So we switched bikes. Your body position is completely different and the feel of the bike is extremely changed. Even just standing the bike up when I sat on it I could tell how much lighter it felt.

So we took off. I drove his bike for nearly 2 hours, didnt have any problem with back or arms getting sore and also noticed I could take corners extremely smooth with this bike. The speed and torque difference was also amazing.
I don't know you Quietwhisper, but I envy you. I wish I could jump on a bike that put my body into that position. I'm guessing your a young person. When I bought my BMW back in 04, the dealer put me on a R1000S (the BMW answer to super sport) first. It took less then 10 minutes for my wrists to start complaining. The salesman was riding a traded in R1150R (26,000 miles) and asked if I would like to swap with him as I wanted to get off the R1000S. I found the Roadster a lot more to my liking, as it fit well, and it didn't hurt my poor beat up old body. One reason I bought the 6R was because it didn't hurt to ride it. Point to be made here is, if you can tolerate a pure super sport, and your young enough not to hurt riding it, go for it. Once you get a few years older, you may wish you hadn't missed the chance. We all have our needs when it comes to riding, mine require a more upright riding position. Hence the 6R. There isn't one bike that fits everyone's needs, or we would all be riding the same bike. In the end we all ride to have fun, and which ever machine gives you the most enjoyment is the right machine for you. I find the 6R to be a very good street bike, it does what I want it to do, and for me it is a better choice. BTW I have embarrassed many pure super sport bikes in the twisties with my Roadster. It isn't always the machine that goes fast, it's the rider who knows how to handle it. In fact, one of the riders who had given me the most competition in the twisties was riding a BMW K1200LT, (full boat touring bike) he had a passenger to boot. I was amazed at how he made that bike move down the road. Says a lot for his pillion too, she knew how to be a good passenger.

Quietwhisper

owldaddy, I love that post. Well said in every way. :)

Grinch79

So the test drive went very well, I love the electronic steering dampener and the power modes were also amazing. I stayed in C (lowest power band avail) again not because I want to do wheelies but I really love the look and options for a super sport. So the riding style was much more aggressive as expected with more weight pushed forward and it felt like my feet were more behind me than right under me. I'm 6'4" so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I honestly had to think about it even though it had everything I wanted. The riding position didn't bother me but then I got the the question "why do I even have a bike"? I don't really use it to commute due to living a few miles from work, I don't ride on the highway with it or use to go out of town, and I like in IA so there are no mountain twistier or crazy riding areas that I know of. So I came down to the answer of pure fun. Get home, work out, an jump on the bike for an hour or so messing around through town then park it until another day.

I did ride a Vulcan 900 Custom with the special edition flat black paint job with the silver. Never rode a cruiser and the dealer insisted before I made another choice that I could regret. Soooooooo........I have a tough decision to make.

1) keep my 6R until next year then trade out of it
2) upgrade to the '08 GSX-6R
3) ride away with a blacked out cruiser and hit some country back roads

Life's about choices....

WenMark

I say keep your "R" and wait to see what Yamaha comes out with next. The new R1 will be nice, FZ1 will be hot, and maybe the FZ8 will be coming to the US. JMO