Yamaha Windscreen

Bigevildoer

I bought the clear double-bubble from Yamaha too...
I'm 6' tall, and broad across the shoulders... I notice a big difference in the wind turbulence - especially from oncoming tractor-trailers (on a 2 lane road), or when I'm travelling over 100km/h. The wind pressure on my shoulders has been reduced by about 35% (estimated, of course) and makes my riding much more comfortable.
The turbulence around my helmet has also been reduced, by an estimated 20% or so.
Just my $.02 worth!

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Roaddawg

The Yamaha site says that the fully tinted one is the same height as the stock windscreen, the clear (lower half tinted) is an inch higher than stock.
That's what the site says, but in actuality, the clear is the same size as stock and the tinted one is slightly shorter than stock. The only thing I can think of is if they are measuring from the ground up from the mounted position on the bike, then maybe its taller that direction. But, side by side they are the same.

Heineken

Elite Member

gearhead

Looks awesome. Any big differences from the stock Yamaha windshield while riding? What did you pay for it?

Heineken

Elite Member

porky45

I payed 70 bucks delivered. As for the benefits of the windshield... well I'll test ride it tomorrow and post my feedback. :beer:
alright buddy....feedback time!!! :D

Heineken

Elite Member

FitZ6R

I put on my Yamaha raised bubble screen on a few days ago, and have only ridden a couple times since.

My first impression on the highway was "not much difference," then I looked down and realized I was doing about 15 MPH faster than I felt I was. At highway speed, there's a noticeable (not overwhelming, but noticeable) reduction in wind pressure / buffeting. At all speeds, it's a bit quieter, and I can hear more of the bike and less of the wind.

So, based on my limited esperience, I think it's a worthwhile improvement (and I don't know why Yamaha didn't supply this screen as stock). I also think it looks a better than the stock screen, both from the street and the saddle.

FitZ6R

Thanks for the feedback. Hearing more bike and less wind may be the deal maker for me!
As I think about it, I wonder if the curved screen is acting as a parabolic sound reflector. Or I could be imagining things. :don'tknow: But if I can imagine it, so can you!

toastmaster

FitZ6R: how tall are you? Like BigEvilDoer, I'm 6' tall, so if you're similarly tall, then it sounds like this would be a great addition for me.

FitZ6R

FitZ6R: how tall are you? Like BigEvilDoer, I'm 6' tall, so if you're similarly tall, then it sounds like this would be a great addition for me.
I'm 5' 7" on a good day. How's the weather up there?

Roaddawg

Hey Toast, I'm 6'3" and have the same feelings about the screen as FitZ6R did. Better than stock, but nothing huge. For the price, it's worth it. Also, I bought mine online through Stadium Yamaha, since they had the best price I could find anywhere. $55 plus about $8 to ship to CA.
2009 Yamaha FZ6R Yamaha Raised Bubble Windscreen (Clear) at Stadium Yamaha

Bigevildoer

I'm 6' bang on the money, weigh 213 lbs. The seat on my FZ6R is also in the raised position, rear shock preload set to 6. I figure this information is pertinent as the seat raises you up higher, and the preload prevents the rear end from sagging - in effect keeping my head and shoulders in the airstream a little more.

HOpe this helps!

ksanbon

Thanks for the input & pics everyone.

I bought my clear raised-bubble windscreen from the dealer (good guy) and paid the retail $69 + tax.

Installed it in 2 minutes and removed the sticker in 30 (ridiculous!)

Went on a test ride, rode downwind & upwind. The new screen eliminated the wind blast at my chest & smoothed the airflow around my helmet. I'm still getting wind noise in the helmet (new HJC) but sealing leaks might help. BTW, I'm 5'9" and my seat is at the stock height.

I was going to keep the old one, but I don't think I ever want to use it again.

CGENGO

Double-bubble effects...

At 5'8" I noticed the new windscreen (thanks Santa) does push more of the air up and over my head. However, I also noticed that a portion of air is now hitting my upper arms. This was a strange new sensation, forcing me to close the "pit-zips" for the ride. But it sure looks good!