Yamaha fz6r vs ninja 300

rkazemi

I want your guys opinion I'm a new rider and I can get either one of these bikes for about 4500$ brand new. The only difference would be about 3x more for insurance on the fz6r do you think it's worth getting it or stick to the slightly cheaper path of the 300 I'm also considering a used 650r and ER-6.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Qrider682

I want your guys opinion I'm a new rider and I can get either one of these bikes for about 4500$ brand new. The only difference would be about 3x more for insurance on the fz6r do you think it's worth getting it or stick to the slightly cheaper path of the 300 I'm also considering a used 650r and ER-6.

I would get the Ninja 300. Not because it's a better bike but because it will be an easily bike for you to learn on. The extra 100lbs of the bigger bike are a handful for beginner. If you are a tall and strong guy then you can probably start on a FZ or 650.

Invader Jim

Buy used and small (250 - 300) for your first bike unless you are a really big person. This late in the year you might find a really good bargain. Make sure you actually like riding and have the time to do it before you buy a brand new bike.

rkazemi

I'm pretty sure I don't want to go for a 250 mostly due to it being carborated. I'm pretty dead set on either the 300 or fz6r. And the only difference is insurance yes I think the 300 is more user friendly and better looking but I think the fz6r will be the better bike and also buying a used 300 won't really save much since there so new

latony007

Im kinda with everyone else, go with the 300 but buy a used one and dump it in a year, by then you will be ready to move up the the FZ6R or the FZ07 or 09. because the 300 is only a couple years old its harder to buy a cheap used one. I hear what your saying about carbs on the 250 and i hate carbs too but if your only goign to keep it for a year who cares and you can get a used one dirt cheap. let us know what you pick.

Invader Jim

I'm pretty sure I don't want to go for a 250 mostly due to it being carborated. I'm pretty dead set on either the 300 or fz6r. And the only difference is insurance yes I think the 300 is more user friendly and better looking but I think the fz6r will be the better bike and also buying a used 300 won't really save much since there so new
2013 Kawasaki Ninja

looks too good.

latony007

xinu

I have not seen this, interesting. Supersport riding position at 300 cc? is that correct? under 5k list price is cheap. At least they will have 3 fairing bikes now but all super sport.
Interesting eh.

I does have clip-ons so if it isn't a SS riding position I'm sure it would be close. This addition now puts Yamaha in a entry level head to head with Honda and Kawi. From what I can tell from the specs it will probably out run the Honda CBR300 not sure about the Ninja 300.

Qrider682

Interesting eh.

I does have clip-ons so if it isn't a SS riding position I'm sure it would be close. This addition now puts Yamaha in a entry level head to head with Honda and Kawi. From what I can tell from the specs it will probably out run the Honda CBR300 not sure about the Ninja 300.
It's lighter and more powerful than the Ninja 300. I don't see how it can't outrun it too. Only thing is it would not come out till next year. Op, get a used Ninja250r, 300r, Cbr250r to get your training. When you sell them or trade them in after a year, you will not lose much $$$. Almost everyone drop their first bike while learning. It's better to do it on a cheap/used bike.

rkazemi

I do like the r3 but I doubt dealerships will be out to make deals on it when it comes out in February since I anticipate it to sell very well

NMdesertracer

My son got the 14' ABS Ninja 300 same time I got my 13' fz6r. I would go with the 300 unless your fat. If your fat then the 300 turns into a little Donkey! My son originally wanted a R6 I said hell no. :spank:

latony007

I do like the r3 but I doubt dealerships will be out to make deals on it when it comes out in February since I anticipate it to sell very well
True, Plus at 4999 retail how much can you get off of it? maybe 500? What they really need to do now that they have this entry level bike is re-design the 6R to a 750 or something, but it seems like either supersport or naked is going to be the only options. Everyone keeps saying there is going to be a 2015 FZ6R and FZ1 but i havent seen one yet. I hope they do the FZ1 was my next best option for a bike. i love their slogan for it. "The R1 for the real world"

blkbrd

Elite Member

RoadTrip

I started riding almost 4 years ago, I initially debated on whether to start on the Ninja250 or start on the FZ6R. I did ride a dual sport for awhile 20yrs earlier, but I didn't want to start out too big this second time around. The guy at the dealership and my friend at work talked me out of the Ninja250, so I started on the FZ6R.

I rode it up and down my neighborhood for a couple of weeks before I got the courage to take it out on the highway for a short road trip. Anyway, I found the bike to be very forgiving and easy to ride, I just took it slow and eased into it. Before long I was riding it with full confidence.

The argument to start on 40-50hp bike (Ninja300, CBR500R, etc) is certainly valid, but a lot of people acclimate to that power quickly and have to turn around and sell it in a short time. Whereas the FZ6R has enough power to keep you entertained for at least 10,000 miles or more. There have been lots of debate as to whether the FZ6R can be a good bike to start on, I am one who thinks it can work for most people.

Bert-Aus

Start on what you feel is comfortable to yourself,
at the end of the day there are too many bikes out there to choose from and none of them you will keep forever!
So get what is good for you and when the time comes to upgrade/ downgrade/ sidegrade(?) get what bike tickles you and enjoy it!

rkazemi

I just ran the insurance on the Fz6r again it's actually at 160$ a month and ninja is only 40$ I'm leaning towards the FZ6R but the insurance seems a bit high being about 4x more and getting worse mileage obviously

Qrider682

I just ran the insurance on the Fz6r again it's actually at 160$ a month and ninja is only 40$ I'm leaning towards the FZ6R but the insurance seems a bit high being about 4x more and getting worse mileage obviously
4x is crazy, try a few more company. I wouldn't get full cover if it's that much. The bike is cheap. If you can afford to replace it, then just get liability. If the FZ6R is what you really want, then get it. If you get the Ninja300, you will probably want to upgrade within the 1st yr.