wiring a gear indicator

tractorboy

Have an opportunity to pick up a gear indicator at a good price. Now we all know good price = WORK so.....

I have the Service manual and trying to find where I would hook in wiring....

All I have to go by is the color coding for the wiring by "gear". Its not an accum DG8, it seems to be generic "universal" for all bikes with Electronic Tach and Speedo. But Im not seeing anything in the book about certain wires that are or may be indicitive of a particular GEAR.

Anyone have any ideas on this?? Or point in the right direction in the manual? Im gonna scan it again and pay close attention to anything regarding the ECM/ECU and the wiring diagrams. Im wondering if the tach has some sort of wiring that knows what gear your in but I cant imagine. I cant imagine a bike would care/ or need a "wire" for 1st, 2nd, or third for ANYTHING as its all a mechanical vs electronic. so im lost on HOW this thing could be wired in this fashion......but.....
Thanks

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

tractorboy

Yeah..thats what im thinking too.

I did narrow down the following. The speed sensor - that truly measures wheel speed as to check it function. you spin the front wheel and look for voltage change. But cant find anything on tach/rev limiter

Im wonder if Crankshaft speed sensor IS the rev limiter? Need to review that too.

but still have no clue how that has to do/ can indicate gear...as this unit has a power lead, ground, neutral, and 1st gear wire, 2nd gear wire, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear lead wires? Weird.

Thanks:banghead: actually I see its crankshaft POSITION Sensor...still see no relay/unit for engine speed ??!!

Last edited:

FitZ6R

What kind of gear indicator, and where did you get it? Do you have a link to installation instructions?

tractorboy

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

tractorboy

NO I did buy it..was looking at it. Thats why I was researching it first as the wiring seemed odd...and also.....a BIG DUH....5 gears your right!!!

FitZ6R

Universal? Unfortunately, the term is often used to mean, "it's got to fit some bike in the universe." :confused:

For 5 bucks, I guess it's not worth sending back. Maybe you could donate it to a kid's science project - rocket countdown indicator or something.