Wingsuit video! Really awesome!

Sparkxx1

I don't know how many of you have seen this, but it has been going "viral" and I saw it about a week ago. I just thought I should share this talented and pretty fearless guy with everyone on the forum. WELL! here's the video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k]Jeb Corliss " Grinding The Crack" - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy!

AngryAnt

That looks so awesome. I looked into wing suits after I went through a couple skydiving lessons. There is a ton of time and money involved. I think you have to get licensed, go through at least 140 dives or so, get special training, and probably $20,000 worth of equipment between a regular skydiving setup and a wing suit setup and training. Still totally looks worth it though.

redprodigy35

Siiiiick video!

I like G-Shock watches, and was psyched when I saw this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOVDgsir5NM&feature=player_embedded]"The Descent" Featuring The GDF100 Series - YouTube[/ame]

But that vid is by far the best I've seen for wingsuits. :drool:

CrazyCawi

When I went skydiving a guy jumped with a wingsuit, he was hevaily trained and one of the best there. What our instructors told us is that he is there for emergency. We had to sign a waiver saying if we hinder the instructor in any incident and put them at risk they can cut us loose before releasing the emergency chute, So the wing suits job was if someone gets cut loose, to play chase and catch them. They are extremely fast and agile but the suit allowed him to hover above us and watch for any difficulty

Fzara2000

When I went skydiving a guy jumped with a wingsuit, he was hevaily trained and one of the best there. What our instructors told us is that he is there for emergency. We had to sign a waiver saying if we hinder the instructor in any incident and put them at risk they can cut us loose before releasing the emergency chute, So the wing suits job was if someone gets cut loose, to play chase and catch them. They are extremely fast and agile but the suit allowed him to hover above us and watch for any difficulty
hinder the instructor how?

CrazyCawi

hinder the instructor how?
if the parachute failed, they have a secondary. if you somehow get entabgled with a chute, or preventing the secondary chute from opening(crazy shit can happen up their) they can cute you as they have a third which can only host their own body weight.

AngryAnt

Ha, that must have been a nice skydiving range. I took two lessons, one tandem and one solo. We didn't have anybody to save us, and our instructor had no issues telling us he wouldn't lose any sleep if he had to cut us loose and let us hit the ground without a chute if we started freaking out on him...

bmw675

I would imagine it takes a good deal of strength to use one of those wing suits. I would think the force between your arms and torso would be unreal.

CrazyCawi

Some cool info

You achieve a glide ratio of about 2 to 1. This means for every 2 feet of horizontal movement, you drop about 1 foot. But it also should be noted that with body manipulation, and selection of wingsuit design, you can alter your forward speed and sink rate. To a fix wing pilot like myself, a 2 to 1 glide ratio means you are essentially dropping like a brick. But to a skydiver, you truly are flying. It all depends on your perspective. You are by definition, a pilot, when wingsuit flying. But in this case, your body in combination with your wingsuit, becomes your aircraft.

Lets examine how wingsuit flying works. After you depart from your jump off point, either a cliff, airplane, or man-made object, you will sink but you will also start to fly horizontally. Actually, the technique for departure from an airplane is completely different from that which is used when departing from a fixed object. One requires entry into a slip stream and relative wind, one does not. You will learn this type of information if you receive formal instruction.

After you depart and sink, you will develop a horizontal velocity component. Your average horizontal velocity, relative to the ground, will be around 100mph. But if you have a tailwind, your horizontal speed can reach up to 140mph to 160mph. Your sink rate is much less compared to typical skydiving. Your vertical terminal velocity when skydiving is anywhere between 110 to 140 mph, depending on body orientation. With wingsuit flying, on average you obtain a vertical velocity of around 40mph.

After you have flown horizontally anywhere from 1 to 2 minutes, depending on your starting altitude, you release your parachute, and then land a short time later. Stamina is also important, as it takes quite a bit of muscle strength to fly a wingsuit to its full capacity. The most important part of this type of flying is to know when to release your parachute.

There are groups around the world that are working on wingsuit fly

Article Source: How to Use a Wingsuit For Human Flight

cavcuz05

:eek:he was hauling so much ass through those trees:eek:

Chucker

Do you think it would screw up my flight when my center of gravity shifted to my ankles as I crapped myself uncontrollably?

CrazyCawi

Do you think it would screw up my flight when my center of gravity shifted to my ankles as I crapped myself uncontrollably?
Quite possibly :eek: