Will I pop a wheelie?

MNDZA

The FZ6R is my first bike and I'm getting used to riding. When I accelerate hard, I fear that I might bring the front end up. Is it possible with this bike or am I just worrying too much? I'm not popping the clutch, just twisting the throttle while already in gear.

fuzzylogic

its possible but unless you are a featherweight, i doubt it will skyrocket the front end when you hammer it unless it occurs during some very specific circumstances. i weigh in around 240 (being 6'2" and built like a bear doesn't help =( ) and even nailing it in first won't bring the front end up unless you dump the clutch from a stop. of course this is with my big ass on the bike. if you are lighter by a few, or maybe 80 pounds, it very well may so be carefull.

T

tasop7

Well I don't have an FZ6R but I'm sure it's not a whole lot different from my 2006 FZ6 (as far as power, etc). When I got my bike last year (first bike too) I was totally worried about the same thing. When you watch videos of people doing wheelies, they make it look like the bike comes up so easy. Then you'll watch videos of crashes and that's that last thing you want to do lol.

Our bikes do have a lot of power but they aren't like the high-end super sports out there. Also, we have an inline-4 which has less torque than say a Suzuki SV650 with a V-twin. So, I've found it's pretty difficult to lift the front end up (which is good, keeps me out of trouble ;)). I've never tried to bring the front end up by dumping the clutch, but I did want to know the know the boundaries of my bike so I don't accidentally lift it by rolling back on the throttle too much/fast. So I took it to a straight private back road, stayed in 1st gear, started riding around 5k rpm, and rolled back on the throttle pretty aggressively... front end stayed down. I kept doing that starting at a higher rpm each time. Now this was last year so I don't remember the exact number, but I had to be all the way up to like 9k, let off the throttle a little, then roll back all the way for the bike to even hint at coming up (I think I was just sitting up straight). I'm sure if you really lean your weight back, you could have it come up sooner. If you lean forward, it makes it even more difficult to bring it up. BTW, I'm only 120 lbs. I was kinda scared too so I'm sure I could have been more aggressive.

So long explanation, but I guess I'm just saying not to worry about it unless you ride super aggressively and lean back as you're doing it. Now, obviously when you add the clutch into the mix, everything changes. So just be careful.

Also, read through these wheelie threads, and don't do what they say lol...
http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/13577-wheelie-anyone.html
http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/4405-how-do-you-wheelie.html

Hope this helps!

-Taso

T

tasop7

Also, off topic, but do you live right in Chicago? I'm about 45 min. NW.

-Taso

J

jmerch44

IF YOU COME OFF THE LINE TO HARD ON THE THROTTLE YOU WILL WHEELIE! but in any other gear besides first, dont even worry about it. the powerband is so high up in the rpm's, its almost impossible to do without clutching. BE SAFE OUT THERE!

reiobard

if you are not trying to wheelie then that is usually when it gets dangerous. I have wheelied a few times on a few bikes on accident and they were suprisingly smooth and slow, it is when you pop the clutch or crack the throttle in 1st gear that it comes up fast and is harder to control.

wrightme43

Admin of Socks & Puppets
Its not going to do anything you dont tell it to do. Thats not to say you cant tell it to crash and all, just that it is just not going to come up unless you make it.

fz6rwolf

If you pop the clutch HARD it can but I've actually tried a couple times while in 1st hitting 6k letting off and hitting the throttle again and pulled it up some but not way up so it takes some trying. If like other poster said you rev it real high at a light and dump the clutch you most certainly will pull it up and it will be a hard to control thing. I don't street race so have no chance of that happening;)

MNDZA

Also, off topic, but do you live right in Chicago? I'm about 45 min. NW.

-Taso
I'm almost always in the Naperville/Aurora area.

F

Fred

It all depends on your weight.
I weight 220, and my front wheel stays firmly planted at all times.

Add camping gear and saddlebags on the back, and it'll wheelie in first.

For a lighter person, first gear wheelies will be a common thing.

Fred

F

FizzySix

Unless you're very light, it's pretty unlikely you'll pop a wheelie by accident just by getting on the throttle. But still, as a new rider, you'll probably still want to take it easy as you build confidence over time.

That being said, it is possible to do wheelies, stoppies, etc. with the FZ6. There's some amusing hooligans on YouTube called the "Y-men" who sometimes employ the FZ6 in their shenanigans. The link below shows a little of their parking-lot practice - all of that stuff is clearly possible, but you can see he's also working at it.

We have no way of knowing if he changed the sprockets, of course.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJoG9DYLDn0]YouTube - Y-men 6[/ame]

Disclaimer: FizzySix neither endorses nor encourages such irresponsible (yet entertaining) behavior

;)

xplodnstar

I'm at almost 3k in miles now and don't weight much (120ish) and I have never had an issue with the front wheel popping up. I'm not one to shoot off the line really hard, but I also don't ride conservatively either. I'm sure it's possible to make the bike wheelie, but you'd have to work at it.

My hubby, on the other had, has a Kawi 10-R and scares the crap out of himself all the time. he often comes home and tells me the story of how he was playing with the bikes power and realizes the handlebars twist really easy.

You shouldn't have any trouble like that on this bike.

fstrthan_uthink

I wouldn't worry about unintentional wheelies, the FZ6R really doesn't have the power to loft the front like, say, an R6. Pretty much any bike will wheelie though if you try (or pop the clutch) hard enough. Just be safe out there :]