Why is my bike high?

fltdriver

My bike completed rehab and is no longer high.

I rode 20 miles from work to home this morning, stopped at a gas station by my house to fill the tank. When I started the bike my RPMs were 2200 at idle, sat there for a few minutes waiting for them to drop but they didn't so I just rode the 4 blocks and again let it sit for a minute or two but still had 2200+ @ idle. Shut it off and pushed the bike into the garage, smoked a cig, then started it again-still the same.

My question- Why so high? Before I left for work last night I started the bike and noticed that within 2 minutes the temp was already @165* but I didn't look at the RPMs (was kinda fixated on the temp)

Bike only has < 2k on it

Last edited:

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member
Last edited:

fltdriver

After sitting for about 30 min I got back on to run to a meeting and it started and idled at 1200. Then on my way way back when I started it the bike was idling at 2000.

Would I be alright turning the idle down?-ask because on cold starts it is in the 1250-1350 range if not a tad lower.

I guess my real question is at what point am I shooting for the 1300 range- at startup or after riding for a few minutes, and should there be a difference between the two idle speeds?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

poWKaw

I'm with FZRblack, especially if it's under warranty. You don't want things going wrong with your bike no matter how little, if I come off I want it to be my fault, not the bikes.

fltdriver

When I started my bike this afternoon it was idling @2000 on a cold start. So I adjusted the idle and it seems to have solved my problems. Thanks for the link to that thread because I was worried about having to remove the tank while it was completely full.

Thanks again. This is why I like forums.

Deanohh

I thought normal was to cold start high idle and then settle down to the spec idle as you get to operating temp.

KeysRider3

Leaky seals around the intake can cause a high rpms when the throttle should be closed. I had that problem with my Harley.

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Last edited:

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

fltdriver

if youd stop putting meth in the tank XP maybe your bike wouldnt always be "high"
Figured out my problem thanks to jon----I've been using 89 octane w/10% METHANOL.... j/k only run premium btw.

On my other bikes, I would spray starter fluid around the intakes. If the rpms shoot up, it's leaky.

On this bike, not so sure. Starter fluid is caustic and can do bad things to paint. I'm also assuming it would have the same effect with fuel injectors vs. carburated, which is what I used the trick on.
I had heard the same thing but about using WD40, either way I don't think I have a leak. Ever since I turned the idle down it has been steadily idling @1400.

No other troubles with the bike it was just bugging me that I was waisting that little bit of extra gas while sitting at stop lights/signs.

Thanks for your help guys, esp FZRblack cause without that thread it probably would have taken me forever to find the idle adjustment.