Who switched from a cruiser?

bobski

Who switched from riding a cruiser to riding the FZ6R, why did you switch, and what are your opinions now that you've switched? Are you happy you switched? Is there something you miss about your cruiser and plan go back?

lwclancers

I had a Shadow Psirit 750. I wouldnt look back! I have a bad back and the arching caused by a cruiser position was hell...I love the seating position of an upright sportbike.

Maneuvering is much easier and riding is more enjoyable.

short_guy

I started riding on a VStar 650, and made the move to the sport-bike "Dark Side" after about two years. Zero regrets. The handling, the riding position, the near electric power delivery are all far superior on the FZ6R. I'll still go for an occasional ride on the VStar, but, hands-down, my bike of choice is the 6R.

AFDavis11

I was on a VTX 1300 and moved to a Goldwing, and am now on the FZ6R. My goal is to try out all different kinds of bikes.

I like the FZ6R, now that it has hard luggage on it a lot more. I get cramped in the knees though and will go back to a cruiser first chance I get.

The FZ6R is a great bike, but a little uncomfortable for me. It is also very underpowered, but I can adapt to that.

I have been riding since I was 15, so about 35 years. This is the first bike out of maybe 10 that I felt was a little underpowered.

For me the criteria for a good bike includes comfort, luggage, highway capability and coolness factor. The FZ6R excels in several of these areas.

Osoreru

I was on a VTX 1300 and moved to a Goldwing, and am now on the FZ6R. My goal is to try out all different kinds of bikes.

I like the FZ6R, now that it has hard luggage on it a lot more. I get cramped in the knees though and will go back to a cruiser first chance I get.

The FZ6R is a great bike, but a little uncomfortable for me. It is also very underpowered, but I can adapt to that.

I have been riding since I was 15, so about 35 years. This is the first bike out of maybe 10 that I felt was a little underpowered.

For me the criteria for a good bike includes comfort, luggage, highway capability and coolness factor. The FZ6R excels in several of these areas.
I've been on a couple of different cruisers, standards, and SS bikes since I got the FZ6R, though I've never owned them. None are remotely as comfortable to me, and none seem to handle nearly as well. Granted I haven't been on any "high end" bikes, but reality is the 6R isn't a high end bike itself, and yet trumps all others I've had experience with hands down. So no, unless at some point way down the road I decide that I can't live without some of the comforts of a big cruiser on extemely long trips, I'll stick to the more sport-touring styles.

Sage

I moved from a vStar 650 which was my first bike on to this after I wanted to go for a more sporty feel. I love all bikes so who knows how random my bike ownership list will end up being.

fz6rwolf

Riding off and on since got license at 16, now 49. Always had cruisers when got out of dirt/enduro's. Last cruiser a vtx1300c, nice but heavy. Wanted more nimble after moving to the city and FZ6R nice for city traffic and narrow streets and turns. Good power and comfortable position. Things I miss about cruisers is more comfortable for a passenger, looks and sound (v-twin with good pipes sounds aewsome. If could would own 3 bikes, and enduro, cruiser and a comfy sportbike but alas no winning lottery tickets as of yet.

Ryan85

I also started on a V-Star 650. I like the way the FZ6R handles and looks much better, but I miss the shaft drive on the V-Star. I always look at it as I traded that for fuel injection.

I've only had the FZ6R for 2-3 months, but I'm very happy I made the trade.

indybill

Do not know about switching because I still have a Victory Cross Country. I have been riding since I was 10 years old starting on mini bikes and am now 64 years old. Over the years I have had more bikes than I care to count but really just like them all. I bought the FZ6R for my grandaughter but she got a boyfriend and a car and has lost her interest in riding with me for a while. I started riding the bike back and forth to work and on some weekend twistys around here and love it. I also have a Triumph Speed Triple but except for the power the little Yamaha is a much more fun bike. At this time the FZ gets more miles than any of the others.

Bill

jocampo

Hi,

My 1st post here :) ... but got several days browsing the Internet and trying to decide if the FZ6R is the right one for me.

I have a 2009 Ninja 250, the second generation, that I'm ready to sell or trade in. Awesome bike, but it's time for a more powerful bike.

I do like the FZ6R and also the V start 650 custom. But I am having issues deciding.

I've checked the Ninja 650 too, but it looks like the Yamaha delivers a smoother torque and provides a more comfortable seating.

Should I go for the touring bike or choose between the Ninja and the Yamaha.

Jots S.R.M.C.

I started riding on a Street bike...

I've ridden every kind of bike in my 14 years of riding...

Dirtbikes, Cruisers, Enduros, Super Bikes, Sport Bikes, Sport Touring bikes, Drag style bikes, Choppers..

Right now I legaly own a FZ6R Yamaha, A Harley, a Honda VTX (Godly fast Cruiser with a HYPER CHARGER!!!, a Honda Stuntbike (F4i ) and a GSXR Stuntbike..

Daily Rider- Fz6r

Once in awhile cruise - Harley....... I feel like crusing with friends with cruisers VTX - I'm headed to San Diego from Tucson Arizona Thursday night for a National Run my Motorcycle club Sober Riders Sandiego Crew is throwing..

And im riding my FZ6r- I went to a military surpluys store and got a really cool light medic bag im going to strap to my front windshield ( it wont block my light) - similar to the round packs you will see on cruisers.... But I got a EPIC way of packing it..

Long, wide douffle bag on the rear... Then a gas tank on one side.. Water and another bag on other.. Then on top.. More Bags

:) Ill post some pics when im geared up.. As much as hard and normal bags are fun.. I just havent had the money to buy what I want..

And you can strap.. THE WORLD on the back of your bike if you just get alot of straps and refuse ot give up.. and use your hand rail thing

And you know what the big ugly mirros are for ( That I actually cut off)

Last edited:

roundhouse

i still have a 89 883 sportster i bought new. does not run right now and it was not good at anything really. slow, handled like a brick taped to a rollerskate. harley guys laughed at it.

then go a yamaha radian and it was better. was without a bike for many years then bought an 08 R6. it was not comfortable at all and was a chore to ride for me.

FZ6R to the rescue.................

so to answer the question yeah i started with cruisers if a sportster and a radian are.......

Lefty

I had a Shadow Psirit 750. I wouldnt look back! I have a bad back and the arching caused by a cruiser position was hell...I love the seating position of an upright sportbike.

Maneuvering is much easier and riding is more enjoyable.
Same here. I had a 1988 Honda Shadow 800 with a 4 speed tranny. The thing was slow as molasses, but looked awesome with the drag handle bars and the old school flame paint job. But I tried my friend's Suzuki Bandit 600 and loved it especially over 7000rpms, lol. So I went and bought an FZ6R last July and I haven't rode my cruiser since (yes, it's still in the garage for sale).

Cheers.

2wheelie

Interesting topic. I had cruisers and ss bikes before but this one beats all previous ones in almost all of the categories. This bike you can use just for any purpose you want. It can be a commuter, street fighter, fun in the twisties and if you put a trunk and side bags, you'll have long distance sport/tourer. I even taking it off-road (gravel, fire trails).
No problem pulling with passenger and other loads. Passenger seat can be tough on a long stretches, but I ordered a gel seat pad hope it'll solve the problem.
The only thing for me is another 15-20 hp's would give more boost on highways, but you can get away with what it is. Last year I even bought an 07 FZ6 thinking to replace 6R, but hated the bike and sold it in 2 months.
I also have 05 Ninja ZX6RR, but keeping it only for some short rides with my sport-bike friends.
I bought the 6R in March of 2010 and have 18+ k miles on it.
The only upgrade I can think of is maybe to FZ1, but then why do I need that much power...

RACreative

Cruiser pitched me... so I pitched it!

Had an '05 Vulcan... had to lock up the brakes one morning to avoid hitting a Harley.. who's rider had mis-shifted into neutral. The single front disc brake locked & pulled the bars to left which through me off the bike and into the next lane under the tire of a van... fortunately the van driver was paying attention and swerved to miss my head. Anyway long story short, realized I needed something more high tech. Love the FZ6R quick stops are no problem anymore.

RandiZ

Move to NY

I started riding seriously while living in Florida. The flat landscape and wide open highways were perfect for cruisers. I had a Vulcan 800. Then through a twist of bad luck/poor personal management, went to a Vulcan 500. When I moved to NY, I loved the maneuverability of the 500, but the power was weak. After doing research, I felt that NY twisties and city traffic led me to the FZ6R. I do not at all regret the move and love the bike. However, if I could, I'd have a bagger in the garage for long open road rides. But, I would not have a cruiser as my only bike again, unless of course I move back to Florida.

Jay S.

Started on a Honda CM400, then had a Shadow VTX800 for 30k miles, then got a brand new Vulcan 900 Classic LT which I loved, until I rode my first sportbike and quickly sold my Vulcan with only 10k miles and started comparing sportbikes, not to be confused with supersport bikes. I looked at a Suzuki GSX650F, Ninja 650R and the FZ6R. After riding all 3 I liked the 6R the most. I have 5k miles on it and I can say with certainty that I will never go back to a cruiser. If anything, in 3 or 4 years I will look at a Suzuki GSX1250FA or a Ninja 1000.

I absolutely love my Fizzer. Just saying'...

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See red

Been on pretty much all styles, with the exeptoin of a moto-guzzi. I think any one who has ridden long enough understands that each bike ridden the way it was meant, and used to it's strong points will be a grin and make miles seem likeblocks.

I understand people try to compare light weight cruisers to same size sport bikes. However, apples and oranges.

I think your geographic location makes a difference. Midwesterners... long straight roads, a couple of curves, but nothing exciting. So a cruiser makes more sense... look at the "chicken stripes" on my bike. Nothing but straights...

bobski

Some great and very interesting perspectives showing up in this thread . . Fun to see.