Who has downsized to a FZ6R?

anson650

Ok I've been reading posts and contributing when I can add something, but my nagging question is, will I be happy downsizing from a FJ1200 to a FZ6R? I'm an older rider. I've been riding a long time. I have four bikes, two little XS650s, a XVZ1200, and a FJ1200. I have to keep the '83 xvz1200 for two up rides with my wife. I'm looking to sell the FJ, it's 575 pounds, 100 pounds too much, and I don't ride that fast anymore. Heck I ride so slow I get over 50 mpg all the time, well most of the time. Also sell one of the 650's and buy a middle weight to replace the two bikes, which are my everyday bikes, my go to bikes. I like the 2010 Black FZ6R. So my question, who among us has made a similar downsizing? And are you happy? What might be your advise?
Thanks for your input and insight,
No I don't like the FZ8,
and yes I am nuts,
Anson650

24KMACH

I say go for it. I'm 67 and the FZ6R fits my needs. If I feel the need for speed my slower reactions are just right on with this bike. Anything faster I would make a grease spot of myself. :Sport:

Last edited:

Deanohh

I'm 64 and none of us is going to live forever... get what you want. Last year I got rid of 3 harleys. Now I have a fz6r. It's a fun bike.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Midnightroadie04

Elite Member

Chucker

If you have another big bike for your 2up riding, then I think the FZ6R will suit you fine. I honestly believe you only need more than this if you're going to be riding 2up a lot or you plan on kneedraggin' regularly. It sounds like, with the way you ride now, it'll be a lot better than the FJ1200 for fun because of it's size and linear powerband.

AFDavis11

To me it was all about comfort. Bike weight and power are things beginners worry about, not us pros.

I've been riding for 35 years and I say if you can't have fun on an FZ6R you're doing it wrong.

I came down from a Goldwing, so guess what I missed first? Power: the FZ6R feels like a kids moped to me, Luggage Capacity: I put hard bags on it, and Wind protection: I added a better windscreen.

Now, the FZ6R has great riding characteristics for me. Touring, wind protection and yes, I even learned to twist the trottle a little more to get the power I wanted, when I wanted it.

I still want to buy a Honda Fury next year because if I have to go another year with my ankles twisted and my leg bent behind my hips I'm going to puke, but, overall the FZ6R is a really nice, super fun bike.

Now, all I have to do is figure out what this "chain lube" thing everybody keeps talking about is.

CDN6R

I too am a older rider (54). My last bike was an ex super bike racer ,a 91 GSXR 750. But that was 15 year ago. When I got back into motorcycling I was afraid that I would have to settle for a cruiser. The 600 cc sport bikes that I sat on were either to high or I thought they had way to much power and the riding position was to intence. I like the 6R because,,,its is comphy to ride,,,gets really great mileage,,, handles well,,, and has enough "balls" to go fast if I want to. I do not think you will be dissapointed.

ChUcK

I sized down from a Mean Streak 1500 to the fz6r, and can't believe it took me this long to do so.

Only you know exactly what you are looking for, though.

SAFE-T

I only rode an FJ1200 once, but I don't recall it actually being that fast. I'm sure you will find the much newer FZ6R more than spirited enough for you in comparison, but it will never have the roll-on performance the FJ was known for.