Which Jackt to puchase? Help!

Chuck12

I need help in choosing a jacket. I heard that leather is soo much better for protection. At first I was thinking of a Hi-Vis Oylmpia MotorQuest jacket for comfort, Hi-Ves and just a all around good jacket. I am 58 and ride in far weather only. No heavy rain or real rain at all, no 30 degree weather. Just trying to play is safe for now. Mostly far weather only.

But,:confused: on craigslist I found a Dainese leather jacket for sale. The guy says he paid $900.00 a couple of years ago and now want $300. I can not find this jacket to compare on any web sites to see if it is a good buy or not. He does have a picture of it on craigslist and is wanting me to come and just look at it. https://salem.craigslist.org/mcy/4765743381.html

Being a newbe I just don't want to be taken. The jacket is listed in Salem, Oregon on craigslist. Please give me your advice on this jacket or possibly purchasing something like a Oylmpia Hi-Vis jacket.

Bert-Aus

Looks like a deal, try it on if that is what your looking for.

Just make sure it is a good fit, on the snug side of things with leather is best, as you want it to flap in the wind or have the armour shift in the event of a fall.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Chuck12

I need help in choosing a jacket. I heard that leather is soo much better for protection. At first I was thinking of a Hi-Vis Oylmpia MotorQuest jacket for comfort, Hi-Ves and just a all around good jacket. I am 58 and ride in far weather only. No heavy rain or real rain at all, no 30 degree weather. Just trying to play is safe for now. Mostly far weather only.

But, on craigslist I found a Dainese leather jacket for sale. The guy says he paid $900.00 a couple of years ago and now want $300. I can not find this jacket to compare on any web sites to see if it is a good buy or not. He does have a picture of it on craigslist and is wanting me to come and just look at it. https://salem.craigslist.org/mcy/4765743381.html

Being a new-be I just don't want to be taken. The jacket is listed in Salem, Oregon on craigslist. Please give me your advice on this jacket or possibly purchasing something like a Oylmpia Hi-Vis jacket. :confused:

Qrider682

But, on craigslist I found a Dainese leather jacket for sale. The guy says he paid $900.00 a couple of years ago and now want $300. I can not find this jacket to compare on any web sites to see if it is a good buy or not. He does have a picture of it on craigslist and is wanting me to come and just look at it. https://salem.craigslist.org/mcy/4765743381.html

Being a new-be I just don't want to be taken. The jacket is listed in Salem, Oregon on craigslist. Please give me your advice on this jacket or possibly purchasing something like a Oylmpia Hi-Vis jacket. :confused:

No idea what model that is. Looks pretty old to me. Revzilla is having a black friday/cyber monday deal currently. It's 15% off most Dainese product. $300 is not cheap. You can get new for $425 like this.
Dainese Razon Perforated Leather Jacket - RevZilla

$390
Dainese Airfast Perforated Leather Jacket - RevZilla

JBAX

I'd pass on the used jacket. Like Qrider says, revzilla has deals close to that for brand new.

Chuck12

Which type of jacket you prefure?

Thanks the the info so far.

Of all the different types of jackets and materials, which type is the preferred for safety and or comfort? So far I heard that leather is the best for protection, but the down side is that leather is hot in the summertime and is not waterproof. Can someone get the best of both worlds with purchasing a jacket or gear like a Hi-Vis Oylmpia MotorQuest jacket? Some say not to over look pants also.

Last edited:

latony007

Thanks the the info so far.

Of all the different types of jackets and materials, which type is the preferred for safety and or comfort? So far I heard that leather is the best for protection, but the down side is that leather is hot in the summertime and is not waterproof. Can someone get the best of both worlds with purchasing a jacket or gear like a Hi-Vis Oylmpia MotorQuest jacket? Some say not to over look pants also.
Id agree with everyone on not buying used clothing or helmets. I also do not think you have to spend 3 or 4 hundred on a name brand to be safe. You can't go wrong with leather and it will block most rain. I have a pretty thick leather from leatherup i wear in the winter and a mesh i wear in the summer. You can also get leather mesh as well. You can get the Joe Rocket fully armored mesh for like $120 and thats a nice jacket. My Vega mesh was on sale for 70 and i think its great. comfy and has all the armor as well. just my 2 cents.

Runragged2

Match to your local wweaher

Hi
i have been riding for over 30 years, here is my experience.
1, Leather if well made and looked after affords great skid protection, needs well fitting armour to protect the back and joints. Soaks the rain like a sponge and in UK weather can take two days to dry. Treat with a suitable protective substance, what you use depends upon the way the leahter was teated during manufacture, so check with the supplier. i use a Bees wax product aploed with a wet sponge.
This needs re doing every month or so, I use the same for by leather boots.
Current boots are BMW branded, oddly these were cheaper than other brands.

2, textile, make sure you get a well made one, chack the fit and stitching. These are usually made in India and folded during shipping which compromises the water proffing. Get a well make one with armour and wans and proof with the appropriate stuff before use and often to maintain water proof.
Usually lighter than leather and better in warmer weather.

We don't ger hot weather here, so I have no experiencei of mesh.

As it tends to rain quite often here in the UK, I wear the textile jacket most days.

I tend to wear something reflective as an outer layer, so the textile jacket I have has hi viz panels.

David from the sunny (sometimes) UK

heavenhated

Depends on the climate overall in the year. I live in Jersey and went with something like a Revit Defender GTX which has three layers. I am not even thinking of adding a heated jacket at this point considering that even at 40 last week i didnt need to add the Goretex or the thermal layer yet.

Unless you are planning to take it to track, look out for a jacket that will serve well with around the year protection and comfort.

If its year around with potential rides in rain,look for a dual layer jackets.

If its fair weather and mostly sunny you can look at those jackets with protection and a mixture of mesh material built into the jacket.

Try not to get used jacket unless it is still with the tags and in package. I hate to wear an used jacket or helmet or gloves. Used bike ok :)

There are lots of options available in Revzilla, finalize the jacket and search for good price. There are different showrooms that offer different discounts.

Revzill on offer had the revit defender for 399 and i got it from bobsbmw new in box for 349. So search the web for the right place to buy and you get nice deals even in Ebay.(Picked up matching revit pants GTX for 300 which is no longer available anywhere after defender pro came out).

I basically got a high end jacket and pants for less than the cost of the jacket in its newest form/version.

I dont ride tracks and for me the jacket is a great utility than simply protection. So i prefer the multilayer GTX ones.