Which back / chest protector

jgelack

I was wondering if someone could recommend a good back and chest protector. I'm looking at a Dainese Mantis or Shield insert for my jacket, a Forcefield Pro Sub 4 when I want a little more protection, and a Dainese L2 chest protector, since it's the only one I can find with a CE level 2 rating. I've also heard a lot of good things about Impact Safe-T armor. Does anyone know how it compares to Dainese or Forcefield ? I'm just looking for the most protective armor I can get, I appreciate any suggestions you guys can give me. Thanks

Brent27

I was wondering if someone could recommend a good back and chest protector. I'm looking at a Dainese Mantis or Shield insert for my jacket, a Forcefield Pro Sub 4 when I want a little more protection, and a Dainese L2 chest protector, since it's the only one I can find with a CE level 2 rating. I've also heard a lot of good things about Impact Safe-T armor. Does anyone know how it compares to Dainese or Forcefield ? I'm just looking for the most protective armor I can get, I appreciate any suggestions you guys can give me. Thanks
I have the Forcefield back protector insert for my jacket so I can give you an idea on my experiences on that which may/may not help.

I ordered a CE 2 rated Forcefield back insert for my Alpinestars jacket. The jacket only had foam so I wanted to up the protection. The Forcefield armor seems like it can take a hit and is well made. It has perforations all through it so I don't get a sweaty back. When I commute to work I usually wear a dress shirt + a sweater vest and don't get sweaty. Keep in mind it's a mesh jacket but I wear it even in the cold - on top of the work attire I have a wind insert and hoodie on. Your mileage may vary based on jacket, how easy you sweat, etc.

The biggest con is that it's very heavy. Probably weighs more than my jacket + shoulder & elbow armor combined. I don't notice it much riding the bike now. It was pretty noticeable the first few weeks because it does take quite a few rides for it to begin to conform to your back. After that it's comfortable. Also, it's pretty smelly for the first two weeks. I've seen complaints on reviews for that - the smell does go away so I think the reviewers didn't give it enough time. It's just a weird synthetic smell from whatever material it's made from.

The weight is much more than the Forcefield CE 1 armor. I ordered the level 1 armor in the wrong size on accident so I have a comparison. I decided to upgrade when I returned it since the level 2 armor was only $10 more.

Can't say how the protection is in practice - I haven't crashed in it and hope I never find out.

RoadTrip

The Mantis heavy and bulky, but very comfortable, but it bulges out on non-race humped jackets. The Forcefield lite insert is great, very slim and works well in non-humped leather jackets that are already tight. I wear the A-stars chest inserts in my mesh jackets only since all the leather ones are too tight, and they don't look bulky in the mesh jackets. I am afraid even if I were to get the Dainese insert into my leather jacket I would look huge on top, yes I do care how I look. The pro-sub4 is a HUGE slab of foam, that hangs onto heat, and you have to size up the jacket to get it under most leather jackets. I also don't like the waist straps and when you take the jacket off you have to explain to goofy-eyed pedestrians why you have an ironing board strapped to your back.

Safety first, but comfort and looks are important too.

jgelack

Thanks for your input. I'm going to check out the Forcefield protectors as they do seem highly regarded. I always thought soft armor would be more comfortable, but for protection hard armor was the way to go. But I'm starting to rethink this. I will also check out Impact armor, which is also a soft armor custom made for you at what I feel is a reasonable price. I've heard a lot of the pros are wearing it, and if it's good enough for them, it good enough for me. Again, thanks for your advice.