Where to get +1 front sprocket in the UK

geko

I want to put a +1 front sprocket on my XJ6 but I've not been able to find anyone supplying them. I've searched on Google, eBay etc for a source and can't find anything.

Does anyone know where I can get a +1 sprocket or if a part for a different bike would fit?

Thanks

Last edited:

geko

Okay so I found a -3 rear sprocket which gives about the same change in ratio.

+1F 17/46 = 0.369
-3R 16/43 = 0.372

Is there any reason why changing the front sprocket is preferred to changing the rear or should I just go with the -3 rear ?

pilninggas

Okay so I found a -3 rear sprocket which gives about the same change in ratio.

+1F 17/46 = 0.369
-3R 16/43 = 0.372

Is there any reason why changing the front sprocket is preferred to changing the rear or should I just go with the -3 rear ?
Wemoto.co.uk would surely have a +1 [virtually all 600cc+ yams use the same spline size] front sprocket.

The reason changing front is 'preferred' is that +1 is going to shorten the chain run up a wee bit, but -3 at the back is going to extend the chain runa lot more (maybe taking the adjusters to their limits in the worst case).

Other factors may be: A bigger front sprocket provides a slightly less tight change of direction for the chain leading to less wear and potentially no need to remove the rear wheel to do the job.

I put a 17T on my first XJ6, it is a tight fit as their is a 'guide' that the chain will run against but it is not big deal.

HTH

Merv

Last edited:

geko

Wemoto.co.uk would surely have a +1 [virtually all 600cc+ yams use the same spline size] front sprocket.

The reason changing front is 'preferred' is that +1 is going to shorten the chain run up a wee bit, but -3 at the back is going to extend the chain runa lot more (maybe taking the adjusters to their limits in the worst case).

Other factors may be: A bigger front sprocket provides a slightly less tight change of direction for the chain leading to less wear and potentially no need to remove the rear wheel to do the job.

I put a 17T on my first XJ6, it is a tight fit as their is a 'guide' that the chain will run against but it is not big deal.

HTH

Merv
Cheers for the info - I found Wemoto site but they only list standard front for the XJ6 on the website, different sizes for the rear.

Did wonder if I could just order one for a different bike, they list +1 for R6. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Since you mention you've done this yourself, do I need to get a new nut for the output shaft or did you reuse the original?

Pete