When locking up rear wheel, I get clunking and skid to the right slightly

cyberal

Hi everyone,

Today, while riding back from work, I had to do a hard brake on a stop sign and I locked up the rear wheel briefly. Almost immediately after the rear wheel locked up, I noticed a clunking sound coming from the back and left of the bike. This seemed odd, so while I kept riding home, in moments where it was safe (another stop sign or red traffic light, no car behind me), I'd use the rear brake exclusively, locking the wheel on purpose. The same clunking sound would happen. I don't need to be going real fast for this to happen, just enough to lock the wheel and skid one or two feet. In that distance, I hear a quick "tac-tac-tac" sound, where each "tac" resembles the sound of when you pull the kickstand up, or when you try to shift down to 1st while still going fast and the gears won't match. Maybe I should mention that during the whole tim, I have the clutch lever completely squeezed. Along with the clunking, I also notice that the rear wheel skids right, even if I'm going perfectly straight.

During my tests, I also noticed that this is more likely to happen if I'm braking while on 1st, but not in 2nd gear. In second gear, i found it harder to lock wheel and if I do, the rear won't skid to the right. Instead of 3 "tacs", I only hear one and it's much less evident.

Got any idea of what could be going on here?

Thanks!

cyberal

Yeah, that's what I read in some other forums, but I'm still not sure if the skidding to the right is normal. Perhaps i'm not going as straight as i thought.

06330i

From my knowledge. most roads have a grade that goes like this ^ (not so extreme obviously) so that water drains to the edge. So more than likely thats why its going to pull to the right.

cyberal

And precisely because of that grade is that I tried repeating my little experiment in a parking garage that I know for sure doesn't have that shape (it has a slight incline downwards from the perspective of my motorcycle).

Anyway, maybe I'm just overthinking things. Thanks a lot!

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member
Last edited:

Bert-Aus

IMO -it would be a mixture of road camber (cross grade) and your muscle memory -everyone has a preferred leg for strength and your riding memory responds to this by attempting to get the preffered side down first.

If you want to test for it whilst not on the bike, stand with your feet together, relax and fall forward whichever foot saves your fall without forcing is your preffered side

cloudfire

The slide to the right is a just physics. You're riding a two wheel vehicle. You're pushing hard enough on the rear brake with your right foot to lock it up. If you stand on the just the right peg without counterweight, what's gonna happen to the bike? It will fall to the right. So, probably without realizing it, you are counter-balancing the bike when you hit the rear brake and leaning the bike slightly to the left, which will cause the rear tire to slide right. If you're in second gear, you're usually going fast enough that the gryoscopic effect of the wheels and engine make counterbalancing less necessary.

Last edited: