What would you do??

cbzdel

This is about employment..

I hate my job, yet its so simple. Its so repetitive and I get board doing the same thing every day. I engineer houses, and in today market almost ever house being built is the same as what we refer to as "cookie cutter homes"

The plus side, its so easy! And the contract my boss hired me with says I cant get laid off unless I have less than 20 hours a work a week. Which I work 20-24 hours a week, because its so slow due to the economy. Even better yet, i am on salary so I get paid full time to work part time..

Also I am so underpaid, others in the same job make an easy 10k-20k per year than I do but their jobs are much harder and less repetitive, working on large scale commercial projects just are high-rises and warehouses.. Projects that take weeks to finish rather than hours..

I like this working part time thing and still have a full paycheck, yet I HATE my job..

What would you do in my position?? Looks for something that pays better but work 5x as hard, plus work full time rather than part time, or enjoy the sweet life and work part time and make make a reasonable amount of money..

People say I have the sweet life working part time and still getting a decent check but its not the sweet if you hate what you do... Is it???

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

joloy133

I've been there. Am currently retired, but have felt what you're going through. There is no answer other than what you eventually feel is right for you. There may be a lot of opinions coming your way with well intentioned and valuable insights but who really knows you? Are you a risk taker, (career wise of course), do you have a family and lifestyle ambitions? Are you personally better not being bored? Can you do something similar but as an independent concurrently so you can move into a situation using your expertise? Have faith and work/think it through as this could be an exciting new chapter in life. Good Luck!

bsoder

Sometimes a job can be just a job. It's not permanent and as long as it pays the bills why not stick with it for a while. It's not like you have to retire from there.

I understand where you're coming from. I'm a CPA and this time of year it's so dead in the office you can almost hear crickets. I can't say I particularly like what I do or where I do it but it pays the bills and lets me have an enjoyable life outside of work.

Tijeras505

The right job for anyone is hard to find. Some people jump from job to job and never find it. Most people are not all that happy with at least something related to their job.

It seems that there are some things that you do like about your current job. That's great! Also, there are other things that you don't like. Can you change the way you think about those negatives? Is there something you or your boss can do to minimize them?

You have to weigh the pros and cons of going to another job. It could be better or it could be a nightmare. You never know what a job is really like until you get there. During the interview process they are certainly not going to tell you about all the problems the company is having or personality issues that have been ongoing for years. They need to fill a position and they are going to tell you what you want to hear to get you there.

The old saying, "one in the hand, is worth two in the bush" applies. You know what you have now and the grass is looking greener on the other side - but is it really? There are many people that make job moves only to regret it later or not so later...

I suggest you make a list on your computer or on paper with the following columns: What I like about my job (what works for you?), What I don't like about my job (what doesn't work for you?) and What would I like to have in a new job (what is your dream job?) and see where your current job stands. You may be surprised. You can also use this list to evaluate any new jobs your interested in.

Be sure to include pay, benefits, office environment (would you mind sitting at a 20 year old desk and crappy chair in a basement?), type of boss (how they treat you, how they communicate with you, how do they deal with problems/stress), how far from home are you willing to travel or relocate, the type of people you would like to work with, dress code, required overtime/weekends/travel, advancement opportunities, company stability/growth, and anything else that is of interest to you.

This does take some time but changing jobs is serious. Most people don't give too much thought to these things but it can make a world of difference in finding the job that would work best for you. You may even find your current job is that one!

xplodnstar

I'm right there with you, cbzdel. I am bored and underpaid, BUT at least I have a job.

Try adding in something else during your other hours. Or network with others in your industry doing something similar, but more rewarding.

fz6rwolf

I was in that situation. After retiring from the Navy I stayed in LE and was bored and tried Security (at Electric Boat where submarines are built) and they paid well but I was SOOOOO bored. I went to school and for 2 years it was rough but now I'm in a field I enjoy.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Talk to the boss in a positive-only light and explain your ambition to be challenged at the next level and ask about any upcoming possibility of being promoted. Offer to move up on a trial period and be reviewed in 3 or 6 months for the salary increase after you've proven yourself. I'm thinking that a show of ambition and drive might win you the raise and the challenge. :D

gizmogirl

They say that quality of life is what makes you happy. Unfortunately we often find outselves in the position where we need to make the money to keep up our lifestyle. If you can afford to change jobs to something you like, and make the money to keep the bike on the road :p ...then you have it made.