What kind of lock do you use? Do you park on street?

What bike security do you use? Choose all that apply.

• Key lock only

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Disc lock

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Chain

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Cable

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Alarm

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • LoJack/recovery device

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

darkLeo

Hi new here and have new '12 FZ6R, I live in DC and have to park on the street during the day at work downtown, and at night outside my apartment. I have had bicycles stolen from back yard here so I figure everything is fair game.

I wonder two things:

1) what kind of lock do you use? I am thinking of just disc lock because I don't really have anything to chain it to, tho I know they can just pick it up that way but it's pretty heavy.

2) If you park on the street do cars hit your bike/knock it over (god forbid!!)? I have a black cover on it and worry they won't see it. I try to tuck it right next to my car.

Thank you in advance.

James

rx9790

I have a heavy cable I leave at work combined with a Gorilla alarm. I am behind a 10 foot gated fence but since I work in the Southpark area of Houston I dont think it overkill. Stays in garage at home.

GHOSTWITTHEMOST

When I lived at my apartment before I had a garage I would actually lock it to the wheel of my car at night. Other then that just the key lock. If someone plans on stealing it they WILL. Mother f******

applejax

When I lived at my apartment before I had a garage I would actually lock it to the wheel of my car at night. Other then that just the key lock. If someone plans on stealing it they WILL. Mother f******
100% true. If someone wants it, they will figure out a way.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

6R Blackout

My bike stays outside under my carport, but even if they wanted it they would have to get it past an SUV on one side and my full size pickup on the other and then in between brick posts. Now for the locks, I use the steering lock, and also use a lock that uses the holes in the disc brake, it's called Kryptonite and it is very very well made. You could not use any kind of bolt cutter to get it off, it would take a grinder and a couple of cutoff wheels. By that time someone would notice something going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

6R Blackout

Oh and one more thing if you get a lock such as the Kryptonite lock, just remember to take it off before you start up and go, cause if you don't; let's just say the outcome is not to good!

richierich781

Oh and one more thing if you get a lock such as the Kryptonite lock, just remember to take it off before you start up and go, cause if you don't; let's just say the outcome is not to good!

I've seen someone do that, not good!

Buy one of those brightly color tether that you attach to the handle bar or under the back seat where u attach the helmet cable. If you are going to use a disc brack lock, use it on the rear disc instead of the front, it is a lot harder to remove a rear tire than the front tire, just use the steering lock on the front.

Try getting a Xena with the alarm. the noise it makes can be a deterent.

See red

LMAO! My bike sits out in a 10x10 shed that is not locked, and the key is in it. F-it take it...... If you try to lock it down people will think it has some value and then want to know what else you have. Screw that... take the dam bike you will anyways if you want it.

MustGoFaster

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

MustGoFaster

If you read far enough, the ex-thief says he personally uses a Xena disc lock alarm. If you're really paranoid you can also use a Kryptonite chain. Between those two, a thief will move on to easier prey. Unless you've got a bike that someone has specifically asked him to steal, most thieves are looking for a quick and easy mark.

It's the same reason I have a locking gas door on my truck. It'd be easy enough to pry open, but I figure someone looking to siphon gas will go try someone else's tank rather than hassle with mine.

It's about making things inconvenient for thieves; not impossible to steal.
Indeed. Theft is often an act of convenience, if nothing else. I spent about an hour pouring over it and gleening what I could. Really crazy stuff. Thanks for the point out, though. :thumbup: