what is the best way to make it louder?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

latony007

i think the only time loud pipes could actually help is when lane splitting, there are times i can hear a bike coming splitting lanes. However i dont ever change lanes without looking for bikes/cars so all the pipes really do is annoy me. i could see it helping with idiot drivers though. Since 49 states dont allow lane splitting overall i dont think it helps. But as was stated you could argue it all day but in the end its just opinion.

Chucker

I can definitively say that riding defensively and anticipating that other drivers will make bonehead moves that could put your life at risk does save lives. I can say that because I have lived it for over 30 years.

I cannot say, nor can anyone else, that loud pipes save lives or that they don't. I can say, however, that I have seen many loud bikes in accidents, and quite probably more loud bikes than quiet bikes. Those accidents were usually due to the rider not paying attention, not anticipating what was going to happen, or just riding like an idiot. I have seen a few where the bike was rear ended while stopped, and I'm pretty sure the pipes played no part in those.

My point is this, don't give a new rider advice like, "Loud pipes save lives, so get loud pipes." That could leave the new rider with the belief that other drivers will always hear him/her and will not pull out in front or cut him/her off. Having this belief could lead to poor defensive driving and a lack of anticipating that cars will pull out or cut off a smaller, less visible vehicle.

Better advice would be, don't ride like an idiot and expect that other drivers are going to drive like idiots. It has worked for me countless times.

MikeH

I can definitively say that riding defensively and anticipating that other drivers will make bonehead moves that could put your life at risk does save lives. I can say that because I have lived it for over 30 years.

I cannot say, nor can anyone else, that loud pipes save lives or that they don't. I can say, however, that I have seen many loud bikes in accidents, and quite probably more loud bikes than quiet bikes. Those accidents were usually due to the rider not paying attention, not anticipating what was going to happen, or just riding like an idiot. I have seen a few where the bike was rear ended while stopped, and I'm pretty sure the pipes played no part in those.

My point is this, don't give a new rider advice like, "Loud pipes save lives, so get loud pipes." That could leave the new rider with the belief that other drivers will always hear him/her and will not pull out in front or cut him/her off. Having this belief could lead to poor defensive driving and a lack of anticipating that cars will pull out or cut off a smaller, less visible vehicle.

Better advice would be, don't ride like an idiot and expect that other drivers are going to drive like idiots. It has worked for me countless times.
I never said that you can ride like an idiot just because you have loud pipes. LOL! You should still ride the same. I also didn't say that that just because you have loud pipes you wont get rear ended while stopped. Again, LOL! Just stating that in my opinion loud pipes get noticed more then the stock one that comes with our bike. Like I said before one more safety feature that could help you prevent an accident. Not saying it will but could. :) Plus it sounds good. :D

buzzbomb

Elite Member

DiHydro

Not for $300+

R6 header might run you $30. Bend the pipe down a little so it clears the oil pan and add muffler. If you're gonna spend that much, might as well get a Marthy kit
Yes it's more expensive than getting any old R6 header and bending it, but I did get the Marty DIY kit (mind you, the DIY kit is the same price as the MJS header) and it was terrible quality compared to the MJS. Also, like I said, it bolts right up so no modding required, unlike an R6 header or Marthy DIY kit.