what is normal operating temperature?

dekaliber

What temps do you see on your instrument readout under normal riding conditions?

Took it out last weekend for its first ride when it was in the 50s and I was seeing 180s when I was on the move and upwards of ~210 when I was stopped. Just wanted to make sure this is normal.

iSpoolin

180 is usually what mine stays at while moving in 50-70 degree weather, gets a little higher up in the 80's though, and 210 stopped is normal, but you must be stopping for a while? lol

Chucker

Does your fan kick in around 212 F? Mine kicks in at 100 C and the temp doesn't rise from there.

ChUcK

It seems to me that seeing the actual operating temp of the coolant causes more stress than it is worth. I was freaked out the first time I saw the gauge read 220 F and pulled to the side thinking I had overheated the engine.

On a high-performance race bike, sure. On the fz6r? Unnecessary. I'd take the good ol' overheat light over the actual temp reading any day. TMI.

Chucker

You have to remember that water boils at 212F/100C. The coolant in an engine is designed to significantly raise the boiling point. Therefore, it's safe to say that the engine is designed to run at or above the boiling point of water.

The benefit of a temperature gauge is that you can see if your engine starts running hotter than usual. Mine runs between 90-100C in the summer while I'm moving. If it starts to run at 110C, the engine is OK, but I know I've got a problem. With a light, you can't see the problem as it's arising. You see it once it arrives. However, lights are designed to come on when the engine is too hot, but has not yet been damaged.

Either way, you can stop before there's damage, but the gauge allows you to ride somewhere and fix the problem before you have to shut down the engine to protect it.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dekaliber

Cool, I figured it was normal, but I thought I'd check. I wasn't sure if this read the coolant temp or the oil temp. On my car with an oil temp gauge it's usually around 190, getting up to 210-220 on the track, so that's why I thought 200+ while idling seemed like it might be high.

ChUcK

Yep, the addition of solute (antifreeze) raises the boiling point some, but it really is the pressurized system that does the bulk of the work to keep the coolant from boiling. Impurities only change boiling/melting points by small amounts in comparison.

The reactor I used to babysit ran its coolant at around 500 F, with operating pressures of around 2000psi. Not pure water, but pretty damn close.

Chucker, my point is that the vast majority of riders (myself included) don't need to know the exact temp of their coolant at any given time. The engine overheat light has proven to be more than enough info to keep riders from hurting their bikes. That light came in on my Meanie once, which led me to diagnose and fix a burnt fan fuse. No sweat.

It is sorta fun to watch the temp, though. And I will say that it is a great way to see if the bike is warmed up enough to ride, but any rider worth their weight in Pringles can determine that without a digi readout. :thumbup: