What got you into bikes?

stormbringer

I was thinking the other day what made me like motorbikes.
None of my 3 sons are into bikes althought Matt my oldest (27) has just bought a ped to comute on and Al had an Aprilia ped when he was 16.

My Dad had a bike because no one his age had cars back then,his Dad was the first in his street to have a car.
Dad got into bikes ,more than just comuting .He had various bikes an Aerial 350 being one his favorites, his first new bike was a Triumph Tiger 100 which he sold to put a deposite down on his first flat.
My Uncle Harry had a Vincent Black Shadow,and dad and his mates Spent all there spare time(when not playing football) racing around the North circular and out to the Beehive or Spiders web cafes.
Mum had a Second World War flying suit and goggles she wore on the bikes.
I've found some great photos of Mum amd Dad back in the day with there bikes and mates.
They toured all over including Lyton and Lynmouth during the floods.
My Cousin and his Kids are all into bikes and trails.
I think sitting on my Dads Velocette(at the age of three) with My Uncle Dan who was on a visit from Dublin was my start to biking.
This photo was taken by Dad outside our first house 5 Ranock Avenue Kingsbury(which was a nice quite suburb of London at the time 1956).
So What got you into bikes.?

Last edited:

CDN6R

What a great pic! I bet that you will cherish this one. HHHMM lets see now,,as a kid i always liked mechanical things,,cars,trains etc. I used to as a young boy look through "Life",,, "Time" magazine or what ever I could find to see ads for the new cars that were coming out. At night time traveling with my sister/parents I could tell from the taillights (at a distance) what year/make/model car was in front of us. In 1969 we moved from British Columbia to a small town in Nova Scotia and there were Muscle Car ads in magazines,
on T.V. and in the street. GTO's, Super Bees,Chargers,Mustangs,Swinger's everywhere,oh how I love and still do love, Muscle Cars. In the fall of 69 we moved to the area where I am now and when I was in grade 8,, a older student at my school used to ride a motorcycle back and forth to school. I remember standing at my bus stop at 8:00 AM listening to the echo's of this bike coming up the river,,on a calm windless morning. Every gear shift,,up and down was a clear as a bell as the sound of that machine bounced along the calm water those mornings. It was the sound of magic to me be being a 13 year old young teen and in my minds eye I could visulize me riding that bike every morning I heard it. As the bike got closer I became more excited because I would get another glimse of those 3 pipes and the light blue exhaust emitting from them. Then like a flash the rider and bike were going by where I stood,,a quick wave by me and a little nod from the rider and he was gone. Like a ghost it disappeared around the next corner, and all I could hear was the wail getting quieter in the distance like a banchee running away. But as I stood there, my heart racing,,I took a deep breath and the odor that emitted from those 3 exhaust pipes lingered in the air and filled my lungs... and I thought,,someday I am going to get a motorcycle.

MC#4

My reasoning is kinda short and sweet. When I turned 16, I was got my permit and started driving. When the time came to get my license, I priced insurance for a 10 year old minivan. It was like $1200 a year, for minimum coverage. Then just to be a smartass I got a quote for a ZX-14 and it came in at under $400 a year for minimum. I was like WTF!!!

I actually started on my dad's pit bike, which was a 96 honda elite 80cc scooter. Insurance was $75 a year. about 6 months later I had saved up enough to get a ninja 250 and still enjoyed a super low premium + I had (in my opinion) the coolest ride at my small town high school:cool:

The moral of the story is Insurance companies are evil but with a little effort they can be avoided...almost.

Tmak73

My friend got me into them and his passion for them started mine.

iSpoolin

I laid eyes on one!

cavcuz05

Honestly GAS PRICES at first then just the freedom on the road

DragonBlu

At fourteen I got into riding because I had a need for speed. The bicycle being towed by a car or going down the steepest hill I could find just wasn't doing it for me anymore. The thought of a motorbike was a thrill I just had to have. Forty five years later I still feel the thrill when I fire up and climb on a bike.:wav:

chewmieser

Actually, my mom got me into it. I had considered riding quite a few times, but never acted on it and put it off. She decided that she wanted a Harley and (when she bought it) they paid for MSF courses for her, my dad, me and my sister.

Definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made. Put 650 miles on the bike within a week of owning it and loved every minute of it.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

cjsFZ6R

Being Army for 8 years it was the "cool" thing to do, all the guys in my unit had one and my ex rode and so I got in to it... Then i was always deployed and when I got back and moved up to DC from TX i ended up getting married and having kids so last year I hit like this really early mid-life crisis (i'm 28 lol) and decided to get back in to it so I got an R6 and then in june I got my fz6r ad now i'm just enjoying the feeling i used to have back before kids and all the adult things in life now ;)

My dad and brother both have Harleys. Dad has 01 Heritage Softtail and 03 Fatboy, bro has Sportster. That made me want a Harley (which I still do). My roommate has a '00 GSXR1000, which he has customized quite a bit. All of this factored in to me just loving motorcycles. So, the FZ6R is my first. One day I will be getting me a Harley, but keep the FZ6R for the wife or son. And I will also be getting a supersport (haven't figured out what yet).

But until then, I will continue to love the heck outta the 6R.

CrazyCawi

I wanted one ever since I was 15. I watched people on bikes every summer and thought of how amazing it must feel. So even though I witnessed two brutal motorcycle accidents growing up I still wanted one. My mother told me if I got one I was man enough to move out. I brought home my first bike last year. 1981 seca 750 :) I had already moved out but she was still angry. She got over it but my fiance hated it for the longest time and now she is in love with bikes and just finished her MSF courses. I cant wait till we can ride together on seperate bikes! What an amazing feeling that will be!

stormbringer

Flying suit

This is the Mum in her ex RAF outfit ,it still had the wings on when they bought it.
The New Triumph Tiger 100 taken in 1950 the year befor they married.

speedracer51

All my life I was a off road dirt guy, sport quads 100%. I live in city area, you have to tow the quad to go riding. Ultimatly the cost just to ride killed me. I turned to the bike to get my thrills on and love it. Now it cost nothing to do a hobby and I ride it to run errands an go back and forth to work. And I save a ton in gas too, so its a win win.

ajskillz13

Moto GP...

I didn't have much interest in riding two years ago. My dad and uncles had gotten into it big time and went on some big trips, but it never really appealed to me. Then, I went to the Moto GP qualifying two years ago in Indy. Caught the bug and found myself researching all kinds of bikes trying to figure out what would work for me. That spell only lasted two weeks and I conceded that I'd never actually get one. Well, the same thing happened last year, and I still couldn't justify getting one. Then, while visiting my brother in law at our Yamaha dealer, my wife starts getting interested. She asked how much the FZ costs and when I responded, she says "well why don't we get one?". Floored me! Uh, okay! A few days later we made the deal and never looked back. Dove head first into riding and have loved every minute of trying to perfect my riding style

Skidro

My first mini-bike & Honda 50, watching "Then Came Bronson" and my dad riding me on his BSA.
All that started in the mid to late 1960's, and I've had at least one motorcycle ever since