What FZ6R Year Should I Buy?

Thumdar

Hey all ~ I've decided to buy a FZ6R and am now trying to learn what the differences are between the years 2012 and 2017.

Cost IS an issue and a used, low miles bike is ideal. Are there significant differences between the years? I watched a review of the 2016 and the reviewer loved the 2016 but said he hated the 2012. Happy to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited:
As far as I know (and I've been following this board for a long time), there have been no changes to the FZ6R since its debut in 2009. Someone more astute than I pointed out a slight change to the passenger grab handles but that's it!

I wouldn't even worry too much about the mileage as long as you can verify that it has been well maintained, these things are stupid reliable. Keep us posted, would like to know how you make out. I'm sure you'll enjoy this bike. Good luck! :D

Thumdar

Thank you! That's pretty much what I thought but figured I would ask the community. Thanks again!

BluePill

I have owned both the 2009 and the 2015. Except for the grab handle mentioned, no difference that I have noted except for color scheme. My 2015 engine is smoother than the 2009, but not by much. May be due to some Yamaha improvement, or just a bike-to-bike variation. I agree with Mike that whatever fits your budget and color preference is your best choice.

Tires can make or break the bike. I currently have Bridgestone S21 tires, and they are a great improvement over the Factory tires. (BT 021R)

MY Tire review:

Mediocre at best
These were factory supplied on my 2015 Yamaha FZ6R, and were a disappointment. Vague directional control, very uneven wear on the front make them a loser. On a previous FZ6R the Dunlop Roadsmart II tires were quite good, and I replaced several sets with good results. Because of a $50 Bridgestone rebate on the S-21 tires, I chose them this time and they are amazing. Don't wast your money on these BT021.

Last edited:
I have owned both the 2009 and the 2015. Except for the grab handle mentioned, no difference that I have noted except for color scheme. My 2015 engine is smoother than the 2009, but not by much. May be due to some Yamaha improvement, or just a bike-to-bike variation. I agree with Mike that whatever fits your budget and color preference is your best choice.
^^^Right on. I think the smoothness difference is most likely just a bike-to-bike variation. Perhaps the 2009 could have used a throttle body synchronization which I have found has an effect on smoothness, helps eliminate some of the buzz. Also I 2nd the info regarding the tires.

Welcome to the community! It has been kinda slow lately but you'll find this to be a very friendly and helpful place.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Thumdar

I definitely want white with panniers and a trunk. I'm thinking the 2012 is the year as it doesn't have the red bar, just the red shock. I'm also planning on removing the FZ6R decal ~ does that hurt resale?
20160301_120530_resized_1.jpg

Good call on panniers and a trunk! I turned mine into a totally decent little sport-touring rig :) Not sure about resale with removing the decal, I doubt it would have any significant effect. Good luck on your search!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member