What engine coolant does the FZ6R require?

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

6R Blackout

?????????????????

Which brings me to a question and no I haven't looked at the manuel heck I honestly forgot where I put it HAHAHA. Anyway when should you flush and change the coolant system on our bikes?:tard::Im With Stupid::don'tknow:

Heineken

Elite Member

owldaddy

The description Yamaha provides suggests any of the major fluids would be ok. I believe all of them will fill those requirements. The Newer, longer lasting coolants are supposed to be interchangeable with the old green stuff. If you change your coolant every other year, you shouldn't have a problem with any of them. Check the side of the jug, if it says it "Meets or exceeds manufacturer requirements" It should be good. I doubt there is a dimes worth of difference between the major brands and the stuff sold under Superstore brands. it all comes from the same plants.

Harda toenail

Any 50/50 coolant sold at commercial stores will be just fine. I know fz1 s are recommended 70water/30antifreeze, and anything less dilutednis fine. These are probable the same. Walmart supertek will work just fine.

herbie

The description Yamaha provides suggests any of the major fluids would be ok. I believe all of them will fill those requirements. The Newer, longer lasting coolants are supposed to be interchangeable with the old green stuff. If you change your coolant every other year, you shouldn't have a problem with any of them. Check the side of the jug, if it says it "Meets or exceeds manufacturer requirements" It should be good. I doubt there is a dimes worth of difference between the major brands and the stuff sold under Superstore brands. it all comes from the same plants.
use caution not to intermix glycol with some of the long life stuff and dont just rely on colors ive seen how some of the long life stuff turns to crystals in engines

MikeN02

Forgot about this thread. Changed my coolant 3 days ago actually, with Engine Ice. Let me tell you it was a disaster...

I was told to bump it, run it with the cap off then put the cap back on. I did, until it hit about 200 F then it started shooting!

Filled the rest with Distilled water and it runs fine. Have to say, the old coolant was nasty looking. Might be in my head but I'm running about 20 degrees cooler.

Harda toenail

Dump a little down the drain every day. The EPA hasn't said if antifreeze is hazerdous or not and as long as the water treatment company doesn't get overloaded with gallons at a time, they can take care of it. Not recommended if you have a septic tank as it may kill some of the bacteria that break down waste in your water.

My source on this is my microbiology teacher who has a phd in microbiology and used to work for the cape girardeau treatment plant. I'm confident in her

72racer

Elite Member
Last edited:

MikeN02

Dump a little down the drain every day. The EPA hasn't said if antifreeze is hazerdous or not and as long as the water treatment company doesn't get overloaded with gallons at a time, they can take care of it. Not recommended if you have a septic tank as it may kill some of the bacteria that break down waste in your water.

My source on this is my microbiology teacher who has a phd in microbiology and used to work for the cape girardeau treatment plant. I'm confident in her
This is what I heard as well. Otherwise I've also heard of people dumping the coolant in the oil and giving it to the autoparts place.

Deanohh

It is poisonous and will destroy the kidneys and kill any animal that drinks even a small amount of it so I don't see how it can be just poured down the drain.

Harda toenail

That was according to my professor in cape Girardeau. I'm sure there are better sources out there, but as long as you don't have a septic tank, all water that goes down your drain goes through a water treatment plant before it is released to the earth. If you have a storm drain or basement drain, I believe they don't get treated so don't pour the coolant in there and you should be alright. Or like Mike said, trick the auto place into taking care of it