What an All-Wheel Drive R1

Is this for real?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neyqXj-txFA&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Two wheel drive Yamaha R1[/ame]

reiobard

looks pretty real to me, pretty cool too, but i am not overly sure it is worth the effort on that bike...

S

stevesnj

I would say its useful for track use or constant slick conditions like in the pacific northwest or in the UK.

R

rsw81

Interesting, I wish they would have shown the left side of the bike so we can see how they got the gearing extended and another chain to the front wheel. Gotta be worried about clearance on that side for a good lean angle.

Yeah I would love to see the left side of the bike also. There has to be more info on this bike. The video just surprised me when I came across it.

Interesting, I wish they would have shown the left side of the bike so we can see how they got the gearing extended and another chain to the front wheel. Gotta be worried about clearance on that side for a good lean angle.
Come to think of it how can it be a chain in front. You wouldn't be able to steer it. I'm doing some serious research to find out more about this R1.

B

bigdog9191999

i didnt have any luck linking some of the pics from the site linked but there are some of both sides..

i know the concept has been around awhile but that has to be the most performance based version i have seen yet.. very cool, diffent but cool

R

rsw81

Interesting, I wonder how exactly that works and how much power they get to the wheel this way.

S

SovietRobot

I was reading on the ohlins site and it said 0-15% torque distribution to the front wheel, depending on throttle position and other factors.

The system has a bypass valve to prevent too much pressure in the event of total loss of traction to the rear wheel. Thus limiting available torque to the front.

This system could be the future of motorcycling.