What about a projector project

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I saw cbzdel's HID mod, and was wondering what it might take to retro-fit a hi/low projector for the headlight on the FZ6R? I really like the light output from the projector setups and would like to see it done on our bike.

What would it take to do this? Do you think it would fit? How do you think it would look?

Advice and opinions appreciated. I may start to plan this out and give it a try in the future.

cbzdel

I was really considering holding out for a mod like this but then got to thinking a projector is pretty small and our housing is pretty big, so I figured it would look really weird so I decided to just stick the HID in the stock housing. I need to try to get some pics, but the cutoff line is surprisingly VERY sharp for a HID in a reflector housing..

(anyone know the best way to take pics of headlights to show cutoff line and brightness??)

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Find a wall or a garage door to project it on. That's what I always use to aim my lights.

I know the housing is pretty big. I wonder if it's big enough to fit two small projectors in there, one over the other? I also contemplated what it might look like to have a single projector, but then fit a halo around it to fill up the space. But then I thought it might look odd as a cyclops. :don'tknow:

lilfuzz

Speaking of lights. Does any one think that an R6 Integrated tail light will fit. the projector sounds like a cool thing. Im all for mods after the exaust. Im getting into so much trouble with it!!

cbzdel

Speaking of lights. Does any one think that an R6 Integrated tail light will fit. the projector sounds like a cool thing. Im all for mods after the exaust. Im getting into so much trouble with it!!
doubt it, that is the next mod I want though, then I will not have any halogen bulbs on my bike :thumbup:

but lets try to keep this thread on topic, I want to see what others think about this projection retrofit.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
So I saw a GSX-R1000 yesterday at the Chase Bank and it got me re-interested in this project. Here are a few pictures of Suzuki's that have a single projector headlight. The only thing I guess I am waiting for is an available headlamp assembly to come along. I guess I should start scouring ebay and the like to see if anyone is parting out their FZ6R.

Basically, I think I should be able to follow the steps detailed by others that have done a projector setup, except I will be using a single projector for low/high beams.

Any thoughts, opinions or advice?

cbzdel

so maybe if you put in the projector and then add some "glow lights" to light up the rest of the housing....

Or even paint the housing to match your bike :thumbup:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
There might even be enough room to do two smaller projectors and stack them vertically. :don'tknow:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
What about these sketches? Do any of these appeal to people?

Here's kinda what it might look like with a halo-projector in there.

xplodnstar

What about these sketches? Do any of these appeal to people?

I see.... a turtle.... a clown with a big nose.... and a very scared alien. :rolleyes:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I see.... a turtle.... a clown with a big nose.... and a very scared alien. :rolleyes:
That's what I was thinking when I drew them up! :D They say "great minds think alike." :thumbup:

xplodnstar

That's what I was thinking when I drew them up! :D They say "great minds think alike." :thumbup:
You must be a GENIUS then. :cheer:

spacemonkey

what is the deffernece between a projector and regular lights?

MNDZA

Projector is the one with the crystal sphere looking thing that the light comes from. It looks cooler and directs the light in a more organized, straight beam. Projector FTW!!!

J

jtarkany

Depending on what k you purchase, you get a different color light, supposed to be more like natural daylight, the projector focuses the light, here is one with Angel Eyes

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Update

The projectors should be on their way! Stay tuned for progress updates. :D

vitrox

i'm interested to see what you end up with, this is a cool project. retrofitting it not for everyone.

i'll have to get shots of my headlights in action, they are blinding. just two 10watt leds.

pyrocpu

I would love to integrate some sort of compact projector HID setup... use an Infiniti FX35/45 bi-xenon to have hi/low beam capability. Would have to use a compact ballast though; OEM automotive ballasts are kinda big...