went past redline. any harm?

Fenixgoon

Hey guys I was out riding with a buddy today and briefly went past redline...12.5ish before shifting? Bike was already warm. Anything I should worry about or maintenance that needs to be done?

owldaddy

If it isn't making any strange sounds, and seems to be running fine it should be ok. Usually they go BOOM, when something bad happens at those RPM's.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MikeN02

Run... as fast as you can. The bike's going to explode.

Should be fine, I've hit the limiter on 2 bikes before and it just automatically goes back down. Thank god I have a shift light now.

Fenixgoon

we have a rev limiter... if you hit that.. then the bike kept you in check... if you didn't hit it... then you're ok... either way... no problems as others have said.
so the actual end of the tach (13k) is when the limiter kicks in, or did the bike just cut fuel at 11.5 and the tach kept going? :confused::confused:

herbie

Hey guys I was out riding with a buddy today and briefly went past redline...12.5ish before shifting? Bike was already warm. Anything I should worry about or maintenance that needs to be done?
no harm done limiter will keep it in check unless you held it there for five or ten mimutes no prob

CDN6R

so the actual end of the tach (13k) is when the limiter kicks in, or did the bike just cut fuel at 11.5 and the tach kept going? :confused::confused:
I do not know the answer to this, but I do know our 6R has a rev limiter. So I believe the OP wants to know is: at what RPM does the rev limiter cut in on? Also does it cut the fuel to the injectors or does it cut the spark to the plugs?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

PWJ

I've hit 13k once for a little bit of time. Was passing a fleet of cars downhill. Couldn't figure out why the bike was not going faster. 5th gear and 13k. Needles to say no problems will occur because of a incident here or there. Now u hold it at 13k for prolonged periods of time and be stupid with it then of course you are damaging your engine. The sound was interesting at 13k a's I remember. Buh dind dind dind dind dind

CDN6R

Maybe I am just being a wuz :eek:,,but for me I find that there is not much advantage in revin the bike that high (red line or above). For me it seems to work great at 11,000 RPM shifts. Mind you mine has stock exhaust.

Fenixgoon

It cut the spark. Every rev limiter are pretty much about the same. Cutting the fuel will hurt the engine due to extreme lean condition.
i thought most cars had fuel cutoff. either way, same end result :)

Maybe I am just being a wuz :eek:,,but for me I find that there is not much advantage in revin the bike that high (red line or above). For me it seems to work great at 11,000 RPM shifts. Mind you mine has stock exhaust.
in trying to keep up i just forgot to shift at my usual point (10.5-11k). i looked at the tach and saw 12.5 and was like :eek::eek:upshift!!!:eek::eek: