Went -2 in the rear, any guru knows how much my speedometer is off?

DocFZ

Just installed a Vortex Racing -2 rear sprocket. Obv speedometer is the same but the bike is going much faster. Anyone know how much its off in MPH?

Thanks
Derek

toddjcruz

You would be 5% closer to the actual speed of the bike. As the stock speedo is about 7% off, you are getting close to being right on. I would guess that true 60 is showing about 62 on the speedo.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

DocFZ

+1....

some have gone +1 front and find the speedo is perfect, going -2 rear will get you closer.... best bet.... got a GPS? fairly accurate way tell.
Yeah I had seen a few people doing the +1 up front. Figured I'd be different :)
Thanks for the input

DocFZ

You would be 5% closer to the actual speed of the bike. As the stock speedo is about 7% off, you are getting close to being right on. I would guess that true 60 is showing about 62 on the speedo.
I always felt like doin 50 on this bike was pretty damn slow. Why the hell would yamaha make it so off?

toddjcruz

I run +1/-3 on mine. Did the +1 1st, GPS verified as spot on. +1 is a 6.25% change to be correct. By taking away 2 on the back, that's 4.34% of a change. I didnt like being 'right on'. Don't want to be off as far as the stock was, but when buzzing 70 in a 55, that extra 3mph I have calibrated would put me at real speed of 67, possibly saving me a ticket. After a while, you kinda forget that you have it set a bit high and you just end up driving 2-3 mph slower than you think. I had to use the speedo-healer after doing the +1/-3 to get it that way, I was underwater on it after that and you don't want to be riding 70 when you are actually doing 75! That's trouble.

Kinda like setting your alarm clock 10 mins early so when you sleep in a bit, you still end up getting up on time! Anybody do that? (I did/do).

longtube55

My best guess is because this is a starter bike for most people and Yamaha wants someone who is getting used to riding to have that false sense of speed while possibly keeping them from getting a ticket. If you can wrap your head around my train of thought that might make sense. Or it could just be because digital equipment isn't as accurate as everyone thinks it is.

DocFZ

My best guess is because this is a starter bike for most people and Yamaha wants someone who is getting used to riding to have that false sense of speed while possibly keeping them from getting a ticket. If you can wrap your head around my train of thought that might make sense. Or it could just be because digital equipment isn't as accurate as everyone thinks it is.
very true. lol its funny this is my 3rd bike. Lol and its a starter bike

pilninggas

I run +1/-3 on mine. Did the +1 1st, GPS verified as spot on. +1 is a 6.25% change to be correct. By taking away 2 on the back, that's 4.34% of a change. I didnt like being 'right on'. Don't want to be off as far as the stock was, but when buzzing 70 in a 55, that extra 3mph I have calibrated would put me at real speed of 67, possibly saving me a ticket. After a while, you kinda forget that you have it set a bit high and you just end up driving 2-3 mph slower than you think. I had to use the speedo-healer after doing the +1/-3 to get it that way, I was underwater on it after that and you don't want to be riding 70 when you are actually doing 75! That's trouble.

Kinda like setting your alarm clock 10 mins early so when you sleep in a bit, you still end up getting up on time! Anybody do that? (I did/do).
i also have +1/-3 and really like it, no need to slip the clutch pulling away - which is what worried me.

Funny, my mate and i were riding up the M5 on saturday and my speedo said 98mph (so probably 108ish) and his FZ6 speedo was reporting 122ish.

I like the way it makes the bike just less revvy, which i tended to really notice as i've downsized to the XJ6.

Heineken

Elite Member

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator