Well, got my bike....but not an FZ6R

DarkTemplars

After about 4 months of research and reading, I finally went out and got my bike.

I was originally looking at the FZ6R but after looking around, I went woth a 2011 Ducati Monster 696

Been loving it. I'll still be surfing this forum along with many others just for crosstalk.

WhiteFZ

friggin awesome! I almost got the exact same bike. I liked it, my wife was into it to, but we were headed to the Yamaha dealer to look at the FZ. My wife was interested in the FZ6R, when we looked at them, there was the white and red, and she just fell in love with the color.

ajiribarren

Gorgeous bike mate!!! As long as you are on two wheels, you'll feel welcome around here hehe!!

Enjoy it, and keep the rubber side down

CrazyCawi

beautiful bike! how does it ride without a windscreen? im curious what that feels like.

ChUcK

It's not as bad as everyone thinks. I've been riding 11 years or so now, and the fz6r is the first windscreen I've ever had.

Nuce Duc! There's an older yellow 696 Monster that lives down my street, I always stop and admire when I'm out walking the dog. I approve.

CrazyCawi

the bike looks so mean and agressive I love it! Wonder is thats considered an SS for insurance?

DarkTemplars

The wind isn't bad up to 65mph. After that you start feeling it a little more.

Pricewise, I got mine for just under 10K with dealer fees and state taxes. I only priced insurance at GEICO and Progressive. I beleive GEICO does consider it a SS but progressive doesn't. But after pricing the insurance of several bikes between both companies, neither one of them makes any sense on how they classify certain bikes.

ChUcK

mmm, I keep looking at this thread again. I think the white on black monster is damn sexy. I hope you find a place to attach the stick with which to beat back the swarms of girls...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

amg14

Ducati's are sick bikes. their sound with CF cans on them are so distinguished from any other bike. my dad had a 2007 ST3 and i really wanted to get one for myself but when i found out about the cost of upkeep i went looking for something less pricey. thank you yamaha.

but congrats. try not to smile too much when your riding around.

redprodigy35

Please share your maintenance experiences with us as they develop.
I have heard many "iffy" things about Ducati maintenance, warping fuel tanks, bugged electrical, etc. I try to not hear/believe it. Please prove those rumors wrong. Have you heard such claims before your purchase, and if you did how did you get over that? I was REALLY looking into a brand new 696 before the 6R.

Wish you the best with your new toy!

Dunkirk

I went to sit on one earlier in June at the local BMW/Ducati dealer. Almost talked myself into it. Wifey was there luckily and talked me out. Mostly, I don't see a lowering option on the internet for this thing.

I would have gone red. I'm still on craigslist looking around.

<sigh> it's really the reason I've been thinking of stripping the FZ naked - to almost achieve this bike.

Gratz, man. I'm gonna wipe my saliva off the keyboard now.

DarkTemplars

I like the power output. Its advertised to be 80 hp and these days that's probably on the low side for a 700, but I also look around and wonder if you really need 120hp+ on a bike that probably weighs in the low 400s if not lower. One of the guys who works for me has the new BMW S1000RR and finding out it has 200hp just makes me shake my head.

But, even with it still in the first break-in period, it will take off pretty quickly.

As far as issues and maintenance goes. I've been looking at getting a street ride since Jan of this year. I've been riding dirt bikes for about 6 years, with alot of that riding being on dirt roads. I've looked at the Can-am Spyder, at yamahas, suzukis, triumphs, ducatis and hondas. I've surfed forums for pretty much all of them. I knew about the tank swelling coming in. The biggest thing I've found is that the vocal minority in the forums that get the swelling are the guys that ride thier bike once or twice a month and so the ethanol in todays fuel starts to separate and then reacts to the tank. And some dealers that replace swollen tanks are using a spray liner that prevents the swelling and will still honor the factory warranty. I haven't read anything about buggy electronics that haven't been accident or owner related.

As far as maintenance costs go. All I know is my first service at 600 miles will cost 200. That is the one you have to have to validate the warranty at my dealer. After that, scheduled service is done at 7.5k miles and every 7.5k afterwards. Labor costs at the Ducati dealer is 80 and hour while the local Japanese bike dealers run 120+.

dndfindley

I like the power output. Its advertised to be 80 hp and these days that's probably on the low side for a 700, but I also look around and wonder if you really need 120hp+ on a bike that probably weighs in the low 400s if not lower. One of the guys who works for me has the new BMW S1000RR and finding out it has 200hp just makes me shake my head.

But, even with it still in the first break-in period, it will take off pretty quickly.

As far as issues and maintenance goes. I've been looking at getting a street ride since Jan of this year. I've been riding dirt bikes for about 6 years, with alot of that riding being on dirt roads. I've looked at the Can-am Spyder, at yamahas, suzukis, triumphs, ducatis and hondas. I've surfed forums for pretty much all of them. I knew about the tank swelling coming in. The biggest thing I've found is that the vocal minority in the forums that get the swelling are the guys that ride thier bike once or twice a month and so the ethanol in todays fuel starts to separate and then reacts to the tank. And some dealers that replace swollen tanks are using a spray liner that prevents the swelling and will still honor the factory warranty. I haven't read anything about buggy electronics that haven't been accident or owner related.

As far as maintenance costs go. All I know is my first service at 600 miles will cost 200. That is the one you have to have to validate the warranty at my dealer. After that, scheduled service is done at 7.5k miles and every 7.5k afterwards. Labor costs at the Ducati dealer is 80 and hour while the local Japanese bike dealers run 120+.
You say you're looking at getting a street bike - have you made any decisions? David

redprodigy35

I haven't read anything about buggy electronics that haven't been accident or owner related.
I don't know if they've changed it but I think the company "Lucas Electric" use to do the electrical. This is from what I've gathered from lurkin around Duc and Triumph forums a tid bit, as I personally have always looked up to those brands.

Charging System- Ducati Up North
This link touches on some of the electrical issues with the older Duc's but I can swear I saw something after this time period. Will post up if I find it.

Also found this on ducatisuite.com

ELECTRICAL
Yes, Ducs are known for having electrical problems. A classic example is the classic Diana model- the electricals were so buggy that Ducati actually fitted a tail light kill switch to prevent the electrical system failure if the bulb
shorted, rather than fix the real problem. They have always been known for buggy electricals. Unfortunately, I am the latest in a long string of victims. Actually, as of late I have had minimal problems, but my vertical cyclinder
does occasionally quit firing, due no doubt to a shorting ignition control module, probably due to a crappy aftermarket tach.Voltage regulators are the biggest problem, usually they will short out and stop charging the
battery. Well, they more than just short out- they actually melt. Another common problem is the wiring between the regulator and the alternator. There is a plastic connector midway between them, and it causes a lot of
resistance. After time, it heats up, melts, and shorts out the regulator and or other ignition components, such as the ignition modules (black boxes) or coils. My wiring melted, but my regulator is still OK (after I fixed the wiring).
The best thing to do is solder in a straight connection to replace this hotbed of electrical failure. Fortunately, compared to the Honda I owned, aftermarket electricals that are better than stock are available. They are also somewhat resonably priced. I'm not saying that other bikes are any more reliable in the electrical department, just know that your beloved Duc is not immune to electrical gremlins.
I'm not knockin the bikes at all. I love them-- history, performance, dry clutches, and styling. It's just stuff like that stood out :eek: to me when I was debating my options... Although it would HAVE NOT been a good idea for a first bike. Well... Maybe a Monster, but there is a reason they call it that.

iSpoolin

I'm not a big fan of the monsters myself, but it is a nice bike! Congrats!

Detrich

love the monster... how much was it OTD?