Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Riccochet

I can't bring myself to like a naked bike. Yamaha would be doing itself a major disservice if they drop the entry level faired bike, like the FZ6R, from their lineup. Kawasaki will take that customer segment.

latony007

So they are only going to have naked bikes? Is the riding position going to be the same as the FZ6R or is it going to be another SS lay on the tank version? Seems like Kawi is the only consistent one with their models, the ninja 650 and 1000 been around for quite a while. plus the 1k is upright seating. I would have considered another yami but i think its going to be the ninja 1k for sure now.

p.s. i just checked the link, equally as ugly as the fz-09 (sorry Marthy) and the seat (s) look even more uncomfortable than the ones on the FZ. Im sure it performs great but so do many other bikes that have fairings, they should do every model with or without.

Bert-Aus

Tony, by the sounds of that reckoning you have become a "Honda" man?!

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

engineered2win

It's more than killing off a faired bike for a naked. There is a big difference in riding position between the FZ09 (and presumably the FZ07) and the 6R. The FZ09 is bolt upright without any wind protection at all, so you are essentially a giant sail on the highway. It's also rather awkward when you push it hard. You want to lean forward, but it's unnatural with the wide, flat bars.

The naked bikes never caught on in the US because of population density. We don't all live in a metropolis and rarely go over 50mph. If Yamaha drops all faired or semi faired middleweight bikes I probably won't be buying another Yamaha. Faired bikes offer superior aerodynamics, along with wind, rain, and engine heat protection. Yamaha probably expects us to just step up to the FJR1300000000 for your sport-touring needs, but it's a significantly larger and heavier bike (read 600lbs+).

Last edited:

latony007

Tony, by the sounds of that reckoning you have become a "Honda" man?!

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
Nah, im sticking with my Yamaha for now, but unless things change would go Kawisaki on next bike, and trading in my wifes Honda Civic probably this weekend :)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

pavmentsurfer

Im new here, new the FZ6R. I started back into riding with a bandit 650 and really liked it but didnt like that it looked like a touring bike. i do NOT want to be laying on the tank or holding myself up all the time. Did that back in the day, I know better now. I want to be comfortable and the FZ6R does exactly that. I also have a thing about how my bikes sound. It has to sound cool.

Parallel twins don't sound nearly cool enough. Some (Ninja 650) sound plain terrible. The FZ07 sounds better but still not good enough, no where near as nice as a 4 cylinder. I do have to say, the best sound on the planet is a triple, but if its going to be a twin... it has to be a V twin.

Im also not crazy about a naked bike. After feeling the difference between a half faired (bandit) and fully faired (FZ6R) I know for sure I don't want an un-faired bike.

I do agree with others though, "entry level" is such a fluid term. I see it in my business all the time (Snowmobiles and ATVs). A MFG builds an entry level product that sells amazing, then gets caught in the "newer and better" game year after year until that product is no longer entry level and sales drop... they wonder why only to come up with a "new idea" for an entry level product. If they would just stick to the formula that works I think they'd save themselves alot of hassles.

Chucker

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

pkoko

I posted this at gixxer.com and here is my opinion of the FZ09

My friend just picked up his FZ-09 today and I took it for a small spin. Here my thoughts compared to my GSX-R 750

1- The seat is higher than GSXR by 1" or so. It took a little for me to get used to it.

2- The motor has a unique sound and is very smooth. Powerwise it seemed to pull as hard as my 750 up to 6k. I didn't push it further.

3- Suspension is a lot softer than GSXR. It has a lot more nose dive and nose lift during hard braking and acceleration. It is not confidence inspiring at all. Takes a lot more rider input to turn. Also no steering dampener.

4- Front Brakes have good initial bite but lack our GSXRs modulation. I didnt use the rear to judge them.

5- Ergonomics- Because of the handle bars location being so high, wide, and close to rider; you can not lean at all on the gas tank. You can not also control your body under heavy braking. You cannot extend your body away from the bike during a hard turn bc of wide handle bars. The banana seat is inclined at an angle so that your feet must apply constant pressure for support. Is it more comfortable than GSXR? You bet. Do you feel so comfortable that you part of the bike? No.

6- Lastly, going faster than 50 MPH; I greatly missed my fairings and wind protection.

Overall, It is a good city bike. The torquey engine makes shifting unnecessary and it is comfortable. But IMHO, it is not a touring (too much wind) or canyon carver (suspension has too much movement).
Compared to FZ6R--
1- The seat is higher. The bars are a lot closer and wider. It is hard to aggressively brake with it. The seat is sloped forward in such a way that there is always pressure on the handle bars. I like the FZ6R's ergo the best even more than the GSXR. I am 5'9" with 31" inseam.

2- The wind will really beat above 50 mph. The FZ6R was enjoyable at highway speeds. The FZ09 beats you up. I don't think you can tucking can help.

3- The exhaust is a lot nosier yet not deeper. It is just louder. But again, I didn't push it past 6k rpms.

4- Powerwise- It is no comparison. The FZ09 pulls hard. It pulls as fast a supersport. The FZ6R feels like family car compared to a sport car.

5- Suspension-- The FZ6R wins easily. The FZ6R feels confident planted on the road. FZ09 does not. Even after adjusting the suspension to the hard setting, the FZ09 is not a confidence inspiring handling machine. Flickbility is about the same though.

6- Dash has a lot more information including gear indicator. I wish the FZ6R had one

Last edited:

abyss1406

Fz6r naked is the way to go. I really do believe that the international XJ6 was what Yamaha intended the bike to be but knowing that the American market wouldn't buy it, they put fairing on it. The FZ6r doesn't even compare to the older predecessors, it in itself is a unique bike. But feels better naked all around.