Warmer gear??

Verranth

For those in VA:
Have you noticed that this week wa kinda...cold. Well, with my mesh jacket, it got really cold and my perforated leather gloves didnt help either.

For everyone:
Any nice "winter" gloves out there that I should consider before I go buy randomly?

FitZ6R

Around here (eastern PA) it's been ranging from 50s overnight to highs around80. Beautiful riding weather, but frequent gear adjustments required.

For fall use, I just picked up a pair of Alpinestar ST-1 Drystar gloves (about $40). Waterproof, moderately insulated, and enough of a cuff to seal over my jacket sleeves.

Verranth

Around here (eastern PA) it's been ranging from 50s overnight to highs around80. Beautiful riding weather, but frequent gear adjustments required.

For fall use, I just picked up a pair of Alpinestar ST-1 Drystar gloves (about $40). Waterproof, moderately insulated, and enough of a cuff to seal over my jacket sleeves.
I gave that a quick look and dismissed it because of the lack fo the carbon fiber knuckle sliders. However, after looking at the other Astars, the price goes significantly higher for something like that....over $100 :(

I'm not made of money....:rof:

Thanks for your comment on them though. They are back on the table :)

FitZ6R

I'm going to look at heated vests this weekend. Apparently the trick is to keep your core organs warm. Does anyone know where the "accessory" plug-in is on our bikes or if it has one?
There isn't, but heated gear usually comes with a connector to wire directly to the battery.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

KelownaKeith

I picked up a heated vest today from the Ducati/BMW/Triumph dealer. It's a "Gears GenX2 heated vest". It's a Canadian Company so might not be in the states. I'll wire it up tomorrow. Looks pretty straightforward.

While I was there I sat on a Triumph Daytona 675. That is a nice machine and feels way smaller than our bikes. Like a little toy bike, with 125HP!

KelownaKeith

Amazing! That's the first thing that came to mind after a run with my newly acquired heated vest.

The vest keeps your body core so warm that it send out excess warmth to all your body parts, including your hands. I wear very flexible but thin gloves and and my hands were kept toasty in the cool morning temps (around 8C).

In my opinion, for someone living in a cold climate (like Canada) a heated vest should be an essential safety item. I've ridden when I've been very cold and instead of concentrating on your riding you concentrate on how cold you are.

You're hands numb up and lose the flexibility that is needed to ride properly.

I do a lot of riding on high mountain passes so when its warm down in the Valley it can be really cold "up there". It's nice to have the confidence that you have warmth if you need it, even if you don't have the vest turned on.

The one I got was $159 CAN, I should have been sold this vest in Feb when I got my bike. I would have really appreciated it. Oh well, motorcycle salesman are probably great riders but lack in the selling skills department.