Velcro the Fairing

Siamese

Okay, brand new member here, posting something dumb on first post.

Oh, BTW, biking since I was a lad back in the mid 60's. Just got a new-to-me 2012 FZ6R. I'm in snowy Michigan, but tomorrow I tow it down to Natchez, Mississippi for a few days of riding.

Once my bike was delivered by the dealer, I got busy getting it ready for my first ride/trip. Oil, chain, coolant, and so on. Of course, it required fairing removal. Not a real bad process, but getting the screws lined up on the re-install can be a little fussy.

It occurred to me, that a nice long strip of heavy duty Velcro at the top of the fairing where the three screws go, and some bits of velcro wrapped around the brackets where single screws go would make it easier to remove and replace the fairing. Am I going to do it? Um....dunno. But, think about it, when you want it off.....rrrrrrrrrrrip, and it's gone!

BUT...I did see something humorous in the manual. It says coolant should be checked before every ride. To check coolant: step one, REMOVE FAIRING. Now, that there is funny.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

xorbe

I had a very difficult time getting the threads going for fairing re-installation. Is there some secret ...

Siamese

I had a very difficult time getting the threads going for fairing re-installation. Is there some secret ...
One thing that helped me with some of the trickier screws was to pull the fairing away and test thread the screw in without going through the fairing. Note the angle of the screw...such as angled down, and a little out, etc.. Then, do your best to duplicate that angle when you do the final attachment.

I was working in my dimly lit garage, so I used a flashlight to make sure the I had the hole in the fairing perfectly aligned with the female threads before carefully threading in the screw. Patience helps.

I found it easier to do than the fairing on my previous bike, a Kawasaki KLR 650.

sunkist

the only fairings I have trouble putting back on are the smaller black ones under the handle bars.. things have made me throw little sissy tantrums regularly.

the only fairings I have trouble putting back on are the smaller black ones under the handle bars.. things have made me throw little sissy tantrums regularly.

Oh lawd, I know! One of my mine still isn't on quite right but I gave up and left it before I smashed something! It's secure, just looks a little funny. Staying that way for now...

Other than that, I really only struggle with the lower cowling behind the front tire. It looks so simple but always struggle to get those bolts started.

Not sure about the velcro idea. Are there enough points of contact along the fairing so that you could actually get a secure fit? I would need to go look at my bike but it seems that most of the fairing "floats" and is mostly only making direct contact with the bike where the bolts go.

I'd also be concerned about the adhesive coming loose when it's hot out. Would really suck to be far away from home when you find out it's not working.

It's an interesting idea but I think I'll just deal with the hassle of the bolts.

Edit: the advice from Siamese is good too, that trick has helped me before.

Last edited:

Bert-Aus

If you want quick release and reliable fasteners check out Dzus fasteners

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member