Used bike condition help

Doggman

I am looking into buying a used 09 FZ6R with 2100 miles that was bought new in July of 2010. My dad test drove it today and noticed that the handle bars are not centered. They are slightly shifted to the left but not bend, we don't think. He also said that while he was riding it, the left handle bar was slightly farther up than the right handle bar when he was going straight. He also felt that when he accelerated the bike pulled to the right slightly. This sounds extremely serious but he said the bike still rode perfectly straight and felt very balanced, but only when he compensated for the off center handle bars. Were assuming that the bike was tipped over and landed on the handle bar, thus making it shift to the left. Small scratches on the mirror further our suspicion. What do y'all think? Does this sort of thing happen or is the bike seriously damaged? Were taking it into the shop tomorrow so i guess i'll know for sure tomorrow but i was curious to know what y'all think.

Detrich

Small tip overs won't knock the handlebars outta whack like that. Had to have been a fairly hard fall. Doesn't mean it can't be fixed but u should have it checked out. Sounds a bit fishy.

CrazyCawi

took a 25mph one to knock my handlebars out of whack, thanks to the wifey lol

Detrich

Ouchie... glad u guys are ok. :)

yfz6r

My bike fell over on a trailer. It knocked my handlebars off center. Look at the bottom of the turn signal on the side it fell on. If it was a dump at a speed, it probably scratched that up

CrazyCawi

How bad is it for the bike if they get knocked out? Is it really bad or can they be easily re-aligned?
easy, just loosened the riser things that hold the bars, put the handlebars back in place n re-tightened, and voila! and that was 25mph....

SAFE-T

Probably no biggie, but let the shop you are taking it to give you their opinion before you buy it.

Very common for forks to turn a small bit in the triple clamps and/or bend the bars a bit if the bike falls over ~ we are talking 400+ lbs here hitting the ground at 13 km/h from a standstill. Someone else can do the math here, but that's a fair bit of force.

Big crashes damage stuff that is difficult (ie. expensive) to replace. Check engine cases, end of swingarm, fork bottoms, front brake calipers, etc. Whoopsie crashes scratch anything that sticks out, like mirrors and bar ends.