Upgrading from the 2008 Ninja 250

SoulRider

So I've grown tired of the weak suspension and limited power on my 2008 Ninja 250R. It's a pretty neat bike, and I've enjoyed it a lot. It eats up canyons here in Malibu and cuts through traffic perfectly. I get about 50-53 mpg on regular gas.
But it's suspension just isn't up to the task of absorbing bumps or vibrations while doing 70+ on our rough freeways (it's doing 9,000 rpms!), I hate having to crank the throttle all the way to go fast or pass, and the brakes are not up to the job at speeds over 70 either. If I never went over about 60 it would be a perfect bike, especially with my Corbin seat on it. Its stock seat was too thin!

It has a pretty comfortable riding position, a neat little storage area under the removable rear seat, where there are also 2 helmet holder brackets, so I can lock my helmet. It holds my big Nelson Rigg tailbag fine, with its underseat hooks.

But I want something with more power without the too-leaned-forward position of the supersports, so what I looked at have been the FZ6R, the Ninja 650R and the Suzuki SV 650SF and GSX650R.
Today I sat on all 4 of these bikes and am down to either the Ninja or the FZ6R. The Ninja has a slight advantage in that it is cheaper (I may even be able to find a green used one), it matches my green gear, and I might be able to get a slightly better deal if I buy another Kawasaki at the same dealership I went to in 2008. it's still a new model with the improvements they made, so I don't expect big discounts.

On the other hand the new FZ6R is getting pretty good reviews and seems to be a higher quality bike than the Ninja. I prefer its looks, especially with the separate seats, though I saw that the white bike (my first choice) has silly graphics on the tank that can't be peeled off like the ones on the fairings.
I browsed the threads here today and would like to post a few questions. My saleman today wasn't much help. Obviously someone who has upgraded from the new 250 Ninja will have the best advise, but I'm sure everyone will be able to chime in.

First I'd like to hear more about people's impressions of the new FZ6R and what features stand out, or are lacking?
I'm very concerned about a bike having a helmet lock, as I live in an area where you don't just toss your helmet over the throttle and walk into the grocery store!

What kind of mpg are you seeing? Does the Yamaha take premium? or regular?

Have you noticed any problems with the heavier weight of the 6R? I have to wheel my bike out from in front of my car in my parking garage, sometimes having to back it up 20 feet and try to angle it out to get out if my neighbors are parked. The 250 is so light that it's almost impossible to drop, but was concerned about the weight of a bike when I bought the 250 last year.
What size bike cover fits the FZ6R? I have a Nelson Rigg that is pretty tight on the 250. It also melts sometimes on the side pipe. I wonder if that could be an issue with the underbelly exhaust.
How badly do the rear view mirrors vibrate on the bike at highway speeds? Mine are so shaky that there could be a cop car in full view and at 75 I'd never know!
What is the break-in rpm limit? What speed will that be in top gear?
I hated trying to do the factory break-in on the 250 and not going over 4,000 rpm for the first 500 miles. That was a 35 mph limit!

I'm sure I'll think of more questions but thanks for any advice you all can give. The lack of proper test drives makes your knowledge very valuable and certainly if anyone has questions about the Next Gen Ninja 250 I'll be happy to help. And if you know anyone wanting to buy one next month... ;-)

Ooter

Wow lots of questions :) I upgraded from a 2004 ninja 250 so I should be able to answer most of these (just have no clue on what size bike cover would fit!

Weight - This bike is heavy - 450 lbs. It can be tricky to move around but its not too bad. Just be careful on hills! I made the dumb mistake of trying to do a 3 point uturn on a REALLY steep hill in rhode island - almost dropped it!

Mileage - I think most people are seeing low to mid 40s.

Mirror vibration - None! I've never seen this at any speed.

Break in RPM - Yamaha says 6krpm (in top gear this is about 65 mph) for first 500 miles , and 7k for the next 500 miles. Take that for what its worth of course.

Suspension - Pretty good considering the price of the bike. It has an adjustable preload for the rear shock.

Helmet lock - I'm 99% sure I read that it has one in the owners manual - though I have not used it myself.

Underseat hooks - I WISH the fz6r had them, but it does not. I attach my tail bag to the crappy plastic fender and to the rear fairings. Not ideal at all, but it does do the job.

One other thing - Some of us (myself included) see some slight engine vibration at around 6200 - 6800 rpm. Its not that bad, but annoying enough that I won't ride the bike in that rpm range. The good news it that I have 1500 miles on the bike and the problem is going away for me now. Apparently lots of yamahas with r6-derived motors have this vibration. Then again, some of us don't see this at all.

All in all I'm loving the bike. Just don't expect a HUGE power increase from the 250, because you won't get it. If you're going 70 mph on the highway in 6th gear and you want to make a quick pass, you are going to be downshifting just like on the 250. Don't get me wrong though I'm not saying the FZ6R is slow - it will do 0-60 in 3.8 according to the magazines, I think the ninja 250 was around 5.7 seconds. The red line is at 11500 RPM which isn't particularly high for a 600 so you will be shifting when you want to change speed quickly.

I rode a friends kawasaki zx-6r - totally different animal power wise. Of course, after an hour, my back was killing me and I had to get off. I've done plenty of 2 hour trips on the fz6r with no discomfort - just like the 250.

Hope this was helpful!

O-turn

Partier
First I'd like to hear more about people's impressions of the new FZ6R and what features stand out, or are lacking?
I'm very concerned about a bike having a helmet lock, as I live in an area where you don't just toss your helmet over the throttle and walk into the grocery store!

What kind of mpg are you seeing? Does the Yamaha take premium? or regular?

Have you noticed any problems with the heavier weight of the 6R? I have to wheel my bike out from in front of my car in my parking garage, sometimes having to back it up 20 feet and try to angle it out to get out if my neighbors are parked. The 250 is so light that it's almost impossible to drop, but was concerned about the weight of a bike when I bought the 250 last year.
What size bike cover fits the FZ6R? I have a Nelson Rigg that is pretty tight on the 250. It also melts sometimes on the side pipe. I wonder if that could be an issue with the underbelly exhaust.
How badly do the rear view mirrors vibrate on the bike at highway speeds? Mine are so shaky that there could be a cop car in full view and at 75 I'd never know!
What is the break-in rpm limit? What speed will that be in top gear?
I hated trying to do the factory break-in on the 250 and not going over 4,000 rpm for the first 500 miles. That was a 35 mph limit!
Im gonna try and give ya the best answers I can, although this is my first bike so bear with me!

There is a helmet lock under the rear seat (Cable to put through the metal fasteners in your helmet)

Im sure you could put regular in, but with such a high revving engine you want to stick with premium, as you know filling a bike is rather cheap!

It is a rather heavy bike, but unless your REALLY small its not all that hard to maneuver in and out of the garage, just practice for awhile to learn its tendencies.

As for a cover, mine is in the garage so Im not sure, hopefully someone else chimes in!

My rear views (OEM) do not shake that much, no problems above 75 and even on into triple digits.

For the first 600 miles, you want to stay below 6,000 RPMS and make sure you dont ride at a constant RPM for an extended period of time. Between 600-1000 miles you can start revving out a little further, but not all the way to redline yet. (Some say the motor is broken in from the factory, but better to be safe then sorry!)

Hopefully that aids your decision, also the FZ6R sounds like a sport bike as opposed to the 2 strokers (SV650F, 650R) which sound like ATV's. lol

Good luck!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't think you can go wrong with this bike. This is my first bike as well (I was originally considering the Ninja 250) and I love how user friendly it is. The two guys above me have pretty much answered your questions dead on, except for the bike cover concern. I have no answer for this, but I will tell you that there is a factory cover from Yamaha specific for the FZ6R, if that matters.

I too was worrying about maneuvering this bike, knowing that it weighted 3 times what I do. But I have found that I can sit in the saddle and walk it around pretty well, forward and backwards and even in circles. Now, if the ground is level and clean, and I only need to move forward or backwards, I can do this from the side as well. Once the bike is upright, it pretty much stays balanced.

As for power, it's not the fastest 600 out there, but it has plenty of go. The torque is excellent, in my opinion. Cruising at 40 mph and then rolling on the gas to WOT, the FZ6R pulled away from an FZ6 by about 5 bike lengths and the FZ6 has 20 extra HP. Like the others said, if you are traveling down the highway and want to pass quickly, just knock it down and gear and go. It has excellent acceleration and response in the upper rpm/powerband range.

If you get this bike, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :thumbup:

ramflyer1899

My dealer told me to ride it like I stole it (their mechanic). No break in required. I opted to read and follow the guidelines in the book.

It says to avoid prolonged periods above 5800 for the 1st 500 miles. Then avoid prolonged periods above 7k from 500-1000.

I take that to mean I can go above those numbers and I can accelerate hard if I like, but to make sure I end up at or under 5800 for the 1st 500. So far I've exceeded the 5800 mark during acceleration not by much but I make sure that I stay at 5800-6000 but again not for long as I try and vary engine speend which I've heard is the thing to do.

Anyway, 5800 will put you between 60 and 65. And the mirrors will not vibrate...

Most important is to have the 500 mile service done because those 1st 500 miles will put tiny metallic engine shavings in the oil and filter as the engine breaks in.

If I had to choose, I'd go with the Yamaha - but then again I'm biased now!!! :D

SoulRider

Thanks a lot all! I didn't expect to see this many posts so soon! Nor such info-filled ones! I Like that I can hand out THANKS on this board.

I am familiar with ninja250.org but post a question there and you're more likely to get some jerk telling you to check the FAQ! They have an extensive amount of info on that model, but little on the neext gen bike, but way too many users go out of their way to tell people to check the FAQ, instead of just helping or shutting up ;-)

So I'm going to check through the photo galleries now. Hopefully there will be some of the area under the seat.

Any confirmations on the octane of gas required? I don't waste my money by putting premium in my 250, as it isn't tuned for 91.
I'll try to remember to take my camera w/ me today when we check out the Ninja 650 and the FZ6R.
This will be my third brand new vehicle, having bought the new 2005 Mustang GT and the 2008 Ninja 250 right after they both came out and I know how important it is to have a picture on these threads!

msgirle

I too have a 08 Ninja 250 and the Yamaha and love both bikes...totally different animals so you can't compare them. I love them both...love how light the 250 is and how you can hug turns...the downside is it lacks power but what do you expect from a 250! The only thing that I have to say about the FZ6R is here in California, it's 470 lbs...very heavy! That is the one of the things that I don't like about it the other reason is that Yoshimura will not be making an exhaust for our bike! SUCKS! LOL! I like the Ninja 650R as it's 30 lbs lighter and Yoshimura made a slip on exhaust for them!! Not dissapointed in my choice just wish we had more options with modifications! Overall it's an awesome bike...I would definitely sit and compare the bikes side by side and see which one feels more comfortable to you! I've had to get used to the weight and I'm managing just fine except when I'm exhausted! It just takes getting use to..that's all!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Any confirmations on the octane of gas required? I don't waste my money by putting premium in my 250, as it isn't tuned for 91.
I believe the owner's manual recommends 87. That's what I use and I have no problems.

bocolo

I upgraded to a FZ6R after an '09 Ninja 250, and while I do like it, it's not the most comfy of bikes. I've had to rotate the bars, levers, pull the seat up and down, and it still leaves me aching after awhile, although I think if I could move the handlebars into the higher position it would help.

Don't worry about the 'lack of power', after the 250 I think you'll find it has plenty. I usually don't downshift when passing, and I can still go from 70 to 85+ in a split second with just a little flick of the throttle.

You'll also have to get used to the extra weight, it can be really annoying after the little ninja, but you do get used to it pretty quick.

xplodnstar

I've actually owned and ridden all 3 bikes, save that the 250 is a 2007. The 650 (also 2007) had really great handling and was easy in the turns. Not quite as heavy as the 6R, but the center of gravity was MUCH higher. I constantly felt like I was about 2 feet higher off the ground than I actually was. However, it still felt comfortable. One thing the 650 owners used to say was that there were times when it would lean into a turn and feel like it did not want to come back up. That part scared me a little. One thing about Kawi's being slightly less expensive is that they don't always add the little niceties. Changing out the front turn signals meant clipping, soldering, etc., while on the Yami, it's an easy plug in system.

Having been riding the FZ6R for 6 months now, I can definitely say that it is a more comfortable fit for me. Despite the heavier weight, the balance of the bike allows me to turn with confidence I was never able to gain on the 650.

Although a really good reason to choose the FZ6R over the 650 is that this forum is a really great place to get info and talk to some really great people. Last I heard, the main 650 forum imploded in a blaze of glory. :(

jersy19

i had a blue 08 250 before and this bike is alot better in all aspects. but i do miss the 250 because i actually had a nice yoshi pipe on it and it didnt cost much and now i cant afford a damn pipe for my 6R lol

SoulRider

Thanks again! This board rocks! I've posted questions in many other forums and would never have expected this many replies so soon. Is the weather so hot you are all not out riding? ;-) Hee hee!

So just got back from the Kawi and Yamaha dealers. The local Kawi dealer came back with a price on the 2009 Ninja 650 at $8700+! He said he could probably go below $7700 if I got it today... which means I won't go higher than $7500.

The Yamaha dealer was straight forward- $7299 OTD for the FZ6R. This is a great deal what with our high tax rates here in CA. But he also told me I could get a Ninja 650R from their other store in the OC for $6799. So I'm kinda back to- does paying less for the Ninja get me a better deal?
I think the main things I don't care for on the ninja are the digital gauges, the big seat, the 2 cylinders (and possible more vibration). But I wouldn't have to get new matching gear if I got a new Green Ninja, and I would probably want to with a yellow FZ6R. I saw that you can't peel the feminine graphics off the tank on the white one. Bummer.

My insurance gave equal prices on premiums for either of these bikes.
And I won't be doing any mods to my bike.

So $6800 and no need for any extra gear.
Or $7299 and maybe about $500-600 for new helmet and jacket in hard-to-find yellow.... meaning a total of about $7850....

The math and my bank account say choose the lighter Ninja. Will the FZ6R be wroth the extra $1000 for the better gauges, less buzzing and cooler seat? Here's a chance to share your opinions!
Thanks!

xplodnstar

Did you end up at Marina Yamaha? Those guys are great. I use thier OC sister store for service. They will always give you a good deal with a fair, up-front price.

I don't see why you couldn't peel off the vines decal. I haven't inspected THAT closely because I don't plan on removing mine, but I was fairly certain it's just a sticker. Half a bottle of Goo-Gone ought to take care of it. The other option is to paint a nice Kawi Green stripe over the pink/purple one. The vines aren't so bad, but I understand that you don't want your colors to clash :p

Either way, stick with the OTD Cycle guys, they are good people.

SoulRider

yes, I'm afraid that while you can peel the vine stickers off the white model's fairing the stickers on the tank are clearcoated over. They'd have to remove the tank to repaint it, which = big bucks.

Yes, the OTD in OC has the ninja 650r at $1000+ less! In fact I was talking to my buddy to help me decide and we both flipped a quarter! Yamaha was heads Ninja was tails... they both came up tails! Still looking to see if the FZ6R is worth the extra $1000. I am mainly upgrading for long distance rides, as my 250 Ninja works fine out to about 12 miles. More than that can be a chore with all the buzzing and bumps.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure how well the ninja would do on longer trips, but I can attest to the comfortable ride on the FZ6R. I have gone on several long trips and I don't have a problem being comfortable the whole time. There isn't all that much vibration and the mirrors stay in place. :confused:

This bike is excellent in all categories, in my opinion. It is great for commuting to work in traffic, handles well at higher speeds and through the twisties, and can still be comfortable to take it on the highway for long periods of time.

I was looking at the ninja before I saw the FZ6R. I sat on both and was far more comfortable on the FZ6R and I liked a lot of the "amenities" it has to offer.

We could give you advice all day long, but in the end you will have to get what works best for you. This includes comfort and cost. Best of luck making a tough decision!

fz6rwolf

I was torn between the 650r, GSX650F and FZ6R. Sat on all 3, read reviews etc and it came down to what felt most comortable and the 6R won out and I couldn't be happier. As for the weight, what weight? Of course I'm coming from 700lb cruisers so I think this is nothing LOL. I've heard of this vibration some have said but I never felt it, I've done 300 mile rides and it's pretty comfy I think. As for fuel, I use medium grade (around 91 octane) and runs real good. I've also heard if ill fitting fairing pieces on the 650R, don't know if they've fixed those problems on the 09's. Whichever you decide it will be more comfortable on longer rides or on the freeway.

area

yes, I'm afraid that while you can peel the vine stickers off the white model's fairing the stickers on the tank are clearcoated over. They'd have to remove the tank to repaint it, which = big bucks.

Yes, the OTD in OC has the ninja 650r at $1000+ less! In fact I was talking to my buddy to help me decide and we both flipped a quarter! Yamaha was heads Ninja was tails... they both came up tails! Still looking to see if the FZ6R is worth the extra $1000. I am mainly upgrading for long distance rides, as my 250 Ninja works fine out to about 12 miles. More than that can be a chore with all the buzzing and bumps.
Hmm, is the ninja a brand new model as well? Very intersting...when I was shopping for my FZ6R the 650R were all 300-400 dollars more expensive.

I just checked the dealer site I bought my bike from and the Ninja 650R are now 300 dollars cheaper while they raised the prices on the FZ6R by 100.

Sounds like they may be making a move to push all Ninja 650's out the door for a new model year?

SoulRider

yes, the 2009 Ninja 650 is a more refined bike, which probably is why there'd be a higher price.

But I have an idea that maybe a tank bra would cover the silly vine graphics, or at least the part that my tank bag (which I use at least 1/2 the time) doesn't cover. Anyone have a tank bra on their new R?

msgirle

SoulRider...you gotta go with what makes you happy...$1000 is a lot of money and if you're trying to budget, then go with the Ninja but if you want a better bike...you gotta stick with the Yamaha! :) U think I'm biased? LOL! But really, if I were in your shoes, I'd have a hell of a time trying to figure it out...decisions decisions...let us know what you decide!

SoulRider

yeah, it's a tough one

My biggest concern with upgrading is probably the weight of the bike.
I'm a bit of a discord, which is why when starting to ride again after about 20 years of cars I chose the lightest bike that was freeway ridable. I've never come close to dropping it.
It only weighs 337 lbs dry, vs the 451 dry weight of the FZ6R. But then the Ninja 650 weighs 429 dry. Not that much lighter...

So yes, it's not going to be easy. I'll also be checking to see if there is a difference between the insurance on these (and maybe other) bikes. I know I'll be paying a lot more for insurance but there just aren't any bikes I like that are considered standards, like the Ninja 250 is, which gives it a low price. I have never wanted to ride a bike without a full fairing for commuting and sport riding. But who knows?