Universal Givi Topcase Mod

Love Enigma

Hey,
So I've had this Givi topcase since Christmas and have been running it bolted straight onto the plastic (which is not the most appealing look, so I wouldn't recommend it for aesthetics, but it did work.)

Last night we decided it was time for a little improvement since my fiancé just recovered the seat on his bike. I don't have step by step pictures, but I think you'll get the idea.

Here's what we did:
1) We had purchased a used rear seat on e-bay for a decent price as I didn't want to use my stock seat. I ride two up with friends sometimes and like keeping the option open.

2) We had completely taken the seat cover off by pulling out the staples on the bottom. Then placed the Givi plate onto the seat and measured out holes from the slots on the universal plate through to the thick part of the plastic on the seat (which you can see in pics.)

3) I then took the foam and cut it straight down the highest part of the... bump... and cut a section out of the center, leaving the foam around the sides to help smooth out the finished look. I went this way to provide more stability to the case as I'd read others who had bolted straight through the foam wasn't as stable as they would have liked.

4) Recover the cowl using the original fabric and a heavy duty stapler. Now, you'll notice I have considerably more staples than the original, that's because no matter how much pressure the stapler wasn't strong enough to go through the plastic. I am also one of those people who likes to make sure nothing moves around. This was probably overkill, but it worked. I did end up removing quite a bit of those and hammering them flat, which I highly recommend as the first time I put it on, it slightly scratched my taillight (beneath the seat).

5) I utilized a marshmallow poker stick that I use for random, non-food projects and a lighter to melt holes through the cover once it was firmly fixed to the plate again for the bolt holes.

6) I used the big circular holes and some metal zip-ties to help hold the base in place as well as the screws and bolts the Givi case came with wi hold it down. This required a little assistance to get the bolts tightened down as the cushion on the sides and a little from the bump area kept the plate from lying completely flat. I had HWMO help tighten the bolts down.

7) Slapped back on the plates and onto the bike it went. I don't have any before pictures, but it looks so much better. Now, the case and seat moved around so we took some hard plastic and adhered it to the black metal bar the rubber feet sit on to help stabilize it as it rocked side to side.

And that's it! It's not a big project, but I love not having to carry around my helmet and pick up groceries and other necessities whenever I feel like, not whenever I bring my backpack or tank bag.

Enjoy the pics.

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member