Undecided!!!

ecunni04

Ok I know I am new here but I am having one hell of a time deciding between the fz6r and the kawi 650r. They are both very comfortable and great looking. Can anyone give any advice for a new rider in what to look for when deciding between two different bikes? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mr Citrus

Ok I know I am new here but I am having one hell of a time deciding between the fz6r and the kawi 650r. They are both very comfortable and great looking. Can anyone give any advice for a new rider in what to look for when deciding between two different bikes? Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Go for the fz6r! I've never sat on the kawi, but my only dislike about the 6r is the footpegs seem to get in the way when I'm at a stop sign, but that's just me nitpicking.

CDN6R

Well, the Kawi is a Big parallel twin.(the bore,diameter, of the 2 cylinders are wider than the FZ6R's 4 cylinders) Now the FZ6R is a in-line 4 cylinder and therefor it runs smoother than the Kawi because it is balanced. The 650 R will have a bit more low end torque (because it is a twin,displacing approx the same engine size as the 6R) but the Fz6r will rev up quicker, and like I said be smoother. So riding on the highway at 65 MPH the FZ6R will be somewhat better because there will be less vibration than the Kawi 650R making it more comphy,and pleasurable. The FZ6R makes for a great little tourer and all around motorcycle.

ILS27R

I rented both.

Hello. I'm shopping for a new bike too. Luckily I was able to rent both the Ninja 650R and the FZ6R.

I rode the 650 first then the 6R. The Ninja had 40,000+ miles, the 6R 25,000+.

Here are some thoughts;

The FZ6R felt like it had a narrower and more tucked in riding position. The 650 felt like it had wider handlebars and footpegs. Neither was uncomfortable for me. I could put my feet straight down on the Ninja but on the Yamaha the pegs were in the way. It only took a few traffic signals, though, for me to learn where to put my feet when stopping the 6R.

The 650 had tons of grunt down low and would pull hard through the middle but seemed to poop out a little on top. At one point I thought that all that torque would be perfect for a beginner and maybe I should shop for a Ninja. The FZ6R would pull hard all the way through and, with four cylinders, would quickly zing to redline. After a few twists of the throttle I became addicted and quickly forgot about the Ninja.

The sound of the 4 cylinder was more pleasing to me than the sound of the twin.

The 6R's transmission was silky smooth. The 650's was kind of clunky, but it was a rental with 40,000 miles so that may be why. They both had clutches with lots of bite and easy pulls.

The Yamaha felt more smooth and refined overall to me. The Ninja kind of reminded me of an old truck I used to have... tough but lacking refinement.

I liked the 6R's dash with digital display and analog tach. The Ninja was older with analog tach & speedo side by side, but the one I sat on at the dealer had a completely digital dash with a bar graph at the bottom for the tach. It didn't seem as instinctive to me.

The Ninja's seat was squishy and comfy. The 6R's seat was thinner and harder. After 200 miles my cheeks were a little numb. Never noticed it on the Ninja.

I know this was long but I hope it helps.

Good luck.

redwing-2001

Hello. I'm shopping for a new bike too. Luckily I was able to rent both the Ninja 650R and the FZ6R.

I rode the 650 first then the 6R. The Ninja had 40,000+ miles, the 6R 25,000+.

Here are some thoughts;

The FZ6R felt like it had a narrower and more tucked in riding position. The 650 felt like it had wider handlebars and footpegs. Neither was uncomfortable for me. I could put my feet straight down on the Ninja but on the Yamaha the pegs were in the way. It only took a few traffic signals, though, for me to learn where to put my feet when stopping the 6R.

The 650 had tons of grunt down low and would pull hard through the middle but seemed to poop out a little on top. At one point I thought that all that torque would be perfect for a beginner and maybe I should shop for a Ninja. The FZ6R would pull hard all the way through and, with four cylinders, would quickly zing to redline. After a few twists of the throttle I became addicted and quickly forgot about the Ninja.

The sound of the 4 cylinder was more pleasing to me than the sound of the twin.

The 6R's transmission was silky smooth. The 650's was kind of clunky, but it was a rental with 40,000 miles so that may be why. They both had clutches with lots of bite and easy pulls.

The Yamaha felt more smooth and refined overall to me. The Ninja kind of reminded me of an old truck I used to have... tough but lacking refinement.

I liked the 6R's dash with digital display and analog tach. The Ninja was older with analog tach & speedo side by side, but the one I sat on at the dealer had a completely digital dash with a bar graph at the bottom for the tach. It didn't seem as instinctive to me.

The Ninja's seat was squishy and comfy. The 6R's seat was thinner and harder. After 200 miles my cheeks were a little numb. Never noticed it on the Ninja.

I know this was long but I hope it helps.

Good luck.
this was pretty much my conclusion when I was looking for a commuter and narrowed it down to the Ninja and FZ6R. I chose the FZ6R. The only thing I can add is I think the Yamaha has cleaner looking lines than the Ninja and I especially did not care for that large muffler on the Ninja.

iSpoolin

Inline 4 > Parallel Twin :) Nuff Said!

CDN6R

I LOVE this::::The Ninja kind of reminded me of an old truck I used to have... tough but lacking refinement.

:rof::rof:

Chucker

Read the comparisons. Most reviewers liked the FZ6R more. That was how I made my choice, but it was between the FZ6R and the GSX650F. I wanted an I-4, not a twin.

ecunni04

I was in the exact same boat, I did all the research I could, I watched no lie 75 youtube videos and pros and cons for each and every night I read forums and just stressed myself because this was a big step for my financially. They are both great bikes.

Auto Rivals | 2010 Yamaha FZ6R vs 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

This may help you!

Oh yeah the TOP SPEED: 124 mph for the 6R is a lie, 130 is what mine runs.
I am doing that right now. Every night before I go to bed I check you tube for any new videos. If there are not any new ones, I just watch the sames ones I have. lol

ecunni04

Went to the dealer again yesterday. Finally got to see the 2011 models of each sitting next to each other. The Ninja was a pretty bike bike but the FZ6R just had that extra more defined look to it. Plus I think the I-4 is a better way to go. Thanks for all the information guys!!!

Sparkxx1

Oh yeah the TOP SPEED: 124 mph for the 6R is a lie, 130 is what mine runs.
I heard if you derestrict it it's more fun to ride, but it's illegal...:rolleyes:

I'll probably get it done later, the part costs 150$ and I'm still such a noob!

Wait I'm confused is it only for Aus or for all of us that the bike is restricted. Find stuff on the forum is difficult at times...

Last edited:

elikhom

I also was looking at both till I finally decided for the FZ6R and bought it less than 3 weeks ago. I just felt in love with the copper red/raven one.
Originally I was looking for previous years 6r (looking for a blue) and 650r's (red one) but could only find green 650r which I don't like at all and the previous years 6r's were discounted $1K only and the dealer wouldn't go lower so I said fuck it! If I'm going to spend this much I rather pay for the one I fell in love with.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

CDN6R

Sparkxx1::: Your location shows NYC (New York City?). FZ6R's sold in North America are not restricted.

CDN6R

You are right Sage.. our bikes are retuned compared ,to the FZ6 and R6 ,our FZ6R's have more midrange power for better streetability. But the bikes sold in Australia are REstricted to about 1/2 the power output of a "regular" FZ6R engine like we have in Norh America.